This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

8Gb RAM will NOT be enough for Next Gen Xbox...

#41jimm120Posted 1/3/2013 4:38:51 PM
sonicteam2k1 posted...
for consoles I feel 4GB would be enough. I mean consoles don't have to do as much work as a PC.

but consoles are becoming a lot more than they used to be.

You see how the Wii U has 2 gb, but 1 whole GB is used for the Operating System and the other GB for gaming...Just shows that there's a lot of background processing now-a-days. And I think we can ALL agree that the Wii (and wii u) are the ones that are most far behind in all this.

so I expect the OS for the Xbox and the PS3 (both are much more extensive in their OS abilities) will require as much or a bit more. The rest for gaming.

I don't believe 8 gb. way too much for a console. 3, 4, or 6 gb
---
Worthy Indie: Trino - Shoot 1UP - Weapon of Choice - Your Doodles Are Bugged - Breath Of Death
Queued: You Will Die - Veks & Silence - Kaleidoscope - Olu
#42NintendologicalPosted 1/3/2013 4:44:53 PM
jimm120 posted...

You see how the Wii U has 2 gb, but 1 whole GB is used for the Operating System and the other GB for gaming...Just shows that there's a lot of background processing now-a-days.

That's because Nintendo's OS blows. That has nothing to do with how much RAM is needed. I have 5GB of RAM in my Mac Mini. I have Steam, Safari and the Activity Monitor opened and I still have over 1GB of unused RAM. And the only reason that much RAM is being used up is because one of my browser tabs has a Youtube video open (Flash for OS X is complete garbage).
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#43TheFeshPincePosted 1/3/2013 4:45:41 PM
CaPwnD posted...
*is crushed under wall of text*

haha
---
You wanna make me a sandwich?
#44triple sPosted 1/3/2013 4:58:17 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
If todays pattern is indication...it doesn't matter

I have 6GB of RAM on my PC and a see little to no difference between consoles and PC right now

BECAUSE...games are developed for consoles and ported over to PC's...they just up rez the textures to 1080p, and add mor fps...maybe a little extra fog...

Far cry 3 recommended RAM is 4-8GB...thats roughly 8-16x's the amount of RAM the 360 has...but in a side by side comparison...it just looks like the PC version (on ultra) is more clear...same textures same everything...

http://youtu.be/QT54QWvAOgQ

back in the day they used to develop for PC THEN dumb it down for consoles...but now they have gotten smarter and all games (except BF3) , have been designed from the weakest link...the console...

gaming is in a sad state right now, but they did it to themselves

The 1080p bump alone makes for much more detailed graphics. You have to be on some REALLY good drugs to not see the difference in graphics between PC and 360. Your 6GB of RAM has nothing to do with that...
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09
#45Pixx0Posted 1/3/2013 5:03:58 PM
s2good posted...
I think you guys are forgetting one thing...

This nextbox will need life cycle of at least 6-7 years. Maybe longer..

Who knows what kind of RAM we will need then to run games..

yeah right, and you're worried about RAM when we already know they'll put obsolete graphic cards in each system?

Genius....

pffft

FYI, running myself (among all my gaming systems) a gaming PC with "only" 6Go DDR3 and it runs everything at full specs without a problem.
FYI, again, next gen consoles might not even be able to pull graphics displayed by high end PCS from this gen (which means high rez with stable framerate, and all the magic you get from graphic options when running a PC game)...

again, pfft, talk about things you know, like, say YLOD or RROD.

THAT, should be your concern....
#46HughJorgennPosted 1/3/2013 5:08:50 PM
Santa_Gavin posted...
The reason being is that tech had improved dramatically over what was available 7 to 8 years ago. Much more than the average console gen. And there is a few reasons for it.

- The abnormal length of this gen
- High end GPUS have improved exponentially the past 5
years.
- High price of high end hardware will make consoles no longer accessible to the general public anymore if they do indeed go that route.

People buy consoles for 3 reasons mostly
-low entry cost
- ease of use
- friends

One of those reasons will be totally wiped out if the hope to compete tech wise.

PLUS they are talking about up-gradable hardware for next gen, which in theory is cool. But how many console owners are going to want to take apart their system and tinker with the build? Not many I imagine. At that point you just might as well be on PC.

I know some of you guys think Im a PC fanboy, and I kinda am. But I have my reasons, and stuff like this is pretty eye opening. To me at least.

WTF was that?^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who are you and what have you done with Santa_Gavin?
#47chrishu311Posted 1/3/2013 5:11:19 PM
You're silly. As an avid PC gamer, I can tell you that RAM is next to useless, and super cheap.

What matters is single-thread processor speed and VRAM. :P
---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#48aheroafakePosted 1/3/2013 5:12:51 PM
I'm not sure if any of you guys have read this article, but I think it's definitely worth reading. Check it out: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-consoles-vs-age-of-austerity
---
"ZOMG YOUR RADAR IS OUT LOLZ I SWEAR IM NOT 5 FT AWAY" - FFrulz2000 on Scrambler Perk
Xbox Live Gamertag: Capatan Azn Man
#49ChargrilledPosted 1/3/2013 5:12:54 PM
8GB of RAM is plenty. I mean look at what they can do with 512MGB of RAM. It's amazing of what they can pull off as is. 8GB will be plenty for a long time. Most PC games doesn't even go over 8GB of RAM.

---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#50Iceman83Posted 1/3/2013 5:19:40 PM
aheroafake posted...
I'm not sure if any of you guys have read this article, but I think it's definitely worth reading. Check it out: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-consoles-vs-age-of-austerity

Page Not Found.
---
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0