This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

8Gb RAM will NOT be enough for Next Gen Xbox...

#61squeeb1985Posted 1/3/2013 5:04:49 PM
shawnmck posted...
How is 8 Gigs of RAM not enough ?
Current consoles have 512 Megabits.
8 Gigs is plenty.

Or are you confusing RAM with Hard drive space ?

To put it in perspective, 8 Gigs is the equivalent of 65536 Megabits.
The XB 360 has 512 MB
8 Gigs = 65,536 MB

^ That's 128 times the amount of RAM that's in the XB 360.

How is that not enough ?

Check your math. Bits are almost never used to measure data storage space. Bits are only used so ISPs can inflate their speeds. 8 gigs is 16x what the 360 has.
---
GT: Beastwood5
#62shawnmckPosted 1/3/2013 5:11:20 PM
squeeb1985 posted...
shawnmck posted...
8 Gigs is plenty.

The XB 360 has 512 MB
8 Gigs = 65,536 MB

How is that not enough ?

Check your math. Bits are almost never used to measure data storage space. Bits are only used so ISPs can inflate their speeds. 8 gigs is 16x what the 360 has.

^ 16 times the amount the XB 360 has is still plenty (more than enough).
#63XImperialDragonPosted 1/3/2013 5:39:16 PM
All of the people saying the console needs more than 8GB of RAM don't understand the capacities of developing on a closed platform where software developers don't have to worry about differing hardware from system to system, causing bottlenecks and other strains on the program(s) running.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo DS. In this game, you set your DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#64anonymous4everPosted 1/3/2013 5:41:40 PM
TC, RAM hasn't been a true factor in gaming for years. The 360 has 512mb and performs admirably. 8 GB or more is pure overkill at this point. Hell, my PC only has 6 GB and runs the majority of games available, in high def, at very playable framerates.
#65TiamatKillerPosted 1/3/2013 5:48:11 PM
TC seems to have left the thread, but lol at thinking that the next consoles HAVE to have a longer lifecycle...no they don't.

This past gen was abnormal, not the other way around, and it's pretty obvious that the extended lifecycle created a 'wall' that people were unable to push past with the resources they had available.
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#66godplaysSNESPosted 1/3/2013 5:54:24 PM
Yes, everyone knows a console is more efficient than an equivalent PC

However, many here seem to far underestimate the importance of RAM.
The low amount of RAM(512MB) was the key reason the consoles didn't get the same Crysis 1 that the PC got.

A reason to why you don't see a game requring 8GB on the PC is because the PC versions are currently, for the most part, the console versions at a higher resolution. The PC games are currently also made for 32-bit OSes, not taking advantage of 64-bit.

Don't forget that the consoles aren't simply only for gaming anymore, they are offering more and more stuff.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#67therickmu25Posted 1/3/2013 6:00:24 PM
*Speed walks in from the Pc board*

8gb of RAM would be overkill amd outstretch the needs for the console because it doesn't have to run an operating system. It won't have anywhere near 8gb of RAM.

2GB of VRAM on the video card would be nice and maybe 1-2 GB to use other places. That's all.

*skips away*
---
http://i.imgur.com/34Fj8.jpg
#68AtomicPenguin76Posted 1/3/2013 6:08:33 PM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
A reason to why you don't see a game requring 8GB on the PC is because the PC versions are currently, for the most part, the console versions at a higher resolution. The PC games are currently also made for 32-bit OSes, not taking advantage of 64-bit.

Don't forget that the consoles aren't simply only for gaming anymore, they are offering more and more stuff.

The "more and more" stuff doesn't take more memory, though, than any game the console is going to run. Even 64-bit game applications on PC's rarely take more memory than their 32-bit counterparts, with exceptions that only include design software that isn't going to be run on a console by normal users anyway.

In any case, "8GB RAM" isn't enough information as to whether or not the consoles will perform well. Even in comparison to a PC, it's not enough information; there's no indication as to the design of the OS and its memory addressing or how that would have an effect on the software run on the device. There's no indication as to how much is restricted for OS use, shared VRAM or if it's even using it, and so on. 8GB of RAM on a console with 2GB dedicated VRAM is a lot different than an 8GB console with 2GB of shared VRAM, especially if Sony decides they want to push 4k resolutions on the PS4 to match their latest TV's...something that's just plain not going to happen without a hefty amount of memory dedicated to handling texture information.

It's all sort of a pointless argument. You can't just look at one aspect of the console and weigh it against other systems without more information on what ties it all together.
#69Devil_wings00Posted 1/3/2013 6:10:25 PM
Well they usually use what's standard at the time. They don't really future proof these things. 8GB is more then enough for something that is ONLY running games. I mean I have 8GB in my PC and that never comes close to being used at any point. Most games I play use between 4-5gb at most. So 8gb should be fine for quite a while. That being said I doubt it will even have that. More then likely they will probably underwhelm us all and have 4gb. Remember they have to keep costs down this time.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#70Skul_Posted 1/3/2013 6:10:26 PM
8 Gigs is plenty.

The XB 360 has 512 MB
8 Gigs = 65,536 MB

How is that not enough ?

So much fail in one small post.
---
[Consoles] are essentially just really low end PC's with child locks.-DaLaga
i5-2500-GTX550TI-8GB; DSi; 3DS; GBASP; Wii;Galaxy SIII; iPod Touch 4th Gen;