This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#1TravarkothPosted 1/4/2013 11:25:54 AM
My resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released. The lure of slaying irascible hunters with three like-minded Spartans by my side trumps the lone supersoldier experience, so I willfully ignore the greedy means that make such a feat possible. But I can no longer run from the harsh truth of reality like so many foolhardy grunts. Xbox Live Gold is an antiquated dinosaur that no longer fits within this industry. It's an exploitive service that takes advantage of people's innate desire to connect with others, charging significant money ($59.99/year, or $9.99/month) for features given away for free on competing platforms. As the next generation approaches, it's time for Microsoft to shelve this nickel-and-diming venture once and for all.

It's a concept that people who are immersed in gaming take for granted, but sounds downright crazy when viewed from a different angle. Shelling out your hard-earned cash for Halo 4 doesn't get you everything; you also need to pony up for a Gold subscription if you want access to the lion's share of content you paid for. The much-heralded multiplayer mode is completely closed off, as is playing through the campaign online with friends. Even Spartan Ops, which can be enjoyed alone if you pay Microsoft's subscription fee, is inexplicably kept away from people who don't part with some extra money. This is a ridiculous barrier that doesn't exist on any other system or in any other medium. Microsoft's ardent desire to force people to pay more money means that you might not get to experience the entire game that you just purchased.

[...] The reason why Microsoft insists on using this draconian pricing method is clear: They make money from it. But it's time that customers take precedence over coins. Cordoning off entire sections of a game from people who paid good money for that product is indefensible, and Microsoft is only hurting itself by forcing people to go through pay hoops to access non-gaming apps. Although my resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released, I recognize that Gold is an exploitive business practice that should disappear into the ether when the next generation arrives.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/xbox-live-no-longer-the-gold-standard-6401861/

Saw this on Gamespot, was interesting to read. What do you guys think?
---
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"
-- Paarthurnax --
#2nothingbeastPosted 1/4/2013 11:30:06 AM
Well, I suppose it's more eloquent than "Wah wah, i'm an entitled child. Gimme gimme gimme" but it reads about as deep.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#3popping4itPosted 1/4/2013 11:31:38 AM
makes no-sense. the article title is irresponsibly sensationalist and only further proves how much of a joke gaming editorials can be. the writer complains about pricing rather than the quality of the service.
---
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
#4TheBlueStigPosted 1/4/2013 11:31:46 AM
Just f***ing stop the bulls*** already, you get more than just online play when you pay for Gold, anybody who can't see that is just a Sony/Nintendo troll and doesn't have a 360.

Also, anybody who pays full price for Gold is lazy and stupid with their money. Anybody in the USA can get Gold completely free for many months in a row from Bing. There's always sales going on gold too.

Paying full price is for suckers.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5ARsignal11Posted 1/4/2013 11:33:14 AM
Regardless of how eloquently (or lack thereof) express their opinion, as long as people still think Xbox live actually costs them $60, I will continue to ignore what they say. If people are still paying more than $35/year for Live, they aren't doing this properly.
#6gabriusPosted 1/4/2013 11:34:49 AM
Travarkoth posted...
My resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released. The lure of slaying irascible hunters with three like-minded Spartans by my side trumps the lone supersoldier experience, so I willfully ignore the greedy means that make such a feat possible. But I can no longer run from the harsh truth of reality like so many foolhardy grunts. Xbox Live Gold is an antiquated dinosaur that no longer fits within this industry. It's an exploitive service that takes advantage of people's innate desire to connect with others, charging significant money ($59.99/year, or $9.99/month) for features given away for free on competing platforms. As the next generation approaches, it's time for Microsoft to shelve this nickel-and-diming venture once and for all.

It's a concept that people who are immersed in gaming take for granted, but sounds downright crazy when viewed from a different angle. Shelling out your hard-earned cash for Halo 4 doesn't get you everything; you also need to pony up for a Gold subscription if you want access to the lion's share of content you paid for. The much-heralded multiplayer mode is completely closed off, as is playing through the campaign online with friends. Even Spartan Ops, which can be enjoyed alone if you pay Microsoft's subscription fee, is inexplicably kept away from people who don't part with some extra money. This is a ridiculous barrier that doesn't exist on any other system or in any other medium. Microsoft's ardent desire to force people to pay more money means that you might not get to experience the entire game that you just purchased.

[...] The reason why Microsoft insists on using this draconian pricing method is clear: They make money from it. But it's time that customers take precedence over coins. Cordoning off entire sections of a game from people who paid good money for that product is indefensible, and Microsoft is only hurting itself by forcing people to go through pay hoops to access non-gaming apps. Although my resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released, I recognize that Gold is an exploitive business practice that should disappear into the ether when the next generation arrives.

The bolded is all you need to read to know that the author of this article is a complete moron.

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#7TBONE_OGPosted 1/4/2013 11:35:57 AM
Sigh... little boy problems.
---
Always O.G.
#8Gillian SeedPosted 1/4/2013 11:36:14 AM
Thanks for posting the full article. It's not that I'm too lazy to click a link. It's just that I think that article was written mainly to generate traffic.

Halo 4 cost me $40, and the 12+1 month card I just bought also cost me $40. I've been getting games and Live cheaper than I did on the original Xbox.
#9WinternovaPosted 1/4/2013 11:40:43 AM
gabrius posted...
Travarkoth posted...

The bolded is all you need to read to know that the author of this article is a complete moron.

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

$52.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10Mutant1988Posted 1/4/2013 11:40:49 AM
Or you realize that you pay for an actual service and don't buy the products that rely on said service for no good reason (Beyond increasing the perceived value of said service, that is).

Basically, don't buy Halo 4.

The Spartan Ops season format and Gold requirement is an obvious ploy to keep you playing and paying longer.

So exercise your rights as a consumer and don't?

Me? I'll buy the game once they release a version that includes the co-op content on disc. I'm not paying a monthly cost to get content piece meal.

If I was into being manipulated and economically exploited in that way, I would play an MMO.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.