This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#11Travarkoth(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 11:41:28 AM
Thanks for posting the full article.

It's actually just some of it. You can get modded for posting all the text from an article onto Gamefaqs, even if you post a link. :P
---
"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?"
-- Paarthurnax --
#12gabriusPosted 1/4/2013 11:43:04 AM
Winternova posted...
gabrius posted...
Travarkoth posted...
My resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released. The lure of slaying irascible hunters with three like-minded Spartans by my side trumps the lone supersoldier experience, so I willfully ignore the greedy means that make such a feat possible. But I can no longer run from the harsh truth of reality like so many foolhardy grunts. Xbox Live Gold is an antiquated dinosaur that no longer fits within this industry. It's an exploitive service that takes advantage of people's innate desire to connect with others, charging significant money ($59.99/year, or $9.99/month) for features given away for free on competing platforms. As the next generation approaches, it's time for Microsoft to shelve this nickel-and-diming venture once and for all.

It's a concept that people who are immersed in gaming take for granted, but sounds downright crazy when viewed from a different angle. Shelling out your hard-earned cash for Halo 4 doesn't get you everything; you also need to pony up for a Gold subscription if you want access to the lion's share of content you paid for. The much-heralded multiplayer mode is completely closed off, as is playing through the campaign online with friends. Even Spartan Ops, which can be enjoyed alone if you pay Microsoft's subscription fee, is inexplicably kept away from people who don't part with some extra money. This is a ridiculous barrier that doesn't exist on any other system or in any other medium. Microsoft's ardent desire to force people to pay more money means that you might not get to experience the entire game that you just purchased.

[...] The reason why Microsoft insists on using this draconian pricing method is clear: They make money from it. But it's time that customers take precedence over coins. Cordoning off entire sections of a game from people who paid good money for that product is indefensible, and Microsoft is only hurting itself by forcing people to go through pay hoops to access non-gaming apps. Although my resolve weakens whenever a new Halo is released, I recognize that Gold is an exploitive business practice that should disappear into the ether when the next generation arrives.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/xbox-live-no-longer-the-gold-standard-6401861/

Saw this on Gamespot, was interesting to read. What do you guys think?

The bolded is all you need to read to know that the author of this article is a complete moron.

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

$52.

$42.

I had a $10 Reward Zone certificate ;-)
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#13AkaimizuPosted 1/4/2013 11:45:18 AM(edited)
I think Microsoft will have this hold until the competing services offer everything Xbox Live offers. In one case, the competitor ran into hardware issues not capable of supporting all of Live's features. The other, still working on getting their online communication and messaging services up to the level of capability the other offer.

Next gen will likely not have the same mistake made twice, so I definitely hope (as I've been hoping for 10+ years (yes, since the Dreamcast)) that others get to the point that they offer the exact same competitive online edge or better, but they often insist on too many online subsystems being up to the individual developer to support. This is the biggest breakdown in overall service as for the competition, the level of capable online systems available to the player, at any one time, vastly change between one game or the other.

There just isn't a level of consistent community-aiding support. (<-- This line sums up what I stated above, and needs to be made clear to absolutely everybody. This is exactly THE one factor people leave out of the whole online argument which is precisely why Live wins.) Thus why only Steam PC even comes close. At least it has an over-arching subsystem of community communication and such which doesn't depend on the individual developer doing it themselves. Miiverse is a start, but there's a number of things not currently implemented which make it not even as user-friendly or chat-supporting as XBL or PSN messaging. Lack of multi-user messaging is one thing.

Anyway, I truly hope others get a clue and move things up so that Xbox Live has no better choice than to drop the fee and simply utilize the highly successful Marketplace dividends for Live support. They certainly make enough consistent cash flow from that alone. Partially because people spend a lot of money buying digital on that console.

Still, as others said. It's very easy to spend way less than $60 for Xbox Live Gold. You don't even have to do much research to do it.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#14Gillian SeedPosted 1/4/2013 11:46:19 AM
>> "It's actually just some of it.

There was more of that!?
#15zerooo0Posted 1/4/2013 11:51:40 AM
$60 a year really isn't that much. I pay more for gas money a month than I do with XBL.
---
Average mind set of SOME GFaq Users
If it's the same it's boring. If it's different condemn it to death.
#16SolisPosted 1/4/2013 11:51:53 AM
gabrius posted...
$42.

I had a $10 Reward Zone certificate ;-)

Wow, and you call someone else a moron for their misguided concept of product cost? There's irony for you.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#17karlpilkington4Posted 1/4/2013 11:52:19 AM
zerooo0 posted...
$60 a year really isn't that much. I pay more for gas money a month than I do with XBL.

0 isnt that much either bud
*plays PSN
---
Is this the Krusty Krab? No this is Patrick!!
#18ilikemilkmmmPosted 1/4/2013 11:55:04 AM
the way I see it, Live is like buying a cheeseburger but it comes in a lockbox. lockbox keys cost extra. you still get the whole cheeseburger so its not a scam right?

Live just doesnt provide value on its own anymore, just as a block to other products that DO provide value. thats a scam...
#19zerooo0Posted 1/4/2013 11:56:11 AM
karlpilkington4 posted...
zerooo0 posted...

0 isnt that much either bud
*plays PSN

I play both so I don't see your point. Although I only play PSN for fighters, and a few RPGs. Everything else goes to my Xbox. I don't mind paying for Gas, or XBL because I have the money to do so.
---
Average mind set of SOME GFaq Users
If it's the same it's boring. If it's different condemn it to death.
#20ilikemilkmmmPosted 1/4/2013 11:58:31 AM
theres no reason for MS NOT to charge for live next gen...theyve obviously already conditioned the majority of their consumerbase to believe that paying for the ability to play games theyve already purcahsed p2p no less is reasonable and fair.