This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#111Just_The_TipPosted 1/4/2013 6:01:48 PM
kewl story Bro Namath
---
Bernard, don't be a tuna head
#112thisranksPosted 1/4/2013 6:14:18 PM
CaPwnD posted...
The article also fails to address other issues, such as download speeds, bottle necking for items in high demand, and the draconian approach to updates that the PS3 uses compared to the 5 second updates that the 360 uses.

That issue is dependant on a number of things besides PSN. I downloaded Record of Agarest War from PSN during the evening on the east coast in ~28 minutes. That's a 9.228 GB game and my DL/UL speed is usually between 26-30/3-6 mbs per sec. DLs rarely give me issues at all on PS3.

That's coming from someone who lives in a house that has a 360 and PS3 on the same router. From helping set up the 360 i observed that the DL difference was pretty much the same, and i spent 3 1/2 hours setting up and installing games and apps on that 360.

Actually dealing with both first hand made me realize how much the DL issue people complain about regarding PSN isn't as real as it's made out to be, but we are on the XBOX boards so...
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#113CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 6:20:42 PM
CaPwnD posted...
The article also fails to address other issues, such as download speeds, bottle necking for items in high demand, and the draconian approach to updates that the PS3 uses compared to the 5 second updates that the 360 uses.

That issue is dependant on a number of things besides PSN. I downloaded Record of Agarest War from PSN during the evening on the east coast in ~28 minutes. That's a 9.228 GB game and my DL/UL speed is usually between 26-30/3-6 mbs per sec. DLs rarely give me issues at all on PS3.

That's coming from someone who lives in a house that has a 360 and PS3 on the same router. From helping set up the 360 i observed that the DL difference was pretty much the same, and i spent 3 1/2 hours setting up and installing games and apps on that 360.

Actually dealing with both first hand made me realize how much the DL issue people complain about regarding PSN isn't as real as it's made out to be, but we are on the XBOX boards so...

I too have a PS3 and 3 xbox 360s on one router, and I've seen the difference. I know PSN can be fast but it bottlenecks more than XBL does. Whether it's prime time or a high demand download.
---
Thrash Zone
#114CalistoCoonPosted 1/4/2013 6:21:00 PM
I'm a diehard Xbox 360 fan and I really think PSN Plus is a better deal at this point. However Microsoft could sway me if they made Silver like how gold is now for free and offer Gold which can offer a few more incentives and no ads.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#115MichaeIPachterPosted 1/4/2013 6:24:29 PM
All I see in that article is an entitled whiner who thinks he should get all the value of Xbox live for free.
---
It's a profit deal.
#116somebody336Posted 1/4/2013 6:27:36 PM
60 bucks for a year service isnt so bad. Sheesh how much do they pay those broke whiners at Gamespot >_>
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
#117thisranksPosted 1/4/2013 6:28:31 PM
Continued from previous post..

Regardless of the similarities and differences, complaining about it isn't going to change much THIS gen. I do think it will matter more with the next XBOX though.

As for it no longer being the gold standard, while the article does make some salient points it's the decision of the individual to decide the worth of something. There's no denying that XBOX has a few services PSN users would love to have. I certainly wouldn't pay 60 bucks just for voice chat, but i'd bet most PSN + users would.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#118NightDrifter05Posted 1/4/2013 6:42:11 PM
When I first got my PS3 I much like other people thought PSN sucked but after all the changes made to Xbox live PSN is not only faster but the service has become more reliable. Xbox Live seem's to crash in some way shape or form on a weekly basis where as PSN hasn't been down for me in month's (not talking about predetermined maintenance). PSN since the hacking incident has became far far better of a service then Xbox Live has and paying for PS+ to me is far better then paying for Xbox Live which is why I no longer maintain a constant gold membership instead I maintain a constant PS+ subscription and just take advantage of free gold I can find in games, get from bing, given from a friend, or the few free weekends offered up by Microsoft.

I can easily say now anyone who doesn't see how far superior PSN is now either hasn't used PSN in the last year or is nothing more then a Microsoft fanboy.
#119CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 7:07:49 PM
I can easily say now anyone who doesn't see how far superior PSN is now either hasn't used PSN in the last year or is nothing more then a Microsoft fanboy.

And I can easily say that if your'e getting booted off XBL weekly then something's wrong with your network. Your broken network doesn't make PSN better, silly goose.
---
Thrash Zone
#120CaliberChampPosted 1/4/2013 7:40:30 PM
I agree with what the Gamespot guy said. It's the fact of being taken advantage of that hurts my trust and loyalty with Microsoft which is why I no longer care about supporting Microsoft anymore. No matter how good the Xbox 720 seems to be, I will never get caught up into buying from them again. Windows phones suck as well and are overpriced and definitely not worth the price. I don't see any changes in Microsoft so screw them, I started boycotting them after I brought Halo 4.
---
Recommended games: Guild Wars 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Batman arkham city, Brutal Legend
Terrible games: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Diablo 3, X-Com, War Z