This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#141wheepitupPosted 1/5/2013 6:42:57 AM
CaPwnD posted...
Hey dedbus, why don't you invite me to a party on PSN and we'll talk about it.

You can do that, right?

Hey, he could invite you to a skype group chat, you do have a device capable of using skype like 98% of the civilized world has right?
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter
#142wheepitupPosted 1/5/2013 6:49:31 AM
I also love the...

"More people have mics on xbox live therefor it's better!"

Yay, more 12 year olds acting hard on Call of Duty and not actually strategizing at ALL. Seriously there is no advantage to having more people on the in game chat talking, other than being annoyed by them and going into the player list to mute them.

If you wanna use strategy you chat with your friends. How are you gonna part chat with more than 4 people at a time? Use skype.
---
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/decayedmatter
#143XxManyStyleSxXPosted 1/5/2013 8:12:32 AM
Party chat is not a feature that costs MS money, Its an extremely basic VOIP feature that dozens of companies offer literally for free. Online gaming clients that offer p2p hosting are free all over the net as well. A demo is an advertisement, not a service. Companies would cover the cost of hosting demos if they had to. Nothing MS provides via Xbox Live is a service that itself is worth any value compared to competitors. We pay it because we have sunk cost into the console and our games, and we have to pay the toll to get our full value out of those things.
#144CapwnDPosted 1/5/2013 8:19:09 AM
How are you gonna part chat with more than 4 people at a time? Use skype.

Or you could just press a few buttons and party chat with 8 friends on XBL.

Seriously there is no advantage to having more people on the in game chat talking, other than being annoyed by them and going into the player list to mute them.

Well it sounds like you either play at the wrong time of day or perhaps instigate problems. There's normal people out there too, if you're normal yourself.

So I guess you are saying that you would prefer a less social experience?

Hey, he could invite you to a skype group chat, you do have a device capable of using skype like 98% of the civilized world has right?

That's kind of inconvenient, considering XBL is built right into the device that every single person who is playing the game has immediate access to.

And update hell? Get faster internet,

My internet is plenty fast. When you have to download and install 9 updates fast internet could make the difference of it being an all day event or just an hour or so, I guess.

I used to respect you man, but you've become such a puppet.

Who am I, Rodney Dangerfield now? "I get no respect, no respect"

Xbox Live Free?

Those that don't pay for XBL still benefit on such things as demos for all XBLA games and it has nothing to do with updates...but that's ok, I know you're just reaching to try to make some kind of point.

Why don't you accept my group video chat on Xbox Live or have our avatars meet in my personal 3D environment that I customized, and we'll talk about it there.

You're not talking about gaming anymore, right? Because that doesn't really do anything when you're hooking up with friends while gaming, as the come online and go offline.
---
Thrash Zone
#145wisdom_cubePosted 1/5/2013 8:21:44 AM
Unfortunately there is no real competition from other console manufacturer's at this point. Sony is taking steps to reach the current level of xbox live, but so far xbox live gold is the standard for online in console gaming, so there is the perceived value for the product and they can charge a premium for it.

At this point, microsoft would only be in trouble if Valve's steambox does come in 2013 and is a direct competitor the durango. With Steam you'd be getting a substantially better service for free, and there's already a several million player install base because of the pc market, so community isn't an issue.
---
thurs a partay in mai armer adn ur invit3d!1
2500k || Sapphire 7950 OC || P67-GD65 || 1TB HDD
#146SolisPosted 1/5/2013 10:22:02 AM
CaPwnD posted...
Xbox Live Free?

Those that don't pay for XBL still benefit on such things as demos for all XBLA games and it has nothing to do with updates...but that's ok, I know you're just reaching to try to make some kind of point.

And yet Xbox Live Free members are cut off from the most important online community features available (specifically online communication and group chat). PS3 users are not.

And your constant proclamation of "demos for all XBLA games" is entirely irrelevant to the issue, and in no way justifies locking out basic features behind fees.

You're not talking about gaming anymore, right? Because that doesn't really do anything when you're hooking up with friends while gaming, as the come online and go offline.

Err, what? Being able to communicate directly with a group of people or explore a 3D environment where you can view game media, explore zones offering information and events for games, and play games online directly with your avatar aren't related to gaming?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#147MeldincePosted 1/5/2013 12:52:32 PM
can some of you muckety mucks post where you get gold at discounted rates?
i've looked and never find anything. the best i got was a couple free games from the console ads. games lasted me an hour at the most.
#148ILikesCheesePosted 1/5/2013 1:16:03 PM
gabrius posted...
Travarkoth posted...
...($59.99/year, or $9.99/month)

The bolded is all you need to read to know that the author of this article is a complete moron.

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

ARsignal11 posted...
... If people are still paying more than $35/year for Live, they aren't doing this properly.

TheBlueStig posted...
Paying full price is for suckers.

What you kiddies fail to realize is that those of us of a certain age, or who also have full time jobs and lives beyond the computer and gaming screens, don't take the time to hunt down every possible bargain such as Xbox LIVE for less than the $60 a year.

I understand most of you who share this "You're paying too much for Live if you are paying full price" attitude troll the Best Buy and Toys R Us and Amazon every 5 minutes for deals such as this, but the rest of us simply cannot be bothered. Our time is more important than the $10 to $20 we would be saving.

I understand you guys with your paper routes and Burger King jobs need to save as many dimes as you can, but don't impart your economies of scale on the rest of us. Also, I somehow doubt that you are the type to do extreme couponing and (assuming Mommie doesn't buy your groceries) probably spend too much at the store whereas a more savvy customer would criticize you in the same way as you berate those of us who pay full price for our online gaming service.

Now, get off your high horses because you are not wise enough to ride them.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#149TheBlueStigPosted 1/5/2013 1:25:33 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
What you kiddies fail to realize is that those of us of a certain age, or who also have full time jobs and lives beyond the computer and gaming screens, don't take the time to hunt down every possible bargain such as Xbox LIVE for less than the $60 a year.

I understand most of you who share this "You're paying too much for Live if you are paying full price" attitude troll the Best Buy and Toys R Us and Amazon every 5 minutes for deals such as this, but the rest of us simply cannot be bothered. Our time is more important than the $10 to $20 we would be saving.

So you're saying that just because you ASSUME that you're older, that you wasting money is somehow better or a higher status symbol than people who like to save money and buy other things with it?

Full of it much?

Oh and I can guarantee that you have plenty of time throughout the day to do a 30 second search for a sale on something.

People like you are the reason for the economy being in the crapper, arrogant people who LIKE to waste money for no logical reason.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#150otisanimePosted 1/5/2013 3:58:59 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
gabrius posted...
Travarkoth posted...
...($59.99/year, or $9.99/month)

The bolded is all you need to read to know that the author of this article is a complete moron.

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

ARsignal11 posted...
... If people are still paying more than $35/year for Live, they aren't doing this properly.

TheBlueStig posted...
Paying full price is for suckers.

I understand you guys with your paper routes and Burger King jobs need to save as many dimes as you can, but don't impart your economies of scale on the rest of us. Also, I somehow doubt that you are the type to do extreme couponing and (assuming Mommie doesn't buy your groceries) probably spend too much at the store whereas a more savvy customer would criticize you in the same way as you berate those of us who pay full price for our online gaming service.

Now, get off your high horses because you are not wise enough to ride them.

Did you just seriously say that? That's... something.

Okay, let me get this straight, you can't be bothered to spend about one minute getting a deal, and would rather just throw extra money at it so you can ignore it? Why? :x That's not making your time valuable. That's just flat out being wasteful.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)