This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#151sockesockePosted 1/5/2013 4:03:14 PM
was this topic really necessary?
---
MotiJr:Sony copied George Foreman grills with their playstation 3 design.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#152oomomowPosted 1/5/2013 4:11:41 PM
Fist of all. It has been told that you have to pay for online for the PS4. Second, it does suck that you have to pay for gold.
---
V
#153ILikesCheesePosted 1/5/2013 5:37:35 PM
oomomow posted...
Fist of all. It has been told that you have to pay for online for the PS4. Second, it does suck that you have to pay for gold.

Link? OFFICIAL SONY link?
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#154ILikesCheesePosted 1/5/2013 5:42:46 PM
otisanime posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
What you kiddies fail to realize is that those of us of a certain age, or who also have full time jobs and lives beyond the computer and gaming screens, don't take the time to hunt down every possible bargain such as Xbox LIVE for less than the $60 a year.

I understand most of you who share this "You're paying too much for Live if you are paying full price" attitude troll the Best Buy and Toys R Us and Amazon every 5 minutes for deals such as this, but the rest of us simply cannot be bothered. Our time is more important than the $10 to $20 we would be saving.

I understand you guys with your paper routes and Burger King jobs need to save as many dimes as you can, but don't impart your economies of scale on the rest of us. Also, I somehow doubt that you are the type to do extreme couponing and (assuming Mommie doesn't buy your groceries) probably spend too much at the store whereas a more savvy customer would criticize you in the same way as you berate those of us who pay full price for our online gaming service.

Now, get off your high horses because you are not wise enough to ride them.

Did you just seriously say that? That's... something.

Okay, let me get this straight, you can't be bothered to spend about one minute getting a deal, and would rather just throw extra money at it so you can ignore it? Why? :x That's not making your time valuable. That's just flat out being wasteful.

Yep.

Proudly.

Like I said, I get tired of these children thinking this is a valid argument point. It is not. Also, like I said, I don't see them being big with grocery store coupons. So don't talk to me about being "wasteful" or "lazy" if your mama buys your food or you don't bother with triple coupon days. :D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#155TrugamerPosted 1/5/2013 5:56:50 PM
Charging for XBL made sense for MS when Halo was king **** and everyone else was still failing around at some kind of online service but that is obviously not the case anymore.

But as they keep increasing the pricing it's making it an easier decision to go without if you have another option in your house.

I have been on XBL since day one and now having both 360 and PS3 and seeing first hand how PSN is catching up and in many cases surpassing the VALUE of a $60 XBL membership for the cost of plus or even free in some ways.
I find myself no longer able to validate a reason to stay on XBL as I no longer care about Halo and have never cared about GoW or Forza and I have made sure not to buy a bunch of DLC that would go to waste should I stop using XBL.
I might still eventually end up with a MS console next gen but that is no longer a given as I will clearly be looking at Sony first so I can get out of paying for online gaming.
#156gabriusPosted 1/7/2013 7:30:54 AM
XBL Gold is worth paying for.

SO IS PSN+
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#157cup_a_soupPosted 1/7/2013 9:26:38 AM(edited)
Nintendological posted...
CaPwnD posted...

You're comparing PC to 360. PSN is not the same service as XBL. You can try to spin it any way you want, it does not the same thing like that article says.

1) What does it matter if I am comparing Xbox 360 and PC? You are yourself comparing Playstation and Xbox, just as I was. Platform considerations are irrelevant. We are comparing a specific type of service offered across all game platforms for this generation be it mobile, handheld, computer or console. It is fair grounds for discussion, especially between Xbox and PC as both platforms use Xbox Live (even though it is renamed Games For Windows Live on the PC).

2) What does PSN not do? It offers a friend list, voice chat, online gaming, gamer rankings, trophy tracking (trophies are the PSN equivalent of achievements). You say they are not similar services, yet you state nothing that really proves that claim.

Lastly, I am not spinning anything. I'm observing and stating the facts. And rather than address the qualm I raise about paying for a service that is offered for free on every other competing platform, you instead wish to derail the discussion by attempting to downplay my argument. You don't have to agree with or like facts. They stand true regardless of your feelings. Sorry to disappoint you.

1- GFWL and Xbox for Windows is not anywhere near as feature rich as Xbox Live on the 360.

2- Syncing Trophies a requirement, constant waves of server shut downs compared to just EA or 2K (MS should insist on not allowing that to happen next gen), not every game has trophies to begin with, demos are not available for even half the library.... In other words a much more inconsistent service. Also the fact that patches and DLC isn't region exclusive. Many times patches and DLC have been released everywhere except Europe. This nonsense just does not happen on XBL.
#158The_DordPosted 1/7/2013 10:31:45 AM
Well the thing is, It shouldn't be around $60 (without discounts) per year if we have to see the ads.

I wouldn't actually mind the ads if it was around $20-$30 per year, but as it stands it's like paying them to watch ads (Don't tell me you are unaware how long it takes the console to start up to the main menu when you boot up!)
---
Mmmm... Bacon!!
#159ILikesCheesePosted 1/10/2013 9:04:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#160gabriusPosted 1/10/2013 9:11:53 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
Hey look!

A topic where people say "If you pay $60 a year for XBL, you're stupid!"

No one EVER talks about that on this board!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/65136870?page=1#52

Talk about one lazy ass troll.... and it wasn't funny the first time I had to read it either.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius