This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#41tokenblackguy23Posted 1/4/2013 1:37:51 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Just f***ing stop the bulls*** already, you get more than just online play when you pay for Gold, anybody who can't see that is just a Sony/Nintendo troll and doesn't have a 360.

Also, anybody who pays full price for Gold is lazy and stupid with their money. Anybody in the USA can get Gold completely free for many months in a row from Bing. There's always sales going on gold too.

Paying full price is for suckers.

Paying to access your online content is for suckers regardless of cost.
---
Baltimore Ravens!!!!!
#42nothingbeastPosted 1/4/2013 1:43:36 PM
and if anyone has criticism, call them entitled!

When I see a criticism that amounts to more than "I want free just because", I'll call it something else.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#43WinternovaPosted 1/4/2013 1:48:49 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
I'd like to get it for free too but it isn't...just like most things I want...

He is right though...we used to be able to justify the price because of the security, and the extra service we get behind it...but as competitors catch up it's pretty obvious they are going to have to change something up...

Yeah, the competitors will start charging.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#44FishbulbPosted 1/4/2013 1:49:38 PM
I refuse to pay for Xbox Gold next generation if Microsoft keeps it as a pay feature on their console if Sony and Nintendo have online play for free.
---
Broadcasting your religious faith in a sig is obnoxious. All who agree copy/paste this sig.
#45NintendologicalPosted 1/4/2013 1:55:32 PM
The problem isn't that Xbox Live is a bad service. And the article makes that clear. The issue is that Xbox users continue to support paying for online features that other platforms give away for free. Steam supports servers, achievements, friend list, gamer rankings and voice chat. Even if you play games not bought through steam, you can add them to your library and have access to your friend list and voice chat.

What is truly mind boggling is that access to things like Hulu and Netflix require an Xbox Live subscription. So even if you don't care about online games but you want to use some of these cool media features for your Xbox, you wind up having to shell out for Xbox Live anyways. Mean while, the Wii and PS3 can play Netflix without you having to subscribe to a premium service in addition to subscribing to Netflix.

Even Live for PC is absolutely free and it literally supports the EXACT same features as Live for Xbox. Admit it Xbox fans, you spent seven years getting duped into paying for something that everyone else gets for free. You are the emperor and everyone else now realizes you are naked. Harsh, but true.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#46CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 2:06:35 PM(edited)
ven Live for PC is absolutely free and it literally supports the EXACT same features as Live for Xbox.

You're comparing PC to 360. PSN is not the same service as XBL. You can try to spin it any way you want, it does not the same thing like that article says.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#47ptreemf12Posted 1/4/2013 2:12:02 PM(edited)
I don't like how much of that article or whatever it is is worded. Sounds snobbish and over dramatized. "My resolve weakens..." Yeah okay. Only thing I hate about Live right now is the ads. They weren't there originally... so why add them now? Also, the recent dashboard updates have looked really ugly in my opinion.
---
White FC [Panda]: 3783 - 6584 - 4908
White 2 FC [Liz]: 2666 - 9974 - 6792
#48Fou LuPosted 1/4/2013 2:21:03 PM
I don't play Halo 4, so I could care less. Fact is, even though PS3 and PC are free to play multiplayer games online, they have the lower populations in most of their games. People WANT to pay for Xbox Gold.

When ME3 had community events, the 360 always had the highest number of participants. Next would be the PC, and dead last would be the PS3.

When we look at MMOs on the PC, the most successful would be World of Warcraft, which has a $15 monthly fee. That's 10 million people paying $15 a month to play it. Other MMOs fail and have to go free to play, earning money on micro-transactions.

Seems to me that people want to pay money to play online.. Whether it's monthly fees or micro-transactions.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#49NintendologicalPosted 1/4/2013 2:30:14 PM
CaPwnD posted...

You're comparing PC to 360. PSN is not the same service as XBL. You can try to spin it any way you want, it does not the same thing like that article says.

1) What does it matter if I am comparing Xbox 360 and PC? You are yourself comparing Playstation and Xbox, just as I was. Platform considerations are irrelevant. We are comparing a specific type of service offered across all game platforms for this generation be it mobile, handheld, computer or console. It is fair grounds for discussion, especially between Xbox and PC as both platforms use Xbox Live (even though it is renamed Games For Windows Live on the PC).

2) What does PSN not do? It offers a friend list, voice chat, online gaming, gamer rankings, trophy tracking (trophies are the PSN equivalent of achievements). You say they are not similar services, yet you state nothing that really proves that claim.

Lastly, I am not spinning anything. I'm observing and stating the facts. And rather than address the qualm I raise about paying for a service that is offered for free on every other competing platform, you instead wish to derail the discussion by attempting to downplay my argument. You don't have to agree with or like facts. They stand true regardless of your feelings. Sorry to disappoint you.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#50HENTAIDOJIPosted 1/4/2013 2:36:11 PM(edited)
You actually want to pay more?

I would actually like a price increase from $60 to $80.

Why? To upset the haters even more. That would be worth $20.

Paying to access your online content is for suckers regardless of cost.

This is like bemoaning your Internet provider that they're withholding your free youtube videos if you don't pay your bills.

Yeah, the competitors will start charging.

Already happened, remember when PSN was 100% free, now Sony witholds content for the paying customer. Except this isn't paying for a decent online service, this is the online service staying as woefully poor as its always been, but chucking a subscription based rental service with limited freedom on what you rent.

It's like instead of getting a patch to make the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption as good as the 360 version, it got an *exclusive* downloadable hat. It's more a veiled attempt at an apology.

Even Live for PC is absolutely free and it literally supports the EXACT same features as Live for Xbox.

On PC, you can get lots of things for free that *legally* you "should" pay for. Doesn't mean because I can get free movies on questionable sites, netflix should do away with it's subscription model because it's "antiquated"
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg