This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#71dj___rollPosted 1/4/2013 2:45:06 PM
Quote:

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

@gabrius

So you got a deal. The MSRP is $59.99/year or $9.99/month. I don't get how you can say otherwise. Fanboys...
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#72WinterstarPosted 1/4/2013 2:49:20 PM
One would think Xbox Live's maintenance and profitability could actually be supported by the plethora of ads all over the dashboard alone, considering advertising is outrageously lucrative (with out of the 9 titles that makes up the Home tab of the dashboard, only 3 of them are actually used for your gaming and personalization while the remaining are all advertising about games, music and movies).

Only one of those is sold, that being the tile in the lower right hand corner.
---
Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks
#73WinterstarPosted 1/4/2013 2:50:52 PM
Quote:

I just got 12 months + 3200MSP for $42 earlier this week - obviously someone is doing this thing totally wrong.

@gabrius

So you got a deal. The MSRP is $59.99/year or $9.99/month. I don't get how you can say otherwise. Fanboys...

Because deals are easy to find?
---
Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks
#74SolisPosted 1/4/2013 2:51:30 PM
CaPwnD posted...
The article says that they are the same thing.

It never said that.

CaPwnD posted...
The article also fails to address other issues, such as download speeds, bottle necking for items in high demand, and the draconian approach to updates that the PS3 uses compared to the 5 second updates that the 360 uses.

Nor does it touch on the many online features that the PS3 supports which the Xbox 360 has no equivalent to, fee-based or otherwise. Because neither of these things relate to the main point.

And, really? The PS3's methods for updates are "draconian", yet it's on the Xbox 360 that developers are forced to adhere to size limits and certification fees while not even giving the end user the option to keep patches from being deleted automatically by the system? I think you have that backwards.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#75ironbruPosted 1/4/2013 2:57:36 PM
Xbox Live should be free IMO, especially now that a lot of games have online passes. Xbox users are basically paying 3 times to play their games online. The fact that Microsoft are charging you to play online when your own console is the server is ridiculous IMO. All those extra things Xbox Live gives you (such as Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, web browser etc) are either free on pretty much everything else or not available in my country too.

Also from my experience with both PSN and Xbox Live (pretty much used both from the launch of both services) I can't truly say one is better than the other. While I sometimes get disconnected from PSN I get lag way more on Xbox Live than PSN and disconnected just as much. Download speeds are much faster on Xbox Live though.

The sheer amount of ads Xbox live has should mean it's free too since Microsoft get a crap load of money from that. Hell it has way more ads than PSN and that is a free service! Pretty much the only thing Xbox Live has over PSN is party chat (which PSN does have but only on the Vita) which IMO isn't worth the cost of Xbox Live.

The only reason they charge for it is because people keep paying for it.
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#76CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 2:59:12 PM
CaPwnD posted...
The article says that they are the same thing.

It never said that.

CaPwnD posted...
The article also fails to address other issues, such as download speeds, bottle necking for items in high demand, and the draconian approach to updates that the PS3 uses compared to the 5 second updates that the 360 uses.

Nor does it touch on the many online features that the PS3 supports which the Xbox 360 has no equivalent to, fee-based or otherwise. Because neither of these things relate to the main point.

And, really? The PS3's methods for updates are "draconian", yet it's on the Xbox 360 that developers are forced to adhere to size limits and certification fees while not even giving the end user the option to keep patches from being deleted automatically by the system? I think you have that backwards.

The article says that Xbox Live is no longer the gold standard, yet I'm finding that the the experience on Xbox Live is much different on the PS3.

Once you get past the patches on the PS3, the experience of playing with your friends is not the same. They don't have the nice quality party chat channel where you can stage up with your friends and figure out who's going to who's lobby.

It sounds like the gold standard to him is whatever is cheapest. If that's the gold standard, then by all means... go with PSN.

I've never had a problem trying to keep a patch, not sure why that would be a problem. And many games (maybe all new games? I don't know) have the patch stored with the game save, and does not clear out with the cache. So I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make about that. Why would you want to keep old patches anyways?
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#77CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 3:05:58 PM
I suppose his idea of the gold standard of food is McDonalds.

Hey... it's cheap! And you get similar food!
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#78MrFailPosted 1/4/2013 3:08:47 PM
Winterstar posted...
Quote:

@gabrius

Being totally serious... where was this/is it still going on?

Cuz i sure didn't know about it.
#79danh35Posted 1/4/2013 3:10:58 PM
Winterstar posted...
Quote:

@gabrius

This. It seems at least 5 times in the past month Newegg has had 12 months of Live on daily deals for less than $40. 12 month cards were $39.99 at Best Buy this last week. If you pay MSRP for Live, or anything else for that matter, you either don't care to save money or just don't want to put in minimal effort to find a deal.
#80Arucard05Posted 1/4/2013 3:11:05 PM
Man, you guys really love paying for things.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.