This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

#91CapwnDPosted 1/4/2013 4:58:57 PM
It's weird how people say that there's no ads on PSN. So what's that scrolling on the XMB? And what are those things that looks like ads when you boot up the PS3 to the home page?
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#92NintendologicalPosted 1/4/2013 5:07:23 PM
CaPwnD posted...
You say they are not similar services

I never said that.

Hmmmm....

CaPwnD posted...
PSN is not the same service as XBL

Please don't make a semantic argument over the words, "similar" and "same" as the implication I am addressing should be clear...
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#93NintendologicalPosted 1/4/2013 5:29:11 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...

I would say the same applies on Xbox live, except covering hundreds of games.

This still does not explain why any number of other PC MMO's are free to play (and I don't mean ad revenue based or DLC skimming) ...unless you're suggesting WoW is a MMO made of more which I would say it is....and certainly worth more in the eyes of it's users , much like XBL.

There is some truth to that, but it is not nearly on the same level as something as large as WoW. Also, Microsoft doesn't even manage most of the game servers. Many publishers still handle their own servers, but Microsoft charges you separately, regardless of whether or not the server is theirs. Microsoft does offer server use for publishers, but that is aimed at small studios that can't afford to have their own.

Free-To-Play MMO games don't charge you to use the servers, but instead nickel-and-dime you on everything else. You can grind to level up and earn gear, but it will take you five times as long to achieve even the simplest of goals compared to players that pay for gear and experience, thus compelling the user to spend money on micro-transactions. It is a different business model, but users pay money either way.

But the precedent is still the same. One product or service is free here, the same product or service is not free there.

They are not the same because one is something illegal and the other is legal. We can compare for instance the Xbox Live Marketplace movie rental service to a service like iTunes. If one were to complain that iTunes offers PC and Mac users the ability to rent and buy movies in real currency where as Microsoft forces you to use their undesirable MS points system, one would not then bring up that people can get free movies on PC by illegally downloading them, thus making it "unfair" to compare iTunes to the Xbox Live Marketplace. Do you get the point which I am endeavoring to illustrate?

Well that's easy. On PC, none of those service are routed through Xbox Live. If you want it *free* on Xbox 360, just route your PC playback through WMC.

Netflix servers are hosted on Amazon. Microsoft has jack-of-crap to do with Netflix hosting. Don't be fooled. EVERYONE else can access Netflix without paying a middleman. I can watch Netflix on my phone, tablet or Mac, a Wii, Playstation, Apple TV etc, and I don't have to pay the hardware manufacturer a dime just because I'm using their hardware to do it.

Internet access is something you pay your ISP for. You pay for the Xbox 360 which in this case is your media hub. Microsoft doesn't host Netflix films or provide you with internet service. There is no objective or subjective reason to pay an additional fee for Netflix access.

Well not all free movies are illegal (Crackle for example). Does Crackle's library make ill of any store that sells these movies?

Crackle runs ads, which is how the content is paid for. The viewer may not pay a direct monetary cost, but you lose time by having to watch ads, and content licenses and hosting expenditures are paid for by sponsors.

TBH, this whole Live Vs. PSN more or less applies in the same way as Netflix Vs. Crackle.

They're both a movie streaming service.
The free one is more limited than the subscription based one.

That is still not accurate. A better example, but not accurate. One would first have to compare the library offered by Crackle to the library offered by Netflix. That is a bit more nuanced than comparing the short feature list offered by Xbox Live compared to PSN.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#94otisanimePosted 1/4/2013 5:43:54 PM
Nintendological posted...
The problem isn't that Xbox Live is a bad service. And the article makes that clear. The issue is that Xbox users continue to support paying for online features that other platforms give away for free. Steam supports servers, achievements, friend list, gamer rankings and voice chat. Even if you play games not bought through steam, you can add them to your library and have access to your friend list and voice chat.

What is truly mind boggling is that access to things like Hulu and Netflix require an Xbox Live subscription. So even if you don't care about online games but you want to use some of these cool media features for your Xbox, you wind up having to shell out for Xbox Live anyways. Mean while, the Wii and PS3 can play Netflix without you having to subscribe to a premium service in addition to subscribing to Netflix.

Even Live for PC is absolutely free and it literally supports the EXACT same features as Live for Xbox. Admit it Xbox fans, you spent seven years getting duped into paying for something that everyone else gets for free. You are the emperor and everyone else now realizes you are naked. Harsh, but true.

Yeah, this is what I usually say, and people don't want to listen.

What bothers me is that XBOX Live is the only service of it's type that exists -at all-, and costs money. No one else has the audacity to do it. Well, Gamespy may have done it once. Gamespy. Gamespy.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#95otisanimePosted 1/4/2013 5:45:49 PM
CaPwnD posted...
It's weird how people say that there's no ads on PSN. So what's that scrolling on the XMB? And what are those things that looks like ads when you boot up the PS3 to the home page?

You can turn the latter off completely.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#96ilikemilkmmmPosted 1/4/2013 5:48:42 PM
as long as there are so many strange zealots that are proud to pay money for xbox live there is no reason to change the model. mind control in full force

the same people that pay 1500 dollars for 500 dollars in hardware from Apple
#97cmacinnisPosted 1/4/2013 5:50:23 PM
That or we just don't have money problems like the rest of you apparently do...
---
"Tuam ipsam vive vitam quia tuam ipsam oppetes mortem" ---Live your own life, for you will die your own death
#98Arucard05Posted 1/4/2013 5:53:04 PM

Saying "Eh, I can live with it" is one thing. Defending paying for what's free elsewhere is another thing entirely.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Do you want to read awesomely rad reviews and articles? No? ****.
#99ilikemilkmmmPosted 1/4/2013 5:55:08 PM(edited)
cmacinnis posted...

see? you take personal satisfaction in your ability to give more money to corporations for services that competitors offer for free, and you're happy about it. you're a great customer. you've been conditioned
#100DarkSlaughterPosted 1/4/2013 5:55:27 PM
Just noticed people asking about deals in here, found this one if anyone still needed it. BB has 12 month +1 month free Gold cards for 39.99 atm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsoft+-+Halo+4%3A+Xbox+LIVE+12-Month+Gold+Membership+%2B+1+Bonus+Month+Card/6692447.p?id=1218780225648&skuId=6692447&st=gold%2012&cp=1&lp=4
---
GT : Darkside84