This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what do you think is the worst thing in gaming right now?

#121FredSavage27Posted 1/6/2013 12:58:17 AM
The tired debate that implies that good graphics and good gameplay are mutually exclusive.
#122Devil_wings00Posted 1/6/2013 1:01:43 AM
twinsfan19 posted...
Nostalgia.

Things weren't better in the early / mid 90's, you're just remembering it that way...

Gotta love this one because most games in the early and mid 90's were platformers, 2d side scrollers and jrpg's all genre's that essentially haven't changed besides visuals since that time period. The core game play is exactly the same. The only genre's that you can say definitely are better now are FPS or anything first person really. So ya "nostalgia" has little to do with peoples perceptions of games from that time period since the dominating genre's are essentially unchanged to this day. They were simply a lot of great games in the big genre's at the time and A LOT of bad ones too. What you MEANT to say is that early 3d games aren't really better then what we have now. They were clunky as heck and people probably are remembering them through rose colored glasses (doesn't mean they aren't fun). Every other genre from that day time has little bearing on. What's difference with the basic JRPG formula now then back then? Nothing, What's different about 2d platformers now then in the early 90's? Nothing. 2d side scrollers? Nothing. Isometric grid based strat games like FF tactics? NOTHING. RTS games? NOTHING. 2d puzzle games? NOTHING!

Seeing a pattern? Those were the big genre's of the time period you mentioned. Everything, besides early FPS, time has done little to change the formulas. So I fail to see the argument you nostalgia kids whine about. The real problem is you younger people not being able to get past the poor visuals some games from the time period have. That's about the only major difference. Again I'm only going by the time period you stated. If you are talking LATE 90's with early 3d, that's a different discussion.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#123SegavsCapcomPosted 1/6/2013 1:05:37 AM
As of now? On disc DLC.

Why should I pay more money to play the 20% of the game I don't own?

Also the lack of originality. It's all sequels, rehashes, and copycats.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#124balmung2100Posted 1/6/2013 1:09:16 AM
Gamers. Complains about something but buys it anyway. Then ends up with a big "wtf" reaction when they see the amount of BS the publishers and developers are getting away with. They can make a 20 hour long "loli" art styled rpg with only 1 female in a bikini as the main character with dress up being the main theme of the game and multiple bikinis being dlc for purchase and no sidequest or replay value at all. People would still eat that **** up calling is one of the best rpg's around, then later complain about how it's lacking and developers are being greedy. I can almost see why dlc is being abused. If people are willing to buy whatever at any cost, then why not cut corners to "nickle n dime".
---
With this blow....I shall seal your fate!!!
"Yukimura Sanada"
#125PaperDolphinPosted 1/6/2013 1:13:44 AM
mobile ****ing gaming, if that can even be considered gaming
---
Waddle Dee and Toad for SSB4!
#126MizunoRyuuPosted 1/6/2013 1:14:21 AM
FPS games and all of their casual fans. Some of the hardcore ones are fine, because at least they know what they're doing, and their ego isn't visible from Uranus.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#127KotomineKireiPosted 1/6/2013 1:19:33 AM
twinsfan19 posted...
Nostalgia.

Things weren't better in the early / mid 90's, you're just remembering it that way...

I just recently played games that I hadn't played from back then(Castlevania: SoTN; Silent Hill; Metal Gear Solid; Parasite Eve; The Legend of Dragoon; to name a few), and I have to say, you are mostly full of bologna.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#128twinsfan19Posted 1/6/2013 1:25:28 AM
KotomineKirei posted...
twinsfan19 posted...
Nostalgia.

I just recently played games that I hadn't played from back then(Castlevania: SoTN; Silent Hill; Metal Gear Solid; Parasite Eve; The Legend of Dragoon; to name a few), and I have to say, you are mostly full of bologna.

There were good games...but there was also a lot of junk. Just like today. And we have some genres today that barely existed in the mid 90's.
---
Currently Playing: SC2, TF2, Tribes Ascend, Portal 2, Bastion
#129OEIO999Posted 1/6/2013 1:28:46 AM
Day 1 DLC/In-game DLC
Franchised SP turned into focused MP
Too much detail on graphics and physics, not enough on game content
#130harrisonmeskoPosted 1/6/2013 1:31:06 AM
Out of everything I can think of, it comes down to either innovation (read: hardware gimmicks), or simply pandering. I'm tired of game devs simply pandering to make as much money as possible instead of turning out something that really stands out. Super Metroid seems like something truly heartfelt, like the creators sought to bring that game to life the way they released it. Many games today however, either fit specific cookie-cutter molds or become forced amalgams of different genres to appeal to every profitable gaming audience. Although this pandering to every fanbase at once is prevalent throughout all of gaming, I think its worst among eastern devs. Investments are supposed to be risky, producing a game is no different. Sure you might fail if you put something different out that nobody is used to, or you might fail if you don't go out of your way to appeal to a tried and proven fandom, but is it really worth it to create something so lifeless? Is it worth all that time and effort to create something so forced and neutral that it doesnt really appeal to anyone? I'm no dev, but I would imagine that it would be much more rewarding to create a game the way I imagine it, as opposed to creating something that everyone will like. I mean, its not like you can make everyone happy ultimately. So why do they put so much effort into trying to please everyone all of the time? Is the money really that alluring to them?
---
"I'm gonna wreck it!" - John C. Reilly as Wreck-it-Ralph