This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what do you think is the worst thing in gaming right now?

#191ItsTheSasquatchPosted 1/6/2013 7:09:50 PM
Winterstar posted...
When statutory damages are present, there's no need to prove actual damages. This doesn't happen just in copyright law, libel doesn't require actual damages either.

This is a case where the law itself is wrong and needs to be changed--it's being abused to an absurd degree.

Uploading is quite illegal, even torrenting.

The technology itself isn't, though they'd very much like it to be. I've heard of people receiving warning letters after torrenting the latest Linux distribution, for instance.

There's no line in the Constitution regarding CIVIL damages.

A dangerous loophole that needs to be closed. Its exploitation has become its own industry in the last decade or so.

The problem is that they don't care that they're violating the rights of other people, even though they would squawk horribly if it were THEIR rights being trampled on.

Their rights are being trampled on. Ridiculous EULAs robbing them of such basic rights as ownership of property, DRM that prevents them from using that property and which has been declared illegal to remove, etc. I can't speak for everyone, but I support piracy purely as a form of non-violent protest against this sort of thing. I'd never advocate pirating an indie game, for instance, nor any software with no DRM.
---
*disappears into forest*
#192WinterstarPosted 1/6/2013 7:21:46 PM
ItsTheSasquatch posted...
Winterstar posted...
When statutory damages are present, there's no need to prove actual damages. This doesn't happen just in copyright law, libel doesn't require actual damages either.

This is a case where the law itself is wrong and needs to be changed--it's being abused to an absurd degree.

Uploading is quite illegal, even torrenting.

The technology itself isn't, though they'd very much like it to be. I've heard of people receiving warning letters after torrenting the latest Linux distribution, for instance.

There's no line in the Constitution regarding CIVIL damages.

A dangerous loophole that needs to be closed. Its exploitation has become its own industry in the last decade or so.

The problem is that they don't care that they're violating the rights of other people, even though they would squawk horribly if it were THEIR rights being trampled on.

Their rights are being trampled on. Ridiculous EULAs robbing them of such basic rights as ownership of property, DRM that prevents them from using that property and which has been declared illegal to remove, etc. I can't speak for everyone, but I support piracy purely as a form of non-violent protest against this sort of thing. I'd never advocate pirating an indie game, for instance, nor any software with no DRM.

File sharing technology isn't illegal - it's only illegal to share something you don't own the rights to (or you don't have a license to do so). The problem is that most people share content they don't own.

The Constitution deals with how the Government deals with people, not with how people deal with people (excepting the 13th Amendment). Since it's difficult, if not nigh impossible, to figure out actual damages, there have to be statutory damages. You may disagree as to the amount, but that's an opinion, not a fact, and not worth arguing over.

EULAs don't rob anyone of ownership of property - 9 out of 11 circuits in the US have held that retail software is sold, not licensed, so EULAs are usually tossed out the window.

You're welcome to protest whatever you want in whatever way you want - just realize that you could be incurring not just civil damages but criminal charges. I just think it's sad that you're protesting over things that really aren't true - you may want to read up a bit more on the subject before getting so pissed off that you become an unindicted felon.
#193SoF-RamboPosted 1/7/2013 4:01:34 AM
When I have to get my friend to download Fallout 3 off of piratebay because Steam won't let me play offline because I don't have a stable internet connection, you know things need to change. I mean, I sorta understand why they do that, but when I can't play a retail copy of Skyrim, they're taking things too far.

Just my 0.02
---
Gamertag : Z0mb13S0ldier
Current Most Played : Mass Effect 3, Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3, and WWE 12.
#194Kai101xPosted 1/7/2013 4:18:44 AM
I was enjoying this topic up until page 17.
#195richisdisturbedPosted 1/7/2013 4:56:28 AM
Anyone that hasn't said Capcom isn't a true gamer.
---
Gamertag - richisdisturbed
http://soundcloud.com/richisdisturbed
#196NemerlightPosted 1/7/2013 5:38:53 AM
SoF-Rambo posted...
When I have to get my friend to download Fallout 3 off of piratebay because Steam won't let me play offline because I don't have a stable internet connection, you know things need to change. I mean, I sorta understand why they do that, but when I can't play a retail copy of Skyrim, they're taking things too far.

Just my 0.02

You can play steam games offline. I think you need to connect once every 30 days or something like that.
---
http://bitsandpieces.us/2011/03/25/a-well-written-police-report/
#197WackyPosted 1/7/2013 5:44:39 AM
Gamers

---
Whats wrong with pink? One of the best things in life is pink.... well, I'll tell you when your older.~~pallybear
#198SoF-RamboPosted 1/7/2013 5:50:29 AM
Nemerlight posted...
SoF-Rambo posted...

Just my 0.02

You can play steam games offline. I think you need to connect once every 30 days or something like that.

I haven't had an internet connection in close to 6 months. Also I think you have to do the offline thing in advance.
---
Gamertag : Z0mb13S0ldier
Current Most Played : Mass Effect 3, Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3, and WWE 12.
#199CammyApplePosted 1/7/2013 7:08:39 PM
SoF-Rambo posted...
Nemerlight posted...
SoF-Rambo posted...

Just my 0.02

I haven't had an internet connection in close to 6 months. Also I think you have to do the offline thing in advance.

Also even if you do everything right Steam offline still may not work.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.