This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to get into console gaming

#1Lemur_HPosted 1/5/2013 6:28:24 PM
Maybe you can help me.

Xbox 360 or PS3?
I noticed there are different models of both, that gets very confusing. What's the latest/best model?
What games should I get? I like RTS, shooters, and flight simulators.
If Xbox 360, should I get a Kinect? I'm considering it. Looks like fun.
I might get a new TV as well. Mine is crap. What's the most common HDTV that gets recommended around here?

Last question. Should I get a Wii?
#2oomomowPosted 1/5/2013 6:34:39 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Maybe you can help me.

Xbox 360 or PS3?
I noticed there are different models of both, that gets very confusing. What's the latest/best model?
I might get a new TV as well. Mine is crap. What's the most common HDTV that gets recommended around here?

PS3 Slim is the worst model. Get the 2nd Model. X-box 360 slim has wireless built, has a sleek design, and seems to be quieter. But, breaks down faster than other versions.

I don't know what RTS means so sorry about that. Flight simulators I would say goes to the PS3. Shooters are more of an X-Box thing. But, if you like shooters and think the Kinect is fun. I would suggest looking into a WIIU. It has less shooter games than the 360 and PS3 mainly because it's a lot newer, but. There still are some and it's an interesting console.
---
V
#3_S0FTButtCheeksPosted 1/5/2013 6:35:45 PM
PS3
---
instagram.com/softbuttcheeks
Broncos > poop > your favorite team
#4CapwnDPosted 1/5/2013 6:43:02 PM
X-box 360 slim has wireless built, has a sleek design, and seems to be quieter. But, breaks down faster than other versions.

wat
---
Thrash Zone
#5ZosKiaCultusPosted 1/5/2013 6:44:17 PM
But, breaks down faster than other versions.

Yeah, no.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 1/5/2013 6:44:59 PM
Preface: don't get a Wii.

All the current console models are reliable. I'd recommend looking at the games you want to play, and making your decision that way. As for the Kinect, again, look at the games. If enough of the games you want have Kinect functionality, go for it.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#7ShuraYukihimePosted 1/5/2013 6:56:21 PM
oomomow posted...
Lemur_H posted...
Maybe you can help me.

Xbox 360 or PS3?

PS3 Slim is the worst model. Get the 2nd Model. X-box 360 slim has wireless built, has a sleek design, and seems to be quieter. But, breaks down faster than other versions.

I don't know what RTS means so sorry about that. Flight simulators I would say goes to the PS3. Shooters are more of an X-Box thing. But, if you like shooters and think the Kinect is fun. I would suggest looking into a WIIU. It has less shooter games than the 360 and PS3 mainly because it's a lot newer, but. There still are some and it's an interesting console.

This wins worst post of the day.

Any of the PS3 models would be fine. I still have my fat guy. My friend still has his slim. And so on.

The newer 360s are far more reliable.

Neither console is any good for flight sims. RTS is a crap shoot. The 360 has Halo Wars and a Middle Earth game but otherwise any good RTS on console is available on PC. Multiplayer shooters tend to be "better" on 360. Each console has their own pool of choice single player shooters. Unless you mean Shmups, in which case 360 by a landslide.

We have a Kinect. It has seen close to four hours use.

As for TVs I think you need to wait for Archizzy (Hope I have the right user here).
---
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
#8CapwnDPosted 1/5/2013 7:12:54 PM(edited)
This wins worst post of the day.

True, I didn't even bother reading the whole thing so I'll address some of the other misinformation:

Flight sims on the PS3? Where? You don't play flight sims on a console. If he meant flight games, I'm pretty sure the 360 has more.

multiconsole:
Blazing Angels 1&2,
IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey
Birds of Steel (wonderful game)

the 360 also has
Ace Combat 6 (wonderful game)
Project Sylpheed
Darkstar One (also on PC)

I don't know of any on the PS3, except maybe Warhawk and Starhawk if you count those.
---
Thrash Zone
#9ShuraYukihimePosted 1/5/2013 7:20:18 PM
Darkstar One is better on PC. It's also very very good on the 360.

If you want to get in to console gaming you would probably be best suited to try games that are stronger on console. Traditional RPGs maybe. They do still exist despite what folks like to say.

Maybe a game like Yakuza. They are Sony only but are solid games. The Metal Gear franchise is another thing people like. Another place I would choose the PS3 but to each their own. Sports games maybe? The Ico/SotC collection perhaps?

If you already have a capable PC a PS3 would probably compliment it better. Despite loving and playing my 360 more that would be the route I go.
---
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
#10ArthasRebornPosted 1/5/2013 7:23:05 PM(edited)
Lemur bby, y u no ask me? D;

But seriously, since I'm guessing you have a more-than-capable gaming PC, a PS3 is probably a better choice. The 360 really shines with shooters. If you go for that, I'd suggest getting a Gold subscription since most of the shooters that stand out on the 360 are rather heavily focussed upon online play. Connection shouldn't be an issue since all the current 360 models have built-in Wifi.

As for reliability, I hear the 360s have pretty much ironed out any major issues there were in the past, like RRoD. I haven't suffered any problems with either my 360 or PS3, so they should be fine.

For the other guy who responded earlier, RTS stands for real-time strategy. It refers to games like Starcraft, Company of Heroes, and Halo Wars. Mostly prevalent on PC due to the control system, and Halo Wars is the only RTS game that comes to mind that is on consoles.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn http://i49.tinypic.com/32znxno.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/4rrggy.jpg http://i46.tinypic.com/af7sdj.jpg