This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 surpasses 360 in sales

#51656stoogePosted 1/10/2013 9:41:07 AM
creep50 posted...

DevVito terrifies you....well remember that scene where he bit someones nose and he started to bleed black

i got nightmares after that

Or all the raw salmon he was munching. Plus what was that black stuff that dribbled from his mouth? I love how committed he was to that role, lol.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#52ironbruPosted 1/10/2013 9:49:16 AM(edited)
That's two generations they finish in third and with the arrival of the steam box and the ouya MS should be worried about finishing fifth next gen. I hope they don't give up after the 720.

The original Xbox was second in it's generation actually, the Gamecube was third with the Dreamcast forth.

In terms of money made: Microsoft > Nintendo > Sony

Honestly, I believe Sony's losses will be more than recovered next-gen.

Actually both Microsoft and Sony have made no money from their consoles. There was a topic about it a few days ago on this board. Microsoft's gaming division have lost about US$3 Billion (I think) and Sony's gaming division have lost about US$6 Billion on their current consoles.

Nintendo are the only one to have been making money from their console from the second it launched. Nintendo's president (I think that is who said it) said during the Wii's launch that each Wii sold was being sold at a profit from the second it launched. Pretty much the same thing is happening with the Wii U as well except this time Nintendo have said only one game needs to be bought with each Wii U for them to make a profit.

So it actually is Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony in terms of money made from their consoles.

I picked up a ps3 for 200$ on black friday, but people are overselling this as a triumph for Sony - allowing microsoft to gain from niche side console (xbox) to major competitor with roughly equal sales (xbox360) is still a massive loss.

How the hell was the original Xbox a niche side console when it finished second in it's console generation?

On another note, the ps2 when it was out never got close to matching the dreamcast in terms of graphics

Final Fantasy X has better graphics IMO than every Dreamcast game and that came out when the PS2 was 2 years old. The only Dreamcast games to come close to the PS2 in terms of graphics IMO were Shenmue 2 and Soul Calibur. I love the Dreamcast but to say the PS2 never got close to matching the Dreamcast in graphics is flat out wrong. Hell the PSP has games with better graphics than the Dreamcast!
---
Current Playing: Front Mission 4 (I finally imported a USA PS2), Forza Motorsport and Wipeout Series.
#53KobraXZPosted 1/10/2013 10:07:10 AM
darealest47 posted...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/report-ps3-surpasses-xbox-360s-worldwide-shipped-total

Considering that the ps3 came out a year later than the xbox 360 and had an arguably inferior online this is really good for Sony. You got to give them credit where credit is due.

"The Xbox 360 has been ahead of PlayStation 3 in the global sales race since the first day the PS3 was released in 2006."

Sales =/= Shipped

0/10
#54TJSpykePosted 1/10/2013 10:17:57 AM
First, it's just an estimate by a third party. Second, the key word is SHIPPED. The Xbox 360 has sold more than PS3 and continues to outsell PS3 everywhere but Japan.
---
Wii ID code: 4338 5973 3223 4003
AC: CF Tim Spyke 3480-6279-5331
#55Perfect LightPosted 1/10/2013 10:18:44 AM
That's because Americans are more likely to have both, while countries like Japan or China will only buy the Sony console. It's a product of some of Asia's xenophobia, they hate a lot of things that come from anywhere outside of their own country. I'm not judging, it's just a fact. Walk into a game store in Japan and you'll find a little section off in the corner with games from American developers while Asian-developed games cover the entire store.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FyJoGXR__8 - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#56chex81Posted 1/10/2013 10:27:56 AM
I've got both consoles and much prefer the 360 for a few reasons:

Controller is much better
it doesn't have a firmware update every month
The bandwidth server cap isn't crap (psn is horrible for that)
It doesn't take 6 steps to download and run a demo
No resolution transition between cut scenes, games, movies, etc

Sure it sucks you have to pay for xbl, but online is much better

I know a ton of people who regret buying a ps3 bc of above before purchasing it.

In the end sales don't matter to us gamers but I'm sure next generation Sony is in trouble
---
gt/psn: chex81
#57FenriswolfPosted 1/10/2013 10:33:45 AM
I call BS on the article, especially it's a "forecast" for the next four years, located behind a $4500 paywall, and the official sales data hasn't even been released yet. And this isn't the first time third party analysts pulled out figures out of their rear:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33854/Analysts_PS3_Passes_Xbox_360_Worldwide_Nintendo_Successor_Within_A_Year.php
---
Hello
#58scoobydoobydontPosted 1/10/2013 10:37:47 AM
I'll give credit to Sony... when this news isn't fiction.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#59WinternovaPosted 1/10/2013 10:38:07 AM
I bought my PS3 in June 2012. I bought my 360 in August 2007. I bought my Wii in February 2007.

I win.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#60Knight_Rider_3KPosted 1/10/2013 11:00:50 AM(edited)
Someone at Sony is clearly fudging the numbers. If that was remotely true, the CoD online players would be way closer together. Xbox is still blowing Sony out of the water.

There is something fishy going on. Trying too look good for the next E3, you know how they love to show off their numbers at their shows.

So I call BS.
---
You may beat me at a game, but with my smoking hot wife, I win at life.