This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think 2012 was a better year for gaming than 2011?

#1Mez Static MerizerPosted 1/10/2013 12:24:07 PM(edited)
Though 2011 had more AAA titles consistently released throughout the year, I thought 2012's AAA titles and even its indie titles were better than most of what 2011 had to offer.

Skyrim and Deus Ex Revolution rounded my top 5 that year, and yet I found Dishonored and Far Cry 3 more enjoyable. I had more fun playing Sleeping Dogs than 2011's Batman Arkham City. Borderlands 2 and Halo 4 offered both better single player and multi player experiences to me than Gears of War 3. Black Ops II was better than MW3. Guild Wars 2 was a better MMORPG experience than Star Wars: The Old Republic.

In terms of handheld experiences, you had Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Soundshapes, Persona 4: Golden, and Kingdom Hearts 3DS.

Additional stand out titles included Max Payne 3, The Darkness 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Darksiders 2. Then you had sleeper hits like Asura's Wrath, Spec Ops The Line, and Binary Domain, which all offered great storytelling experiences.

Portal 2 was my GOTY 2011 and was just overall an amazing game experience, and yet I found two indie games in The Walking Dead and Journey, #1 and #2 respectively for me in 2012, better than Portal 2 and also some of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.
#2Homie_202Posted 1/10/2013 11:53:44 AM
Stopped reading at sleeping dogs was more fun then batman cuz that is just insanity. But I agree with some points I think Skyrim was ridiculously overrated.
#3SunDevil77Posted 1/10/2013 11:55:55 AM
Hard to say, I think 2012 had more variety of great games, while 2011 had smaller variety, but better games.
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#4BBBanks03Posted 1/10/2013 12:07:05 PM
Eh, not really. I think if anything itís more like the expectations of 2012 were way down as a lot of people thought the lineup of games this year looked pretty bland, and a lot of those bland games turned out to be surprisingly good. I laughed when I heard they were making Halo 4, and it turned out to be pretty awesome. I thought Borderlands 1 was repetitive as hell and horribly paced, and yet I ended up loving Borderlands 2. So, if anything, this year was a pleasant surprise, but last year was just incredibly awesome. Not as good as 2007 imo, but one of the best for sure.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#5RayzerTagPosted 1/10/2013 1:16:24 PM(edited)
Absolutely. It's probably the best year this generation in terms of influence on the industry. Many indie/small/niche games received glowing reviews, while most AAA titles were disappointing. Just look at this list:

Asura's Wrath
Awesomenauts
Binary Domain
Botanicula
Dear Esther
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Fez
FTL: Faster Than Light
Hotline Miami
Journey
Katawa Shoujo
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Persona 4 Golden
Spec Ops: the Line
Sound Shapes
Super Hexagon
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Thirty Flights of Loving
Trials Evolution
The Unfinished Swan
The Walking Dead
Tokyo Jungle
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
ZombiU

And probably more I have forgotten.

I'd say that's a pretty good year.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#6Mez Static Merizer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 1:02:06 PM(edited)
These are my stand out games of 2011 and 2012

2011:
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Littlebigplanet 2
Dead Space 2
Trinity: Souls of Zill Oíll
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Bulletstorm
Killzone 3
Radiant Historia
Fight Night Champion
Dragon Age 2
Yakuza 4
Crysis 2
Mortal Kombat
Portal 2
Fable 3
L.A. Noire
inFamous 2
Child of Eden
Shadows of the Damned
Bastion
Catherine
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Dead Island
White Knight Chronicles 2
Gears of War 3
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD collection
Dark Souls
Rage
Dance Central 2
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Metal Gear Solid HD collection
Uncharted 3
To The Moon
Modern Warfare 3
Skyrim
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Rayman Origins
Saint's Row The Third
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Star Wars: The Old Republic

2012:
The Darkness 2
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Dear Esther
UFC Undisputed 3
Asura's Wrath
Binary Domain
SMT: Devil Survivor 2
Mass Effect 3
Journey
Tales of Graces F
Xenoblade Chronicles
Fez
The Witcher 2
Binary Domain
Diablo 3
Game of Thrones
Max Payne 3
Spec Ops The Line
Kingdom Hearts 3DS
Gravity Rush
Persona 4 Arena
Persona 4 Golden
Sound Shapes
Darksiders 2
The Last Story
Sleeping Dogs
Guild Wars 2
Mark of the Ninja
Borderlands 2
Torchlight 2
Dishonored
Dance Central 3
Hotline Miami
The Unfinished Swan
Assassin's Creed 3
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Halo 4
Black Ops 2
Far Cry 3
New Super Mario Bros.
ZombiU
The Walking Dead

So in both quantity and quality, 2012 definitely beats out 2011 for me.
#7RayzerTagPosted 1/10/2013 12:56:41 PM
I like your style.
---
#8Mez Static Merizer(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 1:07:25 PM
RayzerTag posted...
Absolutely. It's probably the best year this generation in terms of influence on the industry. Many indie/small/niche games received glowing reviews, while most AAA titles were disappointing. Just look at this list:

Asura's Wrath
Awesomenauts
Binary Domain
Botanicula
Dear Esther
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Fez
FTL: Faster Than Light
Hotline Miami
Journey
Katawa Shoujo
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Persona 4 Golden
Spec Ops: the Line
Sound Shapes
Super Hexagon
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Thirty Flights of Loving
Trials Evolution
The Unfinished Swan
The Walking Dead
To The Moon
Tokyo Jungle
ZombiU

And probably more I have forgotten.

I'd say that's a pretty good year.

The bolded ones are games that I want to play and currently on my backlog. Good list by the way. I would probably consider To the Moon a 2011 release though, but granted, it did get a wider release through Steam in 2012.
#9RayzerTagPosted 1/10/2013 1:30:39 PM(edited)
Mez Static Merizer posted...

The bolded ones are games that I want to play and currently on my backlog. Good list by the way. I would probably consider To the Moon a 2011 release though, but granted, it did get a wider release through Steam in 2012.

Oh right, I thought To The Moon released in 2012 but it seems I'm mistaken. Edited!

It seems we share tastes in gaming, so may I make a suggestion? Check out Kentucky Route Zero. I didn't know about it until a Giant Bomb quick look a few days ago, but it looked very intriguing. Also, have you played the Nirvana DLC for Asura's Wrath? That one is an absolute must-buy.

EDIT: I see the trailer of Kentucky Route Zero doesn't show the fantastic writing (as far as I've seen), so I'd suggest looking up a gameplay video of the first few minutes instead.
---