This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The end of used console games!

#51oasisbeyondPosted 1/11/2013 4:20:26 PM
They won't... I wait, and buy at 20$. People who buy 2$ or 5$ used games cheaper then the new version are pretty pathetic.
#52SheepinatorPosted 1/11/2013 4:23:21 PM
MutePrint posted...
Sheepinator posted...
MutePrint posted...
Sheepinator is a great name for you, because that's exactly what you are, a sheep LOL. Weak minded as they come

Just go straight to the personal attacks huh? That's a sure sign of someone who has some level of critical thinking and is able to communicate it, yeah. You'd be better off living by your own tag.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings, but Im not gonna argue with a brainwashed shill (neither should anyone else). Sorry

Don't worry about it. You are incapable of hurting my feelings. Troll and flame all day long if it makes you feel good about your inability to communicate like a grown up.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#53Gillian SeedPosted 1/11/2013 4:56:24 PM
>> "I buy all my games new, I wait for price drops and take advantage of sales .. so I guess my habits will remain the same."

If the used game market goes away I don't think there will be as many price drops and sales on new games. Having to compete with used games is probably one of the reasons new games go on sale a month or two after release. Before Gamestops started popping up like McDonalds I don't remember there being such good video game deals at other retailers.

>> "The gamer who is allowed to trade games can buy twice as many games before the $500 is completely spent (assuming a 50% trade in value). The math doesn't lie."

The math doesn't lie, but it needs a scenario that doesn't exist for it to make sense. People who only buy new and never trade in don't actually have a spending allowance. Plus, you allowed one gamer to create additional funds in some fashion, but not the other. The math doesn't lie, but you rigged a situation where it's impossible for people who don't trade in to spend any more money. I could eventually beat Usain Bolt in a 500 meter race if he is forced to stop at 400.
#54dcn2424Posted 1/12/2013 7:34:05 AM
No more used console games? Then I won't buy a next gen console or any next gen games.
#55Perfect LightPosted 1/12/2013 7:57:47 AM(edited)
People think used games hurt the industry, but it's quite the opposite as has been shown in countless research. Let's go back to the 2 gamers with $500 scenario. One of them is allowed to resell back, the other is not.

No trades:
The gamer with no trades, assuming each game costs around $64, will be able to buy 7 full-priced games. In the end, he spent $455 of his $500. He can spend that last amount on some lower priced games, so he ends up spending the full $500.

Trades allowed:
The gamer who is allowed to trade spends the same $455 and puts the remainder towards lower priced games, again spending the full $500. Now, he finishes all the games and is allowed to trade them back as he finishes them. Assuming 50$ trade-in credit (the usual rate), he's got another $250 that can go toward more developers. That's another 3 FULL PRICED games he can buy with the trade-in credit. If he sells the games on Amazon, he can probably make back MORE than 50%, but we'll stick with the trade-in credit. He then has $58 leftover, which can go toward yet another lower priced game, which is now 10 full priced games the trading gamer has purchased, as well several discounted games.

And sure, the games that guy traded in do not go towards the game devs any longer, because they are now used. However, without the ability to trade in his games, the trading gamer would not have been able to support the devs because he would have been out of money for the month. It's simple economics, the used market drives sales of the new market, it's not that complicated. You people are vilifying used game sales, but they minimally cut into game dev profits. It's no different than any other medium (authors, filmmakers, TV shows, car manufacturers). There is a right in the US to resell anything you own--that includes video games. Game devs needs to pull their heads out of their asses and focus on making great games.

oasisbeyond posted...
They won't... I wait, and buy at 20$. People who buy 2$ or 5$ used games cheaper then the new version are pretty pathetic.

GameStop is a ripoff. Amazon sells used games for MUCH less than $2-5 cheaper.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FyJoGXR__8 - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#56TheBlueStigPosted 1/12/2013 8:07:20 AM
Gillian Seed posted...
The math doesn't lie, but it needs a scenario that doesn't exist for it to make sense. People who only buy new and never trade in don't actually have a spending allowance. Plus, you allowed one gamer to create additional funds in some fashion, but not the other. The math doesn't lie, but you rigged a situation where it's impossible for people who don't trade in to spend any more money. I could eventually beat Usain Bolt in a 500 meter race if he is forced to stop at 400.

Everybody but entitled little brats living in mommy's basement has a set amount of money that they can spend on games because they have to pay bills, rent, food, utilities, etc etc etc.

My scenario exists in the digital delivery world that is quickly being forced on us. My scenario proves beyond all doubts that people who buy new hardcopy games, then trade them in towards more new hardcopy games are FAR bigger supporters of the industry than people who never trade or who buy digital.

I created that scenario because of the arrogance of the non-traders and the digital buyers who claimed they were the better industry supporters. They were the same people who claimed that used games were as bad or worse than game piracy.

1. Two people are given the same amount of money to spend on games.

2. Both of them are only allowed to buy NEW games.

3. One person keeps their games and never trades them in.

4. One person is allowed to trade their games in towards other NEW games.

The person who trades will be able to buy twice as many games for the same amount of cash, which means they're the bigger supporter of the industry than any arrogant non-trader or digital buyer.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#57SheepinatorPosted 1/12/2013 8:51:32 AM
It is ironic to see people talk about simple economics while making a hash of it. Back on page 2 I showed how with just a 4% increase in total consumer spending the developers would see 33% more profit, largely at GameStop's expense. You guys are talking about a radical difference in total consumer spending which isn't at all realistic.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#58liam_000Posted 1/12/2013 9:01:01 AM
MutePrint posted...
MachineZed posted...
deimos91 posted...
ill stick to steam sales and nintendo

Do you get a good return for trading in your used steam games?

If next gen doesn't use discs, then obviously used games would be a non-issue

That wont happen, out of the 70 odd million 360s sold, only about 40m have a live account. Only having digital games would hurt them, badly.
---
gamertag; OozyCrayfish
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the whole ******* world.
#59Perfect LightPosted 1/12/2013 9:19:27 AM
Sheepinator posted...
It is ironic to see people talk about simple economics while making a hash of it. Back on page 2 I showed how with just a 4% increase in total consumer spending the developers would see 33% more profit, largely at GameStop's expense. You guys are talking about a radical difference in total consumer spending which isn't at all realistic.

Just curious, why do people set messages per page as anything less than the max?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FyJoGXR__8 - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#60WinternovaPosted 1/12/2013 9:55:27 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
My scenario exists in the digital delivery world that is quickly being forced on us. My scenario proves beyond all doubts that people who buy new hardcopy games, then trade them in towards more new hardcopy games are FAR bigger supporters of the industry than people who never trade or who buy digital.

It doesn't prove anything. It would if everyone had the same budget...and the exact same disposable income...and the exact same buying patterns, but they don't. Some people can be just as active in purchasing new games without ever trading games in. And some people can spend more money buying more used games without ever buying new. There's a fundamental flaw in your scenario - and that's the lack of insight as to the wide variety of human behaviours.

I'm NOT saying that people who trade in and/or buy used games are worse than pirates - they're not. They're engaging in a perfectly valid secondary market - one I partake of from time to time myself. Hell, I traded in three games I got used for more than I bought them for (thanks GameStop promotion!) and I'm saving the credit to assist in the purchase of a new game, probably Bioshock Infinite or South Park:The Stick of Truth.

Well, part of it went to a used copy of WWE All-Stars, but that game is difficult to find new OR used...and I don't have the space on my 120GB HD for the GoD version. I did support the publisher by buying a bunch of DLC characters for it - I am afraid that THQ's bankruptcy would cause the DLC to disappear, so I bought most of the packs, especially the ones with guys I've done shows with. But I disgress...

I still have about $80 in GameStop credit ($50 in gift cards from my wife) and, by the time either of those games is released, I should have about $105 to spend (Speedway Speedy Rewards will get me another $25 GameStop gift card), which means I'll probably get both for $15 in cash out of pocket...plus tax of course. :-)

What appears to be a larger drain on the industry is PSN+'s Instant Game Collection. While giving me the first two episodes of The Walking Dead did entice me to buy the rest, there are a TON of games I've gotten for free from there that I may have bought. Actually, it appears to be a bigger drain on the USED market, as most of the games are older and games I would've picked up used, not new...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)