This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

lol at 4K Gaming

#11TheBlueStigPosted 1/12/2013 6:42:52 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
you will not see the difference.

So you're blind too?

If you can't tell the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 you're blind. The jaggies should be completely obvious to anyone without glasses gaming on a GOOD LED TV.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#12ChromaticAngelPosted 1/12/2013 6:43:39 PM
Normal people don't use PC monitors in a living room setting, kooky Stig. No one cares about 4K unless their name is Kaz or they're niche PC gamer ultra-enthusiast. On a normal sized set (30-50 inches) no matter how your living room is set up, you will not see the difference. 4K for consoles will happen maybe 5 times in the entirety of next gen, and it'll be pointless all five times. Also: 99% of games will be sub 60fps too. No one cares about that either.

pretty sure even the most hardcore PC gamer in the world doesn't game at 4k either. There are a few who game at 1440 but they're an extreme minority as it is.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#13NakedSnake1986Posted 1/12/2013 6:48:34 PM
I love it when you call someone out on their own insult and they can't back it up other than being sarcastic and avoiding you.
---
Tied to a wheel, fingers got to feel,
Bleeding through a tourniquet smile
#14scoobydoobydontPosted 1/12/2013 6:58:27 PM
ChromaticAngel posted...
pretty sure even the most hardcore PC gamer in the world doesn't game at 4k either. There are a few who game at 1440 but they're an extreme minority as it is.

Not yet, no, but some are certainly interested in it I know from reading threads about it on NeoGAF. It's interesting tech, it just doesn't matter unless you're going over 60 inches, and even then it isn't worth much investment IMO. The visual bells and whistles that would be lost, pc or next gen consoles either of them, wouldn't be worth the trade.

TheBlueStig posted...

So you're blind too?

If you can't tell the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 you're blind. The jaggies should be completely obvious to anyone without glasses gaming on a GOOD LED TV.

I meant that you can't get any benefit from 4K. Although, I will say while *I* can see the difference between 720p and 1080p, absolutely no one else I know can irl. Unless it's side by side, I don't think most people notice or care. 1080p is only common because the tv the person bought happened to have 1080p, not because the customer came in wanting a 1080p over a 720p one.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#15ChromaticAngelPosted 1/12/2013 6:59:32 PM
NakedSnake1986 posted...
I love it when you call someone out on their own insult and they can't back it up other than being sarcastic and avoiding you.

Frankly, while it sounds like this BlueStig guy is pretty popular for saying things that are not accurate on this board, I, for one, am sick and f***ing tired of having arguments exactly like this one. Calling people blind is a first instinct of mine when they say stuff like "There is no difference between 30fps and 60fps"

And there is a difference between 720 and 1080. If you can't see it, it means one of two things. 1) your eyes are terrible, or 2) you are sitting far enough away from the TV that you perceive no difference, but this does not mean that there isn't one.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#16TheBlueStigPosted 1/12/2013 7:00:43 PM
NakedSnake1986 posted...

I was able to tell the difference in those resolutions on a 20 inch monitor 10 years ago, if you can't see the difference now, You, Are, Blind.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#17knightimexPosted 1/13/2013 1:09:56 AM
lol at 60fps.

Never played a PC game in your life I take it.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#18RahzarXPosted 1/13/2013 1:20:58 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...

Not yet, no, but some are certainly interested in it I know from reading threads about it on NeoGAF. It's interesting tech, it just doesn't matter unless you're going over 60 inches, and even then it isn't worth much investment IMO. The visual bells and whistles that would be lost, pc or next gen consoles either of them, wouldn't be worth the trade.

TheBlueStig posted...

So you're blind too?

I meant that you can't get any benefit from 4K. Although, I will say while *I* can see the difference between 720p and 1080p, absolutely no one else I know can irl. Unless it's side by side, I don't think most people notice or care. 1080p is only common because the tv the person bought happened to have 1080p, not because the customer came in wanting a 1080p over a 720p one.

Yes you can indeed benefit from higher resolutions on smaller screens. Phones for example, have you ever SEEN an Apple retina display? The pixels are suddenly too small to even see.

The retina displays on new Macbooks are 4k, that should give you a good example.

Until you can afford products that give you resolutions like that, shhhhh.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#19TheBonfiniPosted 1/13/2013 1:24:19 AM
Wow I remember back when people argued that they can't tell the difference between BluRay and DVD.. LOL

I am sorry, soon to be obsolete technophile apologists, it is people like you that stagnate the market. We like to think the consumers are the ones that demand what we want, yet it is the ever powerful corporations that give us these minute improvements ever so slightly noticeable over the last offering to keep pilfering our pockets.

Have you seen a 60 inch display running at 4k resolution? They are worth 25k now, but they will drop in price, and the difference IS noticeable. It is literally like looking out a window, that is how crisp it looks.

It kind of baffles me how people don't appreciate really high end technology. The stuff that we are capable of making is vastly superior to what the average consumer can afford to put in their home.

There are sound systems you can get that cost upwards of 100k and if you ever heard one, you would blast in your pants. It is heaven.

It is unfortunate that the technology is still a decade away to being affordable to the average consumer but I think we are reaching the zenith where human senses can appreciate the difference. I mean, you can't get better resolution than what mimmicks real life or sound that beats real sound... But do you really want your ear drum blown out of your head from a shell landing beside you in BLOPS88??
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#20cup_a_soupPosted 1/13/2013 1:25:20 AM
The retina display on the MacBook is not 4k. Heck I think it's barely half of 4k. And the thing struggles to do anything other than basic browser functions due to the resolution being so taxing on the hardware.