This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do video games make us more violent?

#1Itachi62Posted 1/14/2013 10:49:02 PM
As much as I love my Xbox 360, it seems there's more and more violence as video games get more popular. And things like the Bobo doll experiment scientifically say that showing acts of aggression can increase it in people watching. Do video games make us more violent? Obviously they will not make us go and kill a man, but do they make us more predisposed to bad behaviour?

When I see violence, like decapitations and gore, etc, it kind of don't mean anything at all, and I'm thinking it's maybe because of all the violent games I play, like in Oblivion where there are mutilated bodies hanging in necromancer caverns. Should we try to progress video games like RPGs as telling mature stories with less violence, like in games such as Heavy Rain? The indsutry might benefit as well as our psyche. The Xbox mostly has violent games for serious non casual gamers, you'll see that every AAA game is violent. Should we focus less on violence and more on stories? It could be both healthy and good for the video game industry.
#2natevinesPosted 1/14/2013 10:49:19 PM
Hi
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#3Biohazard911Posted 1/14/2013 10:52:29 PM
NO NOW STOP BEFORE I SHOVE MY FIST INTO...
---
Gamefoxs stole my sig.
#4Blade_Of_IcePosted 1/14/2013 10:56:27 PM
no sure if trolling or not but...

yes there is a link to violence and videogames there have been studies that prove this, the main issue is that parents are allowing their kids to play these games without explaining the right and wrong of the actions, should a 7 year old be playing an M or T rated game, hell no, but you will always get one of those idiots who usually says something like "oh billys mature for his age, these games arent that bad for him cause he knows its not real" that doesnt change that fact that hes a 7 year old...and if i really have to explain this next part i live in a very sad world 7 YEAR OLDS ARE IDIOTS.

Most of the people who go about shooting up schools are sad and pathetic mentally ill human beings and were long before they started playing video games.
#5CyricsServantPosted 1/14/2013 11:01:14 PM(edited)
I don't believe there's causal link between games and violence.

However, I do believe that violent video games desensitize us to violence . . . just like all other forms of violent or disturbing media, including the nightly news.
#6CapwnDPosted 1/14/2013 11:28:18 PM
Does playing COD online make people rage? HELL YES!

Is it because of the violence in the game? The bullets? Killing people?

Umm... I'm sorry but if anybody honestly thinks that, they are completely stupid and have never even played a COD game online or probably any online game ever, ever.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#7ChromaticAngelPosted 1/14/2013 11:48:17 PM
CyricsServant posted...
I don't believe there's causal link between games and violence.

However, I do believe that violent video games desensitize us to violence . . . just like all other forms of violent or disturbing media, including the nightly news.

I find people who say things like this have never experienced real violence.

Of course, this is kind of a problem if the person in question is going out to commit their first act of violence under the impression that it will be just like the video game. It's not.

Just saying though, video games kind of glorify and reward you with violence. in the real world, violence is horrible and everyone involved is a loser. you only think you are desensitized to it, when it actually happens (and I hope it never does) you realize that there isn't really anything that can prepare you for it.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#8MK_GodPosted 1/14/2013 11:58:40 PM
This is the hundredth topic about this...please search your question before posting...
---
@NCrediblyJACK3D
#9aamotPosted 1/15/2013 2:30:36 AM(edited)
I'm just glad nobody smokes in video games. I've picked up enough bad habits from watching people smoke on TV.
---
"I dare you to make less sense."
#10Halo_ForeverPosted 1/15/2013 1:50:37 AM
Game violence is usually quite comic and over the top, even in game that try to scare like Dead Space.

The few instances where game violence actually got to me this gen are Condemned and Shellshock 2 since both are fairly low key about it, but still manages to show the impact of it.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....