This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Obama just mentioned violent video games

#371SheepinatorPosted 1/17/2013 11:05:25 PM
Winternova posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
it makes me wonder why you've said all along that mental health is the issue while you acknowledge nothing useful can come of it.

The issue is the drugs being pushed by big pharma, the issue is the drugs being pushed onto kids for the littlest and dumbest of reasons. Most of the time kids are getting put on drugs just for being kids and doing the things that kids do, and in many cases the parents are asking for their kids to be drugged up because they can't handle being a parent.

If the government finally one day gets their heads out of their asses and figures out the true nature of the problem and gets involved, they'll pick just one doctrine of psychology and misdiagnose a ton of people as a result. They already do that in court cases, they pick one shrink, get a diagnosis the defense lawyer wants and get the criminal back out on the streets, or the opposite is also true, they get someone put away or restricted for life for all the wrong reasons.
Psychology will never be an exact science because sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

You don't even know the difference between psychology and psychiatry.

He's an expert on both, so it's OK to interchange them. And no surprise that he once again ducks and dives a simple question. Par for the course.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#372TheBlueStigPosted 1/17/2013 11:13:16 PM
Winternova posted...

psychiatry - the practice or science of diagnosing and treating mental disorders.

psychology - the science of the mind or of mental states and processes.

I aced my Psych classes in school, you never took any.

Maybe you should go back to watching your favorite sweaty men stick their faces in the smelliest places....
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#373WinternovaPosted 1/17/2013 11:42:46 PM(edited)
TheBlueStig posted...
Winternova posted...

psychiatry - the practice or science of diagnosing and treating mental disorders.

Maybe you should go back to watching your favorite sweaty men stick their faces in the smelliest places....

Psychiatrists are medical doctors and prescribe medicines.
Psychologists engage in therapy, such as the Freudian psychoanalysis that you referenced earlier with the cigar comment, and, for the most part, they do not deal with drugs.

I was a statistics class short of a psychology minor during my undergrad (which means I'm not anywhere near an expert, I just know a little bit of a lot of different subsections)...but at least I don't conflate psychology and psychiatry. :-)
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#374ThescyyPosted 1/18/2013 7:47:49 AM
I love the childish view points the people on the left are spewing all over this thread. "Well if you don't agree with the dem's you must be a right wing nut!" Grow up, not everything is black and white and it's not your team vs their team, thats the exact reason George Washington said the two party system would bring this country down.
---
"I don't need to be careful, I've got a gun!"
#375reverence27Posted 1/18/2013 7:53:41 AM
Winternova posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Winternova posted...

Psychiatrists are medical doctors and prescribe medicines.
Psychologists engage in therapy, such as the Freudian psychoanalysis that you referenced earlier with the cigar comment, and, for the most part, they do not deal with drugs.

I was a statistics class short of a psychology minor during my undergrad (which means I'm not anywhere near an expert, I just know a little bit of a lot of different subsections)...but at least I don't conflate psychology and psychiatry. :-)

NO WINTERNOVA, You don't know what you are talking about. He took psy 101 at the local junior college and aced it. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT EVEN MEANS. He made an A on one of the hardest courses ever. I took this course once, and you wouldn't believe how many people didn't get an A in it. (1 actually but they never showed to class) You don't understand how hard that is, all while fighting off the tyrannical government which is trying to take complete control of his household (moms house) and take away all his liberties, while he obviously fights overseas every day to protect our country from invading british forces. And he still found time to watch Fox news to keep him up to date on world history and facts.
Winternova, You sir are not a true patriot, you show no fear of your government and instead respect and accept it and its elected officials to establish a safe and peaceful community for all americans to prosper. What kind of Commie are you.
Its 2013 and you need to realize, Its America the ME not America the Free.
There is no We in America, just ME AND I
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#376secondhand1Posted 1/18/2013 10:29:54 AM
TheBlueStig posted...

Gun owners don't tend to be the type to go to shrinks in the first place, let alone stay long enough to get prescribed mind altering drugs. Going to the shooting range IS therapy for most gun owners.

Oh, sweet Jesus.

Before, it was just mildly amusing. Now, it's sad and a little frightening.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#377shawnmckPosted 1/18/2013 10:43:19 AM(edited)
secondhand1 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

Gun owners don't tend to be the type to go to shrinks in the first place, let alone stay long enough to get prescribed mind altering drugs. Going to the shooting range IS therapy for most gun owners.

Oh, sweet Jesus.

^ What is there to not understand ?
You are acting like the people who don't play video-games DON'T understand how playing a video-game can be relaxing and stress relieving.

Just because you don't get it, doesn't make it not true.

Some people like to work on cars & engines to relieve stress....
Some play sports, like football.
Some dissect insects.
Some pick & smell flowers.
Some have sex.
Some play video-games.
Some like to shoot guns.
etc, and etc..

Don't mock what you don't understand.
It just shows you for the arrogant elitist snob that you are.
#378reverence27Posted 1/18/2013 10:53:41 AM
shawnmck posted...
secondhand1 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

Oh, sweet Jesus.

^ What is there to not understand ?
You are acting like the people who don't play video-games DON'T understand how playing a video-game can be relaxing and stress relieving.

Just because you don't get it, doesn't make it not true.

Some people like to work on cars & engines to relieve stress....
Some play sports, like football.
Some dissect insects.
Some pick & smell flowers.
Some have sex.
Some play video-games.
Some like to shoot guns.
etc, and etc..

Don't mock what you don't understand.
It just shows you for the arrogant elitist snob that you are.

I think he is pointing to the fact that the poster thinks gun owners are immune to mental issues because they relieve stress by using the shooting range instead of going to shrinks and getting prescribed medicines that the poster thinks is the leading cause of Gun Fatalities.

Point is firing a gun at a shooting range and Playing video games really has nothing to do with the Gun Homicide rates in america, but the easy accessibility of Firearms statistically may have some form of impact, as seen in other countries that have similar culture, society, economy and media to the US but much much much less gun fatalities and very strict gun control.
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#379shawnmckPosted 1/18/2013 10:59:12 AM
^ Accessibility to guns doesn't cause any crime.
That is a fallacy of logic.
Its a fact that more people are killed with claw hammers than are killed with guns.
Are we going to ban them too ?

Another fact that keeps getting overlooked is that in almost every case, the perpetrator of these gun shooting crimes had a history of mental illness that was well diagnosed and well documented, but nothing gets done because the same people that want to ban guns are the same people who block any legislation that comes along to try to get these people the help they need.

Its all a sham.
The goal isn't what you think it is.
It's NOT to prevent any deaths, but to control people ..... namely, law-abiding citizens.
Criminals don't obey the laws by definition.
#380TheBlueStigPosted 1/18/2013 11:03:55 AM
reverence27 posted...
you show no fear of your government and instead respect and accept it and its elected officials to establish a safe and peaceful community for all americans to prosper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-0qG-vvHxI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fxF0ZpdbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wjxXPpnWao

Are those REALLY the people you want making more laws against common everyday things?

Remember something, those same people, and more just like them, are the ones who passed more than 40,000 new laws that started in 2012.

Do we really need laws against playing baseball, sex toys and sex positions in the privacy of your own home, public flirting, teaching correct history in schools, identifying pets, ice cream cones in your back pocket, and making happy hour illegal?

How about instead of wasting Trillions of taxpayer dollars making everything under the sun illegal, we just enforce the laws we already have?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin