This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Obama just mentioned violent video games

#71Rome218Posted 1/16/2013 11:01:15 AM
I'm not taking credit for this, it's long and a comment on CNN:

Not multiple rounds per second that gun fires no faster than a revolver. Or any other semi automatic ever it fires one round per pull of the trigger. And while tougher background checks are aimed at felons. The majority of these laws are aimed at law abiding gun owners and restricting their access to guns.

While hunting and competition shooting is a fun perk of gun ownership. The 2nd amendment ensures peoples right to stand up against unjust government and tyranny. That is its true purpose, while you say that would never happen this is America. Consider this a majority of democracy's have lasted only a couple of century's. Always reverting back to a form of government that enslaved its people. Some have lasted longer but most have fallen to the human appetite and greed.You say well this is the modern age that would never happen it has happened almost half a dozen times in the last 100 years.

Its easy to forget but this country was built on rebellion against injustices and tyranny. We were not always free and we were not always America. It was ordinary men with guns that stopped the Britain from sucking us dry to strengthen Britain . While the need may not happen soon the day will inevitability come as history has proven again and again. Where the need to stand up against tyranny will exist.

---
HP Pavilion | Windows 7 | 700 gb HDD | 17' lcd display | Speakers | 3 USB Ports | HDMI port | Wireless-N | DVD/CD Read/Write
#72shawnmckPosted 1/16/2013 11:01:43 AM
Rome218 posted...
I'm going to be bluntly honest here. In 2008 Obama was someone I believed in. In 2012 I saw him as a politician and a flawed man, but a good one nonetheless.

Now I think he's an idiot! Banning assault rifles? We forget the reason we have the right to beat arms is to overthrow a tyrannical Government. Sure right now things are swell, but who knows what the world will be 100 years from now? Are we setting our future generations up for failure? This can be a major stepping stone towards taking away that right.

Then the real kicker of why I think this is stupid. Are they going to ban weapons that look the scariest? Everyone screams assault rifles needs to be banned, but more people are killed by semi auto pistols.

These assault rifles are semi auto. They have longer ranges and can go through armor better. However when it comes down to some crazy shooting up a school, it really doesn't make a difference if he has an assault rifle or several pistols.

Just because a gun looks scary, does not mean it's more dangerous.

^ What gets me, is that he (& his party) wants to ban assault rifles and clips that carry 10 bullets or more...but they poo-poo the idea of having an armed guard at every school.

Banning guns will do NOTHING but embolden criminals even more...whereas having an armed guard on the grounds will be a deterrent...but they glom onto the first, but disregard the second.
I have to conclude that they don't really care and are NOT concerned with saving lives, but are more interested in pushing an agenda, which will eventually lead to a complete ban on all guns.

Meanwhile they all have armed guards 24/7 with fully auto machine guns...but they want to deprive citizens from being able to defend themselves.
#73TheBlueStigPosted 1/16/2013 11:03:36 AM
SparkItUp posted...
yet the moment people want to make sure mentally unstable people don't get assault rifles

Existing laws stopped Lanza from buying legally, he STOLE the weapons he used after murdering his own mother, and there's already laws against people with histories of mental instability purchasing guns, it's a question on EVERY gun purchase form. Why the F*** is that not enough for you people?

You simply CANNOT predict when a crime is going to happen or stop someone determined to do it, EVEN WITH PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF THE CRIME ABOUT TO HAPPEN the crimes still occur.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#74Rome218Posted 1/16/2013 11:06:31 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Rome218 posted...
I'm going to be bluntly honest here. In 2008 Obama was someone I believed in. In 2012 I saw him as a politician and a flawed man, but a good one nonetheless.

Now I think he's an idiot! Banning assault rifles? We forget the reason we have the right to beat arms is to overthrow a tyrannical Government. Sure right now things are swell, but who knows what the world will be 100 years from now? Are we setting our future generations up for failure? This can be a major stepping stone towards taking away that right.

Then the real kicker of why I think this is stupid. Are they going to ban weapons that look the scariest? Everyone screams assault rifles needs to be banned, but more people are killed by semi auto pistols.

These assault rifles are semi auto. They have longer ranges and can go through armor better. However when it comes down to some crazy shooting up a school, it really doesn't make a difference if he has an assault rifle or several pistols.

would you like a F-15 Strike Eagle with 2000 lb bombs as well? oh wait...there are limits on the 2nd amendment. The only difference between assault rifles civilians use and the rifles used in warfare are that the ones you can get at the store don't have 3round burst....that isn't much difference..The basic mechanics are the same. They are a weapon of war. very few buy them for self defense...they are basically for either those that were in the military (in a sense, I can agree with ex-soldiers having them) or for those that fantasize about being in the military and either can't or couldn't hack it.

The only limits on the 2nd amendment is the ones we allow our leaders to take. This Country was forged on war and taking out a tyrant. Yes our forefathers called him a TYRANT. Our Country was founded on these principles where if a Government goes out of control, the people can fight back. Try not to be so short sighted. I'm a DEMOCRAT and I'm telling you this is wrong.
---
HP Pavilion | Windows 7 | 700 gb HDD | 17' lcd display | Speakers | 3 USB Ports | HDMI port | Wireless-N | DVD/CD Read/Write
#75otisanimePosted 1/16/2013 11:06:54 AM
Rome218 posted...

If you have this opinion, you sure most have a REEEEEEEEEEAL low opinion of all those other civilized countries (Almost ALL OF THEM) that have banned guns? All those countries! Gonna be overrun by tyrannical governments! But not the holy nation of America! Where it's got the righteous guns of power! It alone is the shining light, CLEARLY, the ONE left that's thinking right, ALL THESE OTHER COUNTRIES are just INSANE, right?
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#76otisanimePosted 1/16/2013 11:08:47 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
SparkItUp posted...
yet the moment people want to make sure mentally unstable people don't get assault rifles

Existing laws stopped Lanza from buying legally, he STOLE the weapons he used after murdering his own mother, and there's already laws against people with histories of mental instability purchasing guns, it's a question on EVERY gun purchase form. Why the F*** is that not enough for you people?

You simply CANNOT predict when a crime is going to happen or stop someone determined to do it, EVEN WITH PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF THE CRIME ABOUT TO HAPPEN the crimes still occur.

Why did you never answer what I asked? I asked twice! and how come when people refute you with things you simply flat out ignore it, like that guy up there about Switzerland

Is there something wrong with you? :x
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#77Rome218Posted 1/16/2013 11:09:38 AM
shawnmck posted...
Rome218 posted...

^ What gets me, is that he (& his party) wants to ban assault rifles and clips that carry 10 bullets or more...but they poo-poo the idea of having an armed guard at every school.

Banning guns will do NOTHING but embolden criminals even more...whereas having an armed guard on the grounds will be a deterrent...but they glom onto the first, but disregard the second.
I have to conclude that they don't really care and are NOT concerned with saving lives, but are more interested in pushing an agenda, which will eventually lead to a complete ban on all guns.

Meanwhile they all have armed guards 24/7 with fully auto machine guns...but they want to deprive citizens from being able to defend themselves.

I don't always stray away from my party, but I agree with you here. Perhaps it's the Texan in me, or the fact that I took a God Damn history class and understand why we have a 2nd amendment.

Abortions? Yes, more. Too many crappy parents and I believe in a woman's right to choose.
Gay Marriage? Our straight marriage ends in over 50% divorce, so marriage no longer has sanctity to protect.

I'm with Democrats with most social issues, but not this.
---
#78SheepinatorPosted 1/16/2013 11:10:02 AM
shawnmck posted...
whereas having an armed guard on the grounds will be a deterrent...but they glom onto the first, but disregard the second.

That's how the Columbine attack was thwarted before it began. Oh wait. You realize it's whack-a-mole, right? Eventually you'd need an armed guard at every store and every public space. Every park. Every pedestrian shopping area. Every restaurant. etc. This is the future we strive for? The one the Founders envisioned?

Comparing a high profile public figure to a random Joe is a straw man and you know it.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#79Rome218Posted 1/16/2013 11:10:47 AM
otisanime posted...
Rome218 posted...

If you have this opinion, you sure most have a REEEEEEEEEEAL low opinion of all those other civilized countries (Almost ALL OF THEM) that have banned guns? All those countries! Gonna be overrun by tyrannical governments! But not the holy nation of America! Where it's got the righteous guns of power! It alone is the shining light, CLEARLY, the ONE left that's thinking right, ALL THESE OTHER COUNTRIES are just INSANE, right?

I'm sorry, I am a proud American born in Fort Hood, Texas. I frankly don't give a rats ass about other Countries.
---
#80KtuluheroIIPosted 1/16/2013 11:11:43 AM
I'm sorry, I am a proud American born in Fort Hood, Texas. I frankly don't give a rats ass about other Countries.

See America, this is why the rest of the world hates you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/47zOc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MsEGm.jpg