This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great article about(first hand) mental instability, video games, and violence

#1mrhappyguy12345Posted 1/16/2013 4:15:09 PM
http://kotaku.com/5976286/im-mentally-ill-i-love-violent-video-games-and-theyve-never-made-me-feel-like-killing-anyone

Great read for anyone interested.
---
What happened to happy, non-jaded gamers?
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 1/16/2013 4:17:04 PM
Good read.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3KillaBeAtPosted 1/16/2013 5:01:13 PM
Violent video-games are not a cause of a problem, but a symptom. This is not a difficult thing and I don't know why this is even still an argument.

The same thing happened with violent television, the same thing happened with violent movies, the same thing happened with violent music.

The guy is right. There aren't exactly a ton of people who play a violent video-game and suddenly feel the need to kill people (I would say that, from a statistical standpoint, it is pretty close to a non-factor).

This is a cultural problem and, in truth, video-games don't help, even though they aren't responsible and are being scapegoated(I felt the need to reiterate that point)
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#4GGearXPosted 1/16/2013 5:10:46 PM
KillaBeAt posted...
Violent video-games are not a cause of a problem, but a symptom. This is not a difficult thing and I don't know why this is even still an argument.

The same thing happened with violent television, the same thing happened with violent movies, the same thing happened with violent music.

The guy is right. There aren't exactly a ton of people who play a violent video-game and suddenly feel the need to kill people (I would say that, from a statistical standpoint, it is pretty close to a non-factor).

This is a cultural problem and, in truth, video-games don't help, even though they aren't responsible and are being scapegoated(I felt the need to reiterate that point)

All video games that have guns should be banned. I played Turok when I was young and it didnt affect me. But back then the graphics were crappy so we KNEW that it was a game. As graphics get better. It's going to become harder and harder for 8 year olds to differentiate between reality and fantasy.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#5Deathx113Posted 1/16/2013 5:12:00 PM
GGearX posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

All video games that have guns should be banned. I played Turok when I was young and it didnt affect me. But back then the graphics were crappy so we KNEW that it was a game. As graphics get better. It's going to become harder and harder for 8 year olds to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

Naaaah, they need to ban all games with uhh space in them.

Soon we'll have kids just openly walking into space and dieing, because they are all morons and stuff.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#6aDominationPosted 1/16/2013 5:12:27 PM
GGearX posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

All that proves is how weak minded people are.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Hail the Catastrophe 150(G) Become a Jenova Witness of your own free will.
#7GGearXPosted 1/16/2013 5:25:11 PM
aDomination posted...
GGearX posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

Meh. I'm not worried about it now. But I'm sure the media will blame Video games one day repeating the same thing they did in Columbine, and in Newtown. And I really think they will ban Games with high violence.
I mean if you shoot at life like looking people in call of duty with physics that are so damn close to reality. That would be crazy as hell.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#8KillaBeAtPosted 1/16/2013 5:44:49 PM
GGearX posted...
aDomination posted...
GGearX posted...
KillaBeAt posted...

Meh. I'm not worried about it now. But I'm sure the media will blame Video games one day repeating the same thing they did in Columbine, and in Newtown. And I really think they will ban Games with high violence.
I mean if you shoot at life like looking people in call of duty with physics that are so damn close to reality. That would be crazy as hell.

When did I ever say that I blamed violent video-games for anything? In fact, I quite expressly said that video-games are a symptom of the violence problem, not a cause of it. Twice.

I made the statement that the proliferation of violent video-games reinforces the violent nature of American culture, and did anybody have anything to say about that? Nope. They decided that I wanted to ban games.

This kind of short sighted "I'm right and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong" mentality that forces us to jump to insane conclusions about every single person who disagrees with us in even the slightest way is exactly why, even in the face of INSURMOUNTABLE STATISTICAL EVIDENCE (I'm not talking specifically about violence here either, because there isn't insurmountable evidence for that, just thought I should slip this in and let everyone know it's a tangent), America won't even admit there is a problem, let alone work together to find a solution. Everybody is right, and the people who disagree with them are either;

a) Dumb republican rednecks
or
b) Stupid democratic hippies

This is going to sound incredibly crass, and I might even get modded for it. It doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but for the most part.

Neither side of this debate gives a **** about violence. Neither side gives a **** about Sandy Hook. The people on the left only want to make the point that the people on the right were wrong, and the people on the right only want to make the point that the people on the left were wrong and to cede, even an inch, from either side is the same as admitting defeat. Nobody has any ****ing solutions, they can't even agree on whether they should look for solutions, but they all have plenty of blame to throw around.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#9mrhappyguy12345(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 8:13:45 AM
Bump
---
What happened to happy, non-jaded gamers?
#10crucialPosted 1/17/2013 3:00:43 PM
Ya dont put the blame on the parents,kid's do not buy game's there parents do,when I was growing up mortal kombat was the in thing when it come's to violent video game's so my parents dicided not to buy it for me as well as R rated movie's,I get on CoD and hear 8 year olds on there.

And since when was it smart to buy all these gun's and have them in you're house when you have a mental ill child living with you,wow did she not think about that?

Parents need to step it up and be parents that's the problem we have in this country is family it's going the way of VHS.

When the phrase baby momma and baby daddy came into play are country was and is doomed.