This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about where gaming is right now?

#1Gunvalkyrie2Posted 1/17/2013 10:50:22 AM(edited)
How do you feel about where gaming is right now? - Results (165 votes)
It's never been better, the diversity is great.
33.33% (55 votes)
It used to be better in prior generations, more focused.
66.67% (110 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Not looking at where gaming is headed just wondering what people think about NOW versus THEN.
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#2zender1999Posted 1/17/2013 11:05:21 AM
used to be better, too much focus on microtransaction, season passes and other things to squeeze the gamer , using piracy as excuses to do what they want...which in the end affects the gamer
all this put ahead of actually caring about making a great game and giving the gamer the best you can, now it is about cutting things out...giving less to the gamer in order to sell it later on as add on
when things like that are the first priority most games will be bad
#3SunDevil77Posted 1/17/2013 11:08:25 AM
Not enough options. Gaming is damn good right now, the best? I don't know if I could say that. But I am contempt.
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#4TravarkothPosted 1/17/2013 11:14:57 AM
There needs to be a middle option.

It's been great, but I wouldn't say 'it's never been better.'
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#5_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 1/17/2013 11:18:42 AM
I think gaming is in a pretty good place. Budgets have never been bigger, and we have never seen more releases on more different platforms.

However, it has lost some of its simple charm that it used to have in the past, when the industry was not as well developed as it is now. Or that could just be me getting old.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | 8GB RAM | 1TB 7200 rpm | Corsair VX 550w | CM Gladiator | Samsung S24A350H | Corsair K90 & M90 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518
#6MK_GodPosted 1/17/2013 11:26:09 PM
Gamers can quickly tell which games are made for quick profit and which are made for the gamer, ie good quality games. Unfortunately, I feel like games these days are all about the quick buck. The number of quick profit games outweigh the good quality awesome games.
---
@NCrediblyJACK3D
#7memphis12Posted 1/18/2013 12:09:53 AM(edited)
It's at a standstill. There is nothing I'm looking forward to this year, except New Xbox. Hence why I'm currently clearing backlog, or purchasing an older game (The Witcher 2)

We need New Xbox to freshen everything up.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#8RayzerTagPosted 1/18/2013 1:15:31 AM(edited)
Last year was one of the best years for gaming ever, with indie/small studio/niche games blowing AAA games out of the water and all that.

So yes, gaming is definitely in a good spot.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#9darkharePosted 1/18/2013 1:32:11 AM
i dont think its gaming thats changed, i think its the media that surrounds gaming. like lemmings kids are told what to like and what not to like, and because of this gaming is now in the sorry state its in today.
---
young enough to still enjoy being a ass, old enough not to give a damn about how it makes you feel.
#10SparkItUpPosted 1/18/2013 1:55:56 AM(edited)
I didn't select either option since nothing really close to my answer was there. I think the problems are just the opposite really, in previous generations, there was much more diversity in games to choose from. Now if it isn't a AAA title or if it doesn't fit a certain genre, whether it's good or not, it doesn't get much press or fanfare. In the past, many games captured people and spread via word of mouth about how good they were, whereas today people rely on the interwebs to tell them what to play before the game even comes out.

DLC is a problem as well (for some games). I mean, how is it on day one we have full fledged expansions available? To me that just screams that the consumer got cheated because the devs cut it and decided to remarket the content. I don't have a problem with DLC that is made AFTER the games release, but when major content is released along with the games release, it just reeks. As far as online passes, personally I don't have a problem with it. It's a small token reward by the devs/publishers for buying the game new. If you buy a used game, the online pass generally doesn't cost anything outrageous anyways.

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...