This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about where gaming is right now?

#21vigorm0rtisPosted 1/18/2013 4:41:45 AM
triple s posted...

There was just too many good series introduced last gen that hasn't really been matched this gen.

I dunno, I'd say this gen has seen the best franchises in gaming. Sure, I miss a few last-gen franchises, but I don't suspect they'd have much new or interesting to offer-- it's easy to remember them fondly, but about the only 2 series I'm sorry to have seen gone are the core SMT games (I know Persona's still around, but I consider it a spinoff) and the Shadow Hearts franchise, and both of those mostly because JRPGs have been absolute garbage on home consoles this gen.

The one thing I do miss this gen are 'B' gems. Game budgets have gone too high to allow games to go without advertising or promo material, so there are no more surprises anymore. Used to be I could stop by TRU on a weekday and find something I'd never heard of at a bargain price and just sometimes, go home with a winner. Only example I can think of this gen is Deadly Premonition.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#22triple sPosted 1/18/2013 4:48:18 AM
^^^^I think you're kind of on the track I'm thinking. Those non AAA games that were just good fun games. I guess just seeing so great series just either die off or not show up this gen kind of bothered me as well.(Onimusha no show....Ninja Gaiden...3)
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09
#23oasisbeyondPosted 1/18/2013 5:04:09 AM
Whatever is popular devs will copy... It's always been this way. We don't see much games like Tomb Raider anymore but back in 1998 to 2002 it was copied over and over again...

Now it's clones of

HALO
GTA
GEARS
COD
GoW

These are the big dogs... like it or not.

It's just like Angry Birds on phones or tablets... Everyone copies that now...

Whatever is popular devs will try to emulate.
#24GeistPosted 1/18/2013 5:11:51 AM
People on gamefaqs are so depressing these days. I mean no offense to any one, but nostalgia seems to rule this site.
---
It is my opinion that Halo is the best thing to hit gaming since the creation of games itself.
#25DonomegaPosted 1/18/2013 5:24:57 AM
Gaming feels to gimmicky right now, with motion controllers, 3D and touch pad devices. I know get with the times, I guess I'm old :(
---
Who remembers playing the NES and seeing; "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another DLC"?
#26seankimberley42Posted 1/18/2013 5:29:59 AM
Gaming is fine fir the most part now.

Gamers on the other hand....
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#27DyingPancakePosted 1/18/2013 6:43:39 AM
Vivi0198 posted...
It's amazing. The amount of great games we get from every different genre is great. Never have we had more diversity in gaming.

Agreed. I could easily name atleast 30 games on the 360 alone that I haven't gotten around to.

Not to mention this year looks like it could be the best of this gen.

I only wish my friends and I had more time to play them. It's been ages since we've been able to play like we used to.
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#28este914Posted 1/18/2013 9:01:18 AM
It's been better in the past but my viewpoint is now skewed, since I no longer have the time to game like I used to. Not to take anything away from the games of today but to me it was better in the past.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#29Just_The_TipPosted 1/18/2013 9:14:41 AM
Good games. Instant gratification content on XBLA is great. If I was a PC gamer, Steam would be incredible.

Of course there is a lot of downside too. Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.
---
Bernard, don't be a tuna head
#30adampeltzPosted 1/18/2013 10:19:30 AM
RayzerTag posted...
Last year was one of the best years for gaming ever, with indie/small studio/niche games blowing AAA games out of the water and all that.

So yes, gaming is definitely in a good spot.

I agree with this. Very few AAA games have the same creativity as the indie stuff these days. Portal 2 is one of the few that comes to mind. Online marketplaces are now where all the gems are hidden. Also, many amazing old games from previous generations were made available to download in recent years which is nice.

If you judge gaming based only on what's happening at retail, it's in a bad spot. Stores only carry big budget games and shovel-ware. And most big budget titles are boring.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.