This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mass Effect... Shep is no Master Chief..

#11DiaperDandeePosted 1/19/2013 9:10:27 AM
Extraspectre posted...
iTossSalads posted...
Amen to that. Shep is actually a good character.

MC is a bad character?

How's that?

I'm a huge Halo fan, but how is Master Chief a good character? In many of the games most of what he says is one liners.
---
Playing (360/WiiU): Halo 4, Skyrim, Fallout 3: GOTY, LoZ: Twilight Princess
#12PatchworkPosted 1/19/2013 9:21:01 AM
The new trilogy looks to actually make MC into a character, whereas before he was kind of a blank slate for the player to project themselves upon. I liked him in Halo 4. Showed personality when the Commander of the Infinity's orders contradicted MC's feelings and didn't back down.

But currently, Shepard is the better character. Which makes sense, since ME is an RPG.
---
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n.
#13otisanimePosted 1/19/2013 9:31:27 AM
Neither one are especially good characters. Shepherd is too malleable due to the format of the games to really be called a "good character". No defined form, personality, or anything. Totally up to the user. (Which is good for the kind of game Mass Effect wanted to be), and Master Chief is a good uhm... cardboard cutout promotional character. Not a whole bunch of depth, but instantly recognizable. Says a bunch of one liners. People like to downplay that, and YES, it is shallow, but it serves a purpose. Sort of like how the Terminator says "I'll be back", and such. They both are good for what they're aiming for, but are overall entirely unremarkable characters.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#14EvilCactusPosted 1/19/2013 9:39:52 AM
DiaperDandee posted...
Extraspectre posted...
iTossSalads posted...

MC is a bad character?

How's that?

I'm a huge Halo fan, but how is Master Chief a good character? In many of the games most of what he says is one liners.

Whoosh
---
sig here
#15ExtraspectrePosted 1/19/2013 9:44:45 AM
DiaperDandee posted...
Extraspectre posted...
iTossSalads posted...

MC is a bad character?

How's that?

Most of those one liners are good. Again, what makes him a BAD character?

Just because he isn't dialogue heavy? By that logic, Gordon Freeman must be the worst character of all time.
---
Gamefaqs: The most passive aggressive place on the internet.
#16GeistPosted 1/19/2013 9:54:34 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
iTossSalads posted...

I disagree. he talks too much.

She. Shepard is female.

No. Female Shepard is just an option to appease female gamers. In the actual canon Shepard is a man.
---
It is my opinion that Halo is the best thing to hit gaming since the creation of games itself.
#17KiutsuPosted 1/19/2013 9:58:10 AM
Geist posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
iTossSalads posted...

I disagree. he talks too much.

She. Shepard is female.

No. Female Shepard is just an option to appease female gamers. In the actual canon Shepard is a man.

Or male gamers. I like the female voice actor over the male one.
#18Dragon NexusPosted 1/19/2013 9:59:51 AM

Bioware have been quoted as saying that 4 out of 5 people play Mass Effect wrong.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/mass-effect-2-femshep/

That link doesn't hold the actual quote or the source, but it's all I could find after so many years and 16 seconds of google searching.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln