This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DmC - Metacritic - Critics/pro-reviewers 89% - "Users" 39%

#31Zohar_MetatronPosted 1/19/2013 4:00:07 PM
Jamanjax posted...
http://gtagamers.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/old-new_dante.jpg

The difference between a 10/10 and a 0/10 apparently.

Gamers are silly sometimes.

I personally have plenty of reasons, with new Dante's terrible design being at the bottom of the list.

Cite some. I've yet to hear too many legit critiques, certainly nothing that's dissuading me from picking it up.
---
Who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?
#32JamanjaxPosted 1/19/2013 4:09:55 PM(edited)
Cite some. I've yet to hear too many legit critiques, certainly nothing that's dissuading me from picking it up.

Terribly shallow gameplay with nowhere near as many options as its action gaming contemporaries, and what little options you do have are limited even further through certain enemy types only being weak to certain weapons. Slow mo finishes that disrupt the flow of combat, and shoehorned platforming segments that do the same. The ranking system is far too easy, with the highest rank easily being attained through button mashing and not much else. Bosses that have easily predictable patterns, which is only made worse by how they take very little damage to defeat. DMC's traditionally cheesy story thrown out for a more serious one which attempts to hold some sort of social relevance and falls flat on its face.

It just doesn't hold up at all to my standards of what a great action game is. I have no problem with others liking it, if they do, then good for them. I just hate automatically being lumped into the "lol but dante" group when I say that I dislike it, when his new design is really the least of my worries.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#33CyricsServantPosted 1/19/2013 4:13:00 PM
I think it looks pretty good. I just can't justify buying a reboot to series I didn't feel like needed rebooting.

If this were a completely original game with new characters, I'd be on it in a heart beat. It's not though, so I'm not.
#34Zohar_MetatronPosted 1/19/2013 4:13:44 PM
And "deep" contemporary action games equal...? Only ones I can think of that aren't ridiculously simple are DMCs 1/3 and Bayonetta.
---
Who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?
#35JamanjaxPosted 1/19/2013 4:16:34 PM(edited)
And "deep" contemporary action games equal...? Only ones I can think of that aren't ridiculously simple are DMCs 1/3 and Bayonetta.

DMCs 1, 3, and 4, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and NG2, etc. etc.

Then this year alone we have MGR: Revengeance, Bayonetta 2, and Killer is Dead (provided Suda's upped his gameplay, anyway).
---
#36KillaBeAtPosted 1/19/2013 4:24:23 PM
I dunno, I don't particularly see DMC 4 as having overly deep gameplay mechanics, certainly not too much deeper than DmC. I would say the same thing about NG2 (which is actually one of my favorite games). The gameplay mechanics were incredibly solid (asides from a few horribly cheap designs), but I didn't find them particularly deep.
---
84% of people make up their statistics. If you are one of the 16% that don't, put this in your signature.
#37vega2505Posted 1/19/2013 4:27:44 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
What does this tell you?

One side is too high due to being paid off or not fans of the series originally, the other side is full of butthurt and trolls.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#38SandOnMyBootPosted 1/19/2013 4:35:24 PM
So, the "pro critics" are 100% objective and fair? Then explain the critics that rated Ni no Kuni on Game Informer, or how IGN lied about the content in Mass Effect 3, not to mention IGN's infamous reviews of God Hand and Party Babyz. How about the overly high scores for Dragon Age 2 from the sites that had all DA2 ads all over their front page? Or the Kane & Lynch scandal?

Why have NONE of the critics addressed ANY of the actual concerns of the fans? Why do they keep tossing insults at the fans and mentioning the hair when that argument was debunked years ago? Why do the reviewers visciously defend the games that pay them lots of ad revenue? Why do game reviewers get aggressive towards naysayers and insult them when movie critics do not? Why aren't people allowed to complain about bad writing or dumbed-down gameplay? Why do game reviewers keep bringing up their favorite phrase (artistic vision) whenever a game's story is poorly received? Why does no game that's released with any level of hype ever get a low score from mainstream reviewers? Why are the reviewers' opinions held in such high regard regardless of their experience with the series or genre? Why does no critic bring up the unprofessional attitude of Tameem? Why did Ninja Theory say they were aiming to please the critics rather than the fans? Why does Ninja Theory's game give the message "the media lies and brainwashes you" and then they show off all the 8/10s it got from the media?
#39JamanjaxPosted 1/19/2013 4:36:39 PM
I dunno, I don't particularly see DMC 4 as having overly deep gameplay mechanics,

Did you see DMC3 as having deep gameplay mechanics? 'Cause when it comes to Dante's side of things, DMC4 is basically an upgraded form of that. Nero doesn't have quite as much depth to him, but I still felt there was more there than in DmC, and at least they can say they tried new things with Nero's set up.

And when I'm talking about "deep" action games, I'm not thinking solely of gameplay. I'm thinking of the overall package. Gameplay, options, difficulty, so on and so forth. I felt NG2 provided all of that in a much better way than DmC.
---
#40Arucard05Posted 1/19/2013 4:51:48 PM
I just hate automatically being lumped into the "lol but dante" group when I say that I dislike it, when his new design is really the least of my worries.

Fair enough, but that group gives gaming as a whole a bad name.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.