This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Seems like a lot of video game companies are filing for Bankruptcy...

#21nitepanther1987Posted 1/21/2013 1:52:09 PM
PStrife posted...
Poor management strategies and changing consumer perception with regards to "value" is what is harming companies.

If everyone is making a short action game, why the heck do I have to buy your short product versus someone elses? Plus other perceptions about the industry trying to nickel and dime it's consumers only hurts everyone else's brands by simple association.

I am more surprised that not one American publisher has tried to differentiate themselves by putting out actual high quality product, instead they seem more caught up in the gimped product craze. Which just hurts everyone.

On the other side of the coin, several original amazing games have come out and they made no money because people didn't want to buy them. Didn't matter how great the game was, it still sold like crap. Why take a risk like that, in this economy, when you can churn out a CoD clone and hopefully make your money back.
---
Don't even bother trying. You're just gonna fail and look stupid anyways.
#22memphis12Posted 1/21/2013 2:25:17 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
Sheepinator posted...
memphis12 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
No, they screwed up and leveraged themselves on the success of Amalur to help pay for their government loan and pay for the development of their MMORPG.

EA took a 70% share of the profits.

BlueStig knows he and I don't see eye to eye on much, but in this case he is 100% right and you are 100% wrong. 38's failure has nothing to do with EA. It was entirely self inflicted.

Stick to country music Memphis.

EA had NOTHING to do with the downfall of 38 Studios. That blame lies squarely with Schilling and his piss poor investment strategy and wildly over inflated staff and budget.

Look, cheese is it? Did someone dump in your breakfast today? What's with the "country music" 'insult'? That was just harsh!

IF! EA hadn't of taken a massive 70% of the profits would Studio 38 still be standing? No one knows for sure.
Please jump off your high horse, the views a lot better down here.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#23RisingWaterPosted 1/21/2013 2:28:28 PM
Lot more will do the same.

Basically everybody* is entering this gen with much less money than in previous gen.I give gaming industry (as it is now) exactly 2 years,starting right now.

*Activision excluded
#24TheBlueStigPosted 1/21/2013 2:32:47 PM
memphis12 posted...
Look, cheese is it? Did someone dump in your breakfast today? What's with the "country music" 'insult'? That was just harsh!

IF! EA hadn't of taken a massive 70% of the profits would Studio 38 still be standing? No one knows for sure.

It's a matter of public record that Schilling leveraged his entire company on the success of Amalur to help pay for the development of their MMORPG.

If they would have stuck to the development of just ONE game at a time, not relied on government loans, they would still be around.

EA took their cut because that's the only way they would've gotten it because they saw what was done behind the scenes.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#25Deathx113Posted 1/21/2013 2:34:21 PM
Hm bankruptcy you say? Perhaps this is where kylofox (sp?) has gone.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#26memphis12Posted 1/21/2013 2:46:33 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
memphis12 posted...

It's a matter of public record that Schilling leveraged his entire company on the success of Amalur to help pay for the development of their MMORPG.

If they would have stuck to the development of just ONE game at a time, not relied on government loans, they would still be around.

EA took their cut because that's the only way they would've gotten it because they saw what was done behind the scenes.

Ah, ok. I still think 70% was a lot. But yeah I'l concede I'm wrong.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#27SheepinatorPosted 1/21/2013 3:44:14 PM
So EA put up $30M to pay for Amalur, they took all the risk, and a 70/30 split isn't unusual. It's also common for the dev to see no royalties until costs are recouped. If that's the contract 38 signed then why on earth shouldn't EA get what is owed them? They are a business not a charity. Basically 38 got in way over their head with the MMO and Rhode Island, then tried to keep things going with a console game which would have needed to be a Bethesda sized hit for them to survive, but instead sold about typical for most new IP's.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.