This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We all agree that story is important, but is it the single MOST important thing?

#1MordantHubrisPosted 1/21/2013 3:12:12 PM
80/80

I apologize for bringing this here, as I know that this topic already got beaten to death not too long ago, but believe me when I say that I have a reason for bringing this to your attention.

Another poster has specifically cited this board as agreeing with his assertion that story is the single most important this in video games today.

mtjormitch posted...
Nowadays, if a video game DOESN'T have a story, many people won't give it a glance. I should also mention the fact of the matter that most people do agree with me. Just trolls inhabit this board. I made this topic on the 360 board and practically everyone agreed because THEY READ THE MAIN POST!

He also claimed people who disagree with that assertion are stupid, implying that you all agreed with that, as well. Now, the above post doesn't seem so bad, but the rest of it...

I mean, come on people. If a video game doesn't have a good story anymore, or is part of a franchise which totally destroys the lore it created it pretty much gets fed to the dogs in terms of likability. AC3 proves that it can happen to other franchises. I am going to be honest. AC3 has the exact same kind of ending ME3 had and people called it out on that...I sold the entire franchise of both games due to how horrid and dissapointing they are. Why play a video game without a good story or without a story at all?

Look at Paper Mario 3DS. It is the worst PM game out there for one reason. The game has no story... all the while the PM stories in past games were actually good to awesome. Super Paper Mario having the best Mario story ever made.

The very fact that Catherine, Portal, even The Walking Dead exist prove to me that you can make a awesome story in any video game. But if you don't do it then you honestly do not deserve a single scrap of money. Your game is not even worth wiping my butt with.

A video game without a story is more like a crack addiction than a actual piece of media...You can easily see this with games on IOS being the most obvious enemies to modern video games. A video game with a story, no matter how good or bad, are still better than anything gameplay only. Do you remember doing that huge jump in Mario, Or do you remember the twist in Bioshock? One is more important than the other for a reason.

In the interest of brevity, I have shortened the post, picking parts which highlighted my point. The post in it's entirety can be read here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/3-poll-of-the-day/65238981

A related topic is here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/3-poll-of-the-day/65219087

You can get a good idea on what I think from the second topic.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want my name associated with this kind of thinking. Yeah, story is important, but it is arguably not the single most important aspect of a video game. So I came here to ask you what your actual opinions are, rather than just take some stranger's word for it. I read his other topic, but I want to make sure I understand it.

Story is important. Do you think it is the single MOST important part of a game, hands-down?
---
WTF? Choosing between school and metal is like choosing between being sodomized with a waffle iron and *not* being sodomized with a waffle iron.
-BTB
#2RayzerTagPosted 1/21/2013 3:16:54 PM(edited)
Gameplay. There, done.

You can absolutely carry a game with an excellent story, though, like 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors or The Walking Dead.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#3Marvel ManPosted 1/21/2013 3:15:32 PM
That guy your quoting is like an evolved troll or something.
---
My steel has been tainted by the blood of a weakling!
"Goku would win because Gohan is stronger."
#4MR_SorenPosted 1/21/2013 3:18:51 PM
Story is not the most important thing. Gameplay is, that's why I play games.

In fact, a game with good gameplay and very little story can still be awesome.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#5master_gamr1231Posted 1/21/2013 3:19:40 PM
Personally, I do believe that story is the most important factor in a game. Not saying that gameplay is unimportant by any means, but I find games with great stories and mediocre gameplay (i.e. Alpha Protocol) much more enjoyable than games with mediocre story and great gameplay (i.e. Dark Souls).
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#6bluehat94Posted 1/21/2013 3:21:59 PM(edited)
Marvel Man posted...

I think he's actually the progenitor of the species, the perfect troll, if you will, all the different but imperfect versions of troll branched off from him at some point in the past, my proof is this, he only needs to be satiated once every couple months, the other trolls seem either too afraid or too respectful to interfere with his topics, and he manages to make himself look like a raving lunatic effortlessly.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#7MordantHubris(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 3:21:57 PM
RayzerTag posted...
Gameplay. There, done.

You can absolutely carry a game with an excellent story, though, like 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors or The Walking Dead.

Absolutely. And personally, I think a good story can help bolster the game as a whole. But the story is meant to enhance the gameplay, not the other way around. The guy I quoted seems to think the interactivity is part of the story...

Marvel Man posted...

Yes, we've pretty much reached that consensus as well. Not an evolved troll, though. I imagine an evolved troll has more than one trick.
---
WTF? Choosing between school and metal is like choosing between being sodomized with a waffle iron and *not* being sodomized with a waffle iron.
-BTB
#8nothingbeastPosted 1/21/2013 3:23:17 PM
Depends on what i'm in the mood for.

Most of the time I'd rather have an interactive movie with a story that pulls me in.

But other times I don't mind a fun game with zero details to pay attention to other than the game itself.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#9ZashulePosted 1/21/2013 3:26:52 PM
TC clearly has not played CounterStrike. There is 0 story involved and it has a massive following.
---
http://backloggery.com/Zashule : Last 1000 LEGO Batman 2 : Last 200 Adera (Win8)
Current XBOX LIVE GS:131,089 Next Goal: 140K GT: TBreit
#10MordantHubris(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 3:28:35 PM
Zashule posted...
TC clearly has not played CounterStrike. There is 0 story involved and it has a massive following.

Whoa whoa WHOA! I never said story was more important. That came from another poster who claimed YOU guys all agreed with him. I'm on your side, here!
---
-BTB