This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We all agree that story is important, but is it the single MOST important thing?

#11NintendologicalPosted 1/21/2013 3:34:48 PM
No amount of amazing story can save a game that is uninteresting or boring to play. The reason why multiplayer modes and games have proliferated is because multiplayer experiences embody the purest element of gaming: gameplay. All you do with multiplayer games and multiplayer modes is play a game, where every other aspect is secondary. This is why games like Halo and Call of Duty have huge communities. This is why thousands of players still play Killing Floor on Steam even though it is four years old.

There is nothing wrong with story in a game. In fact, there are some great stories found in video games, and there are many excellent games that are story driven. However, an emphasis on cinematic experiences can (and does) detract from that which separates a video game from any other story based experience; interactivity. A video game is not a passive experience. The moment you ask the player to read more than do, to watch more than interact, is the moment you are turning the medium into something it is not. If audiences want a passive story driven experience, books have been doing that for thousands of years, and films have been doing it for over a century.

Stories can help create a more elaborate and immersive game world, but ultimately, they justify what the user is doing on screen more than anything else. In the past, if the lore of a game were truly fascinating, it would receive an expanded universe in the form of films, comics and novels. Now, developers are obsessed with gaining mainstream approval for games as an art form. Honestly, I feel that such desperation has hurt this medium far more than it could ever (and will ever) help it. There is nothing wrong with games being great at what they do, and that is creating exciting interactive experiences and allowing players to do things they could never do in the real world. If I want a great story, I'll go watch Game of Thrones or read Ralph Ellison novels.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#12Blackvoodoo79Posted 1/21/2013 3:36:41 PM(edited)
Marvel Man posted...
That guy you're quoting is like an unevolved troll or something.

---
PSN-Diesel_Afflict
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/affliction1979/pillowpants.jpg http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/affliction1979/killit2.jpg
#13Silent Sniper IVPosted 1/21/2013 3:36:34 PM
Video game story/narrative/dialogue are usually pretty terrible and presented like young adult fiction. I actually far prefer the minimalist style of dark souls than the usual cringeworthy video game narrative.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#14sockesockePosted 1/21/2013 3:41:04 PM
i dont care about story in most games.
---
MotiJr:Sony copied George Foreman grills with their playstation 3 design.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#15majinbuu58Posted 1/21/2013 3:41:16 PM
Oh dear god, please don't give mitch this much attention. Its bad enough that we have to deal with him once every few months. He's been trolling this site for years
#16pothocketPosted 1/21/2013 3:45:12 PM
I enjoy a well told story as much as the next guy but I don't want to watch movies while I'm playing a game. If they can't figure out how to put the narrative within the game rather than rely on custscenes as a crutch, than forget it.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#17MordantHubris(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 3:50:18 PM
majinbuu58 posted...
Oh dear god, please don't give mitch this much attention. Its bad enough that we have to deal with him once every few months. He's been trolling this site for years

Hey, you think he'll show up and start insulting all of us?
---
WTF? Choosing between school and metal is like choosing between being sodomized with a waffle iron and *not* being sodomized with a waffle iron.
-BTB
#18Auron772Posted 1/21/2013 3:50:56 PM
For me it's tied with gameplay. Though I will forgive a game with a poor story if it provides some phenomenal gameplay/multiplayer. That said, I can also forgive mediocre gameplay if given a strong story.
---
"I have two rules I follow. The first, never kill someone without a reason. The second, you can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren
#19Elements012894Posted 1/21/2013 4:13:23 PM
No not at all easily gameplay. For me personally I need a motivation at the very least though. Mario doesn't exactly have a story other then save peach. Theres my motive now I get to it.

If its something like minecraft where it just says "go do stuff" then no I can't really enjoy it without friends.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#20Limp_sugarPosted 1/21/2013 4:14:30 PM
Gameplay is more important to me but I gladly play games with cool stories too.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.