This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody see the Hobbit? Does video games framerates have any affect?

#1bronze4v4proPosted 1/21/2013 4:33:40 PM
lots of people said that the frames per second on the hobbit in the theatres, 48 fps I think, made them feel dizzy and they had difficulty adjusting to the film's graphics.

Since lots of video games are at 60 fps, do you think us playing all these console and pc games could make us "immune" to the framerate enhances the hobbit had?

I have to be honest, I didn't see a difference at all. I could have mistaken the hobbit for one of the lord of the rings movies, visually. It looked very similar. My sister had to adjust, but not me.
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 1/21/2013 4:36:14 PM
Your eyes can't even see 48 or 60 FPS, but your brain doesn't have to fill in as many gaps, so it makes sense (at least to me) that a person accustomed to seeing something in a higher FPS wouldn't be bothered.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3TheGam3925Posted 1/21/2013 4:43:20 PM
Go play Turok 2 on N64 and then come back.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#4RycerXPosted 1/21/2013 4:47:44 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5knightimexPosted 1/21/2013 5:19:38 PM
48fps on a movie makes the movie feel like less of a movie to-some-people, but not to me.

60fps should be a gaming standard no exceptions.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#6n64fan1Posted 1/21/2013 5:25:51 PM
I didn't notice anything unusual about the Hobbit. Interesting.
---
My signature has been on vacation since 2008. Guess it's not coming back.
#7JenniferTatePosted 1/21/2013 8:39:24 PM
n64fan1 posted...
I didn't notice anything unusual about the Hobbit. Interesting.

It's shown in traditional and 48 frames showings. You'd know because it would say it was the 48 frame showing on the marquee or ticket, or at least that's how my theaters do it.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#8TheBlueStigPosted 1/21/2013 8:59:41 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Your eyes can't even see 48 or 60 FPS, but your brain doesn't have to fill in as many gaps, so it makes sense (at least to me) that a person accustomed to seeing something in a higher FPS wouldn't be bothered.

Bulls***, the human eye does not see in frames per second, it never has and never will.

That whole line about "people can't differentiate high framerates" is utter crap.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#9cutegamebabePosted 1/21/2013 10:16:36 PM
The 48 frames version of The Hobbit was pretty amazing. The CG looked a bit more fake than usual, but everything else was smooth and realistic.
---
www.jefunhouse.com - Best video game podcast & blog!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/je-funhouse-we-are-what-you-play
#10phattsaoPosted 1/22/2013 1:11:07 PM
48 fps Hobbit was the opposite of what the first guy said: it was clearer, smoother, and as a result LESS headachey than a normal 3D movie.

If you saw the Hobbit in HFR you'd know it, so I'm guessing you didn't.