This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

#11shawnmckPosted 1/21/2013 8:48:17 PM
People complaining that video-games are "too violent" need to realize that it (video-games) are a form of Art....and since the beginning of mankind there has been violence in every form of Art.
Paintings, Stories & Books, Music, Movies....and now video-games.
To single out video-games is pretty damn close-minded, arrogant, elitist, stupid, and down right petty.

I wish these ne'er-do-wells would just mind their own damn business.
Go find some homeless person to harass.
#12vigorm0rtisPosted 1/21/2013 8:58:21 PM
shawnmck posted...

To single out video-games is pretty damn close-minded, arrogant, elitist, stupid, and down right petty.

I don't think anyone's 'singling out' games-- this is a game board. A topic on movies would get modded. Do you think first, or do you just look for a reason to post this sort of thing?

On topic, there are games in which violence is pretty much the name of the game, and it's absurd to demand that a hack-and-slash, or shooter, or horror game should dial back on the violence. I find violence more or less where I expect it.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#13alienfreaks04Posted 1/21/2013 9:04:08 PM
Remember back when they thought rock n roll caused people to do drugs, have unprotected sex, and lead a care-free life?
Yeah....that didn't last long, and we look back at that and laugh, as I'm sure rock listeners back then did as well.
---
My signature is better than yours.
#14TheBlueStigPosted 1/21/2013 9:10:44 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
I don't think anyone's 'singling out' games-- this is a game board. A topic on movies would get modded. Do you think first, or do you just look for a reason to post this sort of thing?

Do YOU think first?

First of all, current news topics are not allowed on this board or any other game board.

Second of all, we already know which side you're on, you want things banned for no real reason at all. Here's a clue for you since you can't seem to find one on your own......if you don't like the games DON'T PLAY THEM.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#15shawnmckPosted 1/21/2013 9:11:01 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
shawnmck posted...

On topic, there are games in which violence is pretty much the name of the game, and it's absurd to demand that a hack-and-slash, or shooter, or horror game should dial back on the violence. I find violence more or less where I expect it.

^ Don't be an ass....you know damn well what I meant, as politicians are currently looking into censoring the violence in video-games, whereas they won't do a damn thing about movies.
Video-games are currently being used as a scape-coat, and I for one am tired of the morally bankrupt politicians doing such shady practices in order to further their political careers.

If you can't see what is going on then you are part of the problem.

And if you don't like what I write or can't understand it, then just ignore it.
But I take from your comment that you must be fairly young, because you lack any thinking skills.
#16Zero254Posted 1/21/2013 9:20:06 PM
Does nobody even remember Chiller the game?
---
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4318/sadhurtzeldarw8.jpg http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1761/sadhurtzeldaburnbh0.jpg
Official Roll player of vs games.
#17vigorm0rtisPosted 1/21/2013 9:21:13 PM
TheBlueStig posted...

Second of all, we already know which side you're on, you want things banned for no real reason at all. Here's a clue for you since you can't seem to find one on your own......if you don't like the games DON'T PLAY THEM.

You don't really read my posts, Stig, I realized that a while ago. I don't have an issue with violence in any media, and I've always said so. I don't believe in weapons bans, and I'm generally in favor of legalizing drugs.

Then again, I suppose if you were a reader, you might not show up with so much dumbassed stuff to spout.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#18goldenboy1867Posted 1/21/2013 9:21:41 PM
GorillaOnRoof posted...
Here is an example of what to look for:

It's not the violence in GAMES that is the problem. The GOVERNMENT...... the GOVERNMENT is going to TAKE my GUNS. Not if my ol .45 has ANYTHING to say about that.

People can still use swords -_-.
---
are you saying i can run from a bullet
#19TheBlueStigPosted 1/21/2013 9:23:35 PM
alienfreaks04 posted...
Remember back when they thought rock n roll caused people to do drugs, have unprotected sex, and lead a care-free life?
Yeah....that didn't last long, and we look back at that and laugh, as I'm sure rock listeners back then did as well.

Actually that lasted from the late 1940's until about 1993 when the first videogame violence trial started.

It really hit big around the time of the PMRC and Tipper Gore in 1985 when Ozzy, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Prince, Sheena Easton, Madonna, and many many more were singled out is the "filthiest artists".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

Yes, Al Gore's wife really was that much of a B****. She's the real reason why Al Gore never won the presidential election. Music lovers nationwide remembered her bulls*** and swore she would never see that kind of power.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#20xRawrz_ilyPosted 1/21/2013 9:24:31 PM
Honestly,they've always been violent. The reason people are causing such a big controversy about it now is because it's become a lot more popular;especially amongst kids that are 9 & should be playing Mario bros instead of call of duty.
---
---I'd rather be hated for who I am,than to be loved for who I'm not.---