This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

#21vigorm0rtisPosted 1/21/2013 8:25:09 PM
shawnmck posted...

And if you don't like what I write or can't understand it, then just ignore it.
But I take from your comment that you must be fairly young, because you lack any thinking skills.

That's the burden of young media. Cinema, music, you name it, have all been blamed for violence or general vice at one time or another. As more gamers join middle-age, it'll cool off.

And if you were paying attention in the thread you posted the other day, I was one of 5 first-gen gamers-- just like you. So yeah, I'm just a kid.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#22shawnmckPosted 1/21/2013 8:32:46 PM
xRawrz_ily posted...
Honestly,they've always been violent. The reason people are causing such a big controversy about it now is because it's become a lot more popular;especially amongst kids that are 9 & should be playing Mario bros instead of call of duty.

^ Which is the responsibility of Parents, NOT politicians.
#23vigorm0rtisPosted 1/21/2013 8:38:15 PM
shawnmck posted...

Agreed-- to a point. The ESRB does a pretty good job. It worked for the comics industry (in the form of the comics code), but I think parents need a little more help from retailers. I'm done expecting them to educate themselves, but when I sold games, I informed parents about ratings, and they usually made 'appropriate' decisions. I guess.

If I had kids, I'd be more likely to censor on the basis of language and sex, and when they turned 12, the leash comes off. Maybe good that I'm not a parent.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#24TheBlueStigPosted 1/21/2013 8:54:37 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
shawnmck posted...

Agreed-- to a point. The ESRB does a pretty good job. It worked for the comics industry (in the form of the comics code), but I think parents need a little more help from retailers. I'm done expecting them to educate themselves, but when I sold games, I informed parents about ratings, and they usually made 'appropriate' decisions. I guess.

If I had kids, I'd be more likely to censor on the basis of language and sex, and when they turned 12, the leash comes off. Maybe good that I'm not a parent.

12 is about the right age, far too many people shelter their kids and that only leads to more problems.

Think back when you were a kid, your parents told you not to do certain things, as soon as you were alone you did everything they told you not to do out of general curiosity.

Proper teaching is far better than sheltering every single time.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#25MertensCWPosted 1/21/2013 8:54:45 PM
Humans have always been violent.

What has history done to curve the violence? oh right..
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#26GorillaOnRoofPosted 1/21/2013 9:03:48 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
I don't think anyone's 'singling out' games-- this is a game board. A topic on movies would get modded. Do you think first, or do you just look for a reason to post this sort of thing?

Do YOU think first?

First of all, current news topics are not allowed on this board or any other game board.

Posting mindless paranoid nonsense about current events are your forte, Kurgan.
I still think of this guy when I read your posts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2531r9-S5fw#t=52s
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#27shawnmckPosted 1/21/2013 9:12:44 PM
MertensCW posted...
Humans have always been violent.

What has history done to curve the violence? oh right..

^ Humans are hard-wired for violence. It is part of our nature, just like any wild animal, such as a tiger, or a bear, and so on.
So trying to come up with ways to suppress that built in trigger for violence is a bad idea...and instead we should be focusing our attention on creating a conduit to expel that violence in a more productive or creative way.
Sports are a good way of doing it...playing video-games is another.
But suppressing that violent nature is a recipe for disaster.

It should be common sense...but some people act like nannies and want to treat everyone like children.
That's just the wrong way to go about it.
We shouldn't suppress our inclination (nature) for violence, but rather understand it, channel it, and funnel it, and learn how & when to release it productively, or at the very least in a harmless way.

Instead of banning violent video-games, we should be embracing them in a limited way.
I'm NOT advocating that kids play them, as that's what games like Mario (etc) are for.
But more graphic games should be for adults.
What I am basically saying is that they should be age appropriate....like anything else.
Don't ban violent video-games...just find ways to prevent young children from accessing them until they reach the appropriate age level.

This should all be common sense.
#28ChargrilledPosted 1/21/2013 9:14:30 PM
About the same theyve always been.

green beret on spectrum also had violence and that was decades ago.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#29rusty12000Posted 1/21/2013 9:26:15 PM
It's the cultures fault. work to many hours, don't have time to raise your kids and let TV and video games teach them right and wrong. what do you expect is going to happen.?
---
http://openmedia.ca/meter -- Put a stop to Big internet companies trying to put a cap on bandwidth in Canada!!!!
#30Icuras08Posted 1/21/2013 9:35:38 PM(edited)
My problem is that video games only resort to violence. I would like more games like Deus ex which allow no-killing playthroughs, or games like Harvest Moon where you don't harm a soul at all...