This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

#31NintendologicalPosted 1/21/2013 10:58:32 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
There's a difference between 'too violent' and 'unnecessarily violent.' The latter is probably the discussion we should be having.

I agree with this poster. Many video games are violent. Street Fighter is violent, Super Mario Bros. is violent and even seemingly innocuous games like Pokemon are rather violent. However, depictions of violence when contextually appropriate are separate from gratuitous violence for the sake of violence. This is what made Mortal Kombat decline as a series. Remember when Brutalities blew your opponent into dozens of limbs? It was over the top, clownish and did nothing to contribute to the game experience.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#32Luthor_Posted 1/21/2013 11:11:09 PM
GorillaOnRoof posted...
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*

F***ing golden
---
I was SWAGGING WHEN I WAS 420ING then I YOLOD.
-DarkJayDragon
#33AApt24Posted 1/22/2013 12:11:50 AM
Honestly, I don't think its the violence itself that is the problem. Videogames have worked too hard to have violence and emotion so connected.

Example, in GTA 3, you could do just about anything you wanted to the thousands of faceless drones you encountered in Liberty City and no one cared. Because they were imaginary, and the game while trying to put a realistic city together made sure you knew the whole thing was a satire.

In contrast, Modern Warfare 2 starts off with you shooting up an airport, and doesn't stop until the plot twist which of course was designed to get an emotional response from the player. (Referring to a certain even that takes place outside a cabin people)

Another example: In Mike Tyson punch out, the idea was just to hit the guy. But it was goofy with players making goofy sounds and the animations were just plain goofy.

In fight night champion you are presented with a likable rocky clone who gets screwed over in a real life (albeit soap opera esque) scenario, and you wind up with an emotional plot twist which sets up a finale that makes you want to beat the holy crap out of the final boss. And in the game play itself, the animations are so life like you see the skin of players faces ripple and shake as a result of your haymaker left hooks.

Back in the day games were games. Now they are interactive emotionally gripping stories combined with even more complicated mechanics that improve the overall experience. The only problem then could be that they are too lifelike. Even in games like Mass Effect, where the tale is set in a fantasy star wars esque universe, you get tied in emotionally. And that's where the violence can be a problem.
---
"This Year in Jerusalem."
#34FoppePosted 1/22/2013 12:20:44 AM
I remember Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the Atari 2600.
You were running around with a chainsaw, hunting down innocent people, hearing them scream when you slaughter them.
...or you were hunting space chicks with your giant penis covered in moving superaids just to save earth, the graphics were not that detailed to tell the difference...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#35hak145Posted 1/22/2013 12:44:49 AM
rusty12000 posted...
It's the cultures fault. work to many hours, don't have time to raise your kids and let TV and video games teach them right and wrong. what do you expect is going to happen.?

^This
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#36Super CreaturesPosted 1/22/2013 1:07:42 AM
xRawrz_ily posted...
Honestly,they've always been violent. The reason people are causing such a big controversy about it now is because it's become a lot more popular;especially amongst kids that are 9 & should be playing Mario bros instead of call of duty.

You mean kids should be stomping on the heads of enemies, throwing fireballs at their enemies, smacking them with their tails, throwing the shells of their defeated enemies at more enemies, etc, etc, etc instead of shooting their enemies?

I don't know, those E rated Mario games are looking a lot more violent than most M rated shooters like CoD.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#37FoppePosted 1/22/2013 4:22:32 AM
Super Creatures posted...
xRawrz_ily posted...
Honestly,they've always been violent. The reason people are causing such a big controversy about it now is because it's become a lot more popular;especially amongst kids that are 9 & should be playing Mario bros instead of call of duty.

You mean kids should be stomping on the heads of enemies, throwing fireballs at their enemies, smacking them with their tails, throwing the shells of their defeated enemies at more enemies, etc, etc, etc instead of shooting their enemies?

I don't know, those E rated Mario games are looking a lot more violent than most M rated shooters like CoD.

I would love to see you throw fireballs and smacking people with your tail in real life.
I have already seen enough kids killing other kids with guns.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#38RayzerTagPosted 1/22/2013 5:31:21 AM
Once people stop confusing violence and grit with maturity it will fade away.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#39Super CreaturesPosted 1/22/2013 8:31:36 AM
Foppe posted...
I have already seen enough kids killing other kids with guns.

And long before guns, people were stomping other people's heads in.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#40BeastLeeAdamsPosted 1/22/2013 8:41:21 AM
Lodiss posted...
The real question, as I see it, is what makes violence so cool?

Could it have anything to do with the wars? The US fights a major war at least once every ten years, with smaller deployments to conflict zones at least once every five years. We wouldn't be able to get soldiers for this endless war machine if we didn't glorify and romanticize war and violence in general.

If the 18-year-olds didn't think violence was cool, the American empire would crumble.

America focuses on violence, but taboo about sex while Europe focuses on Sex, but less violence. And then Japan is all about friendship....when they are not working themselves to death.