This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Have games become too violent?
3 years ago#41
Super Creatures posted...
Foppe posted...
I have already seen enough kids killing other kids with guns.

And long before guns, people were stomping other people's heads in.

And we had crusaders killing the the name of God, your point is what?
Right now we have another school shooting in Texas while Europe got... well, nothing...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
3 years ago#42
I don't think games have become too violent, but I do think there's too much violent games, and not enough non-violent games. (and I mean like.. graphically violent. I'm not counting cartoon violence.)

Hell, when someone makes a game without action, and you're not able to shoot people in the face in it, or whatever, people will ***** and moan and say it isn't even a game!
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
3 years ago#43
I don't know about "too" violent, but I don't know why so many gamers sit here and try to pretend they absolutely have no effect.

People are just trying to get to the bottom of why there are so many senseless shootings (another on a campus in Texas as I write this up). There are so many factors at work here.

Media : keep glorifying the senseless violence.
Games : disturbed kids are certainly role playing the violence through these games
Guns : are causing MORE violence than other methods of destruction would
Medicine : kids today and too quick to be diagnosed and drugged up
Family unit : way too many broken homes and kids not getting parental guidance.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to protect their own interest. There is a big problem brewing in this country and it all of the above needs to get addressed
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28411423@N08/5754030343/
3 years ago#44
TheBlueStig posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
shawnmck posted...

^ Which is the responsibility of Parents, NOT politicians.

Agreed-- to a point. The ESRB does a pretty good job. It worked for the comics industry (in the form of the comics code), but I think parents need a little more help from retailers. I'm done expecting them to educate themselves, but when I sold games, I informed parents about ratings, and they usually made 'appropriate' decisions. I guess.

If I had kids, I'd be more likely to censor on the basis of language and sex, and when they turned 12, the leash comes off. Maybe good that I'm not a parent.

12 is about the right age, far too many people shelter their kids and that only leads to more problems.

Think back when you were a kid, your parents told you not to do certain things, as soon as you were alone you did everything they told you not to do out of general curiosity.

Proper teaching is far better than sheltering every single time.

Exactly, Letting children play and watch violent media does not lead to these problems, it is the lack of guidance and teaching that parents do today that leaves children with no sense of morals. My parent never sheltered me from any type of violent media, but she also took part knowing what movies and games i played and watched and made sure I knew the difference between reality and fantasy. And sheltering children from language and sex over violence is just stupid. Sex is natural and we expect our children to grow up to sexual beings and language in no way causes harm to anyone. Children do need to be educated on when language is inappropriate, and the importance of safe and respectful sex, but to try and shelter them is pointless and unnatural.
Our society of religious control seems more comfortable with our children being accustomed to the glorification of Drug use and Violence in media, but thinks the natural human form and natural biology should be censored.
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
3 years ago#45
MrMikeMa posted...
I don't know about "too" violent, but I don't know why so many gamers sit here and try to pretend they absolutely have no effect.

People are just trying to get to the bottom of why there are so many senseless shootings (another on a campus in Texas as I write this up). There are so many factors at work here.

Games : disturbed kids are certainly role playing the violence through these games

I don't know why everyone is so quick to protect their own interest. There is a big problem brewing in this country and it all of the above needs to get addressed

Family Unit really depends on what you mean by Broken Homes.
I don't see how a single parent home is any worse then a 2 parent home as long as the parent is actually being a parent, and teaching their children right from wrong, and taking part in their daily life. If you mean broken homes where drugs, violence and neglect are involved, then single or 2 parent broken homes do play a huge role. These children are raised in violence or neglect and grow up to not know how to properly function in society.
I also think this new age fad of parenting where they never say no to a child only leads to many behavioral problems where children grow up not knowing any limits leading them to make bad decisions.
Medication also needs to be studied more. Any type of behavioral problem kids have today, parents and doctors are quick to just medicate. It our day your behavioral problem was fixed by a hard whupping, and if that didn't work you were sent to your room for a week, no entertainment, no toys, no phones or internet (we didn't have cordless or cell phones just the one phone line in the kitchen or internet back then) no outside contact except school.
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
3 years ago#46
MrMikeMa posted...

So far every mass shooter has been on prescription drugs for long histories of mental health problems.

And guns, by themselves, don't CAUSE anything, they're inanimate objects that sit there and do nothing when people aren't around.

Attributing anything they did solely to media, music, or videogames when they were on mind altering drugs for YEARS is just f***ing stupid.

If you really want to figure out why the news media won't touch prescription drugs as a cause of mental breaks and publicize the s*** out of it like they do for every negative use of a gun, or violent games, just look who their advertisers are, Big Pharmaceutical companies who spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year advertising their drugs, and protecting their asses from public scrutiny.

If the news would start hitting big pharma and exposing the problems, they'd lose MILLIONS in advertising revenue.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
3 years ago#47
So far every mass shooter has been on prescription drugs for long histories of mental health problems.

And guns, by themselves, don't CAUSE anything, they're inanimate objects that sit there and do nothing when people aren't around.

Right, but when guns ARE around people, stuff is happening left and right.

See, the problem here (with guns) is that these shooters are getting the damn guns. The people are proving that they cannot be responsible with guns. There were like 3 accidental shootings at gun shows this past weekend during the lovely little gun appreciation day. I know you guys think you are being treated unfairly, but tough. Blame the idiots going on shooting rampages, or blame the GOP congress from cutting the crap out the budget for mental health services.

And I know you hate to hear this, but no responsbile gun owner "needs" to own an AK-47. We can argue about this all day, but we will agree to disagree on it.

We all know games themselve dont kill people, and guns themselves dont kill people, but I still dont know why you are all pretending that these things are not intended to be used for violent means.
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
3 years ago#48
TheBlueStig -

And yes, I 100% agree with you about prescription drugs. These are definitely destroying us. I go out of my way to avoid taking any pills. I don't trust them anymore.

But then, the chemicals in our food is just as bad. We are all being slowly poisoned.

Not to sound like a tin foil hat wearing guy, but it's true
---
my Bayonetta tattoo
3 years ago#49
Games are actually less violent. It has been a long time since i have gibbed someone in a game.
3 years ago#50
MrMikeMa posted...

Right, but when guns ARE around people, stuff is happening left and right.

See, the problem here (with guns) is that these shooters are getting the damn guns. The people are proving that they cannot be responsible with guns. There were like 3 accidental shootings at gun shows this past weekend during the lovely little gun appreciation day. I know you guys think you are being treated unfairly, but tough. Blame the idiots going on shooting rampages, or blame the GOP congress from cutting the crap out the budget for mental health services.

And I know you hate to hear this, but no responsbile gun owner "needs" to own an AK-47. We can argue about this all day, but we will agree to disagree on it.

We all know games themselve dont kill people, and guns themselves dont kill people, but I still dont know why you are all pretending that these things are not intended to be used for violent means.

All the buzzwords of gun control in one post.

Accidents happen far more with other things, and kill far more people every year than guns do. Doctor's mistakes kill a quarter million people a year in the USA alone. Cars have killed up to 10X more than guns in a single year. Cigarettes kill up to 1200 a month, bad foods even more than that.

As far as the "need" argument goes, look in the mirror, look inside your own house, look at all the things you own that you don't NEED, you just want them because they might be fun to own, or you collect them.

Your computer, your game system(s), your car that far exceeds the legal speed limit, any jewelry you might own, any non-essential foods you might eat, any expensive clothing you might have, the list goes on and on and on. The simple fact remains that you don't NEED any of it.

So unless you want your own house invaded by big government and everything you don't NEED removed from your life forever, don't ever try to use that same argument against gun owners.

As far as your comment that guns can only be used for violence, maybe you should contact the Olympic Committee and get them to remove all their shooting events that they've had in both Summer and Winter games since the 1830's. While you're at it contact the people who organize shooting competitions world wide. Putting holes in small groups in paper targets at long distances does not constitute "violence".

Here's a clue for you, the media is so full of s*** right now that it's coming out of the skin under their fake hairpieces and wigs. The FBI has proven beyond all doubts that violent crime is at it's lowest point in decades, and firearm homicide numbers have been coming DOWN for more than 7 years in a row while gun sales have gone UP more than 500% in the same time period.

So explain something, since crime is DOWN, homicides are DOWN, and gun ownership is UP, why the F*** do we need stronger gun laws ? ? ? Especially when it's known world wide that those stronger laws don't effect criminals at all, and lead to HIGHER crime rates . . .

Seems kinda ass backwards dontcha think ? ? ?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Have games become too violent?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived