This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

#51reverence27Posted 1/22/2013 2:39:58 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
MrMikeMa posted...
I don't know about "too" violent, but I don't know why so many gamers sit here and try to pretend they absolutely have no effect.

People are just trying to get to the bottom of why there are so many senseless shootings (another on a campus in Texas as I write this up). There are so many factors at work here.

Media : keep glorifying the senseless violence.
Games : disturbed kids are certainly role playing the violence through these games
Guns : are causing MORE violence than other methods of destruction would
Medicine : kids today and too quick to be diagnosed and drugged up
Family unit : way too many broken homes and kids not getting parental guidance.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to protect their own interest. There is a big problem brewing in this country and it all of the above needs to get addressed

So far every mass shooter has been on prescription drugs for long histories of mental health problems.

And guns, by themselves, don't CAUSE anything, they're inanimate objects that sit there and do nothing when people aren't around.

Attributing anything they did solely to media, music, or videogames when they were on mind altering drugs for YEARS is just f***ing stupid.

If you really want to figure out why the news media won't touch prescription drugs as a cause of mental breaks and publicize the s*** out of it like they do for every negative use of a gun, or violent games, just look who their advertisers are, Big Pharmaceutical companies who spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year advertising their drugs, and protecting their asses from public scrutiny.

If the news would start hitting big pharma and exposing the problems, they'd lose MILLIONS in advertising revenue.

I would avoid saying Every, but yes very many (some numbers say 90%). But that doesn't explain how other countries that have the same prescription drugs but a much lower gun fatality rate.
England had over 40 Million SSRIs prescribed in 2011 in a population just over 50 Million, yet had almost 40 times less gun related deaths then US. While America only has around 120 Million SSRIs, prescribed and a population of over 300 million.
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#52shawnmckPosted 1/22/2013 2:49:33 PM(edited)
LoL at those of you who equate crime with guns...
Nations like the UK don't have nearly as many gun crimes, but their crime rate is practically the same.
Thus, guns are not the cause, and crimes and murder are going to happen regardless.

I would also like to point out that guns are completely banned in cities like Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, New York, and others....yet the gun crime rate is the highest in these cities, and are much lower in the cities that allow concealed weapons to be carried by citizens.
Plus, you have Countries that ban on guns, and yet their gun crime rate is through the roof (Mexico for example).
Australia did a gun ban and while their gun crimes went down slightly, their overall crime rate jumped significantly. Home invasions went up 20%. Overall assault went up nearly 30%.
Therefore banning guns solved NOTHING.

What some of you are ultimately arguing for is disarming law-abiding citizens....which does NOT, and will NOT reduce crime.
The criminals will NOT obey the law, so they won't care that guns are made illegal.
By definition a criminal does NOT obey the law.
Nor will making guns completely illegal prevent even one murder.
Its a fact that more people are killed each year with a claw-hammer than are killed with a gun.....should we ban hammers too ?
Does the presence of a claw-hammer cause someone to commit murder ?
#53reverence27Posted 1/22/2013 3:02:13 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
LoL at those of you who equate crime with guns...
Nations like the UK don't have nearly as many gun crimes, but their crime rate is practically the same.
Thus, guns are not the cause, and crimes and murder are going to happen regardless.

I would also like to point out that guns are completely banned in cities like Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, New York, and others....yet the gun crime rate is the highest in these cities, and are much lower in the cities that allow concealed weapons to be carried by citizens.
Plus, you have Countries that ban on guns, and yet their gun crime rate is through the roof (Mexico for example).
Australia did a gun ban and while their gun crimes went down slightly, their overall crime rate jumped significantly. Home invasions went up 20%. Overall assault went up nearly 30%.
Therefore banning guns solved NOTHING.

What some of you are ultimately arguing for is disarming law-abiding citizens....which does NOT, and will NOT reduce crime.
The criminals will NOT obey the law, so they won't care that guns are made illegal.
By definition a criminal does NOT obey the law.
Nor will making guns completely illegal prevent even one murder.
Its a fact that more people are killed each year with a claw-hammer than are killed with a gun.....should we ban hammers too ?
Does the presence of a claw-hammer cause someone to commit murder ?

Not posting any views on anti or pro gun just want to state

Again, that "fact" about Claw-hammer murders and Gun murders is majorly incorrect.
Yes there are more homicides with Hammers and other blunt objects (around 400 in 2011) than with rifles (around 300 in 2011) but not all guns. All gun related fatalities are around 11,000 (around 30times more than all hammers and other blunt objects.)

But thank you for trying.

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#54TheBlueStigPosted 1/22/2013 3:17:49 PM
reverence27 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
So far every mass shooter has been on prescription drugs for long histories of mental health problems.

I would avoid saying Every, but yes very many (some numbers say 90%). But that doesn't explain how other countries that have the same prescription drugs but a much lower gun fatality rate.

England had over 40 Million SSRIs prescribed in 2011 in a population just over 50 Million, yet had almost 40 times less gun related deaths then US. While America only has around 120 Million SSRIs, prescribed and a population of over 300 million.

Of course you would avoid saying "every" because you can't handle the truth and don't want it out there for anybody else to figure out on their own. But the proof is already out there, and you already deliberately ignored it in the last topic....

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/65197041

Posts #144 and #145, lists all the shooters and the drugs they were prescribed and on for years, altering their perception of reality and their sense of right and wrong.

And other countries don't have this problem because they avoid putting their kids on drugs as young as TWO YEARS OLD like we do in the USA. People in other countries can handle being parents, people in the USA can't. American parents hand out trophies to kids that LOSE at sports and scholastic events, we've turned to awarding FAILURE instead of chastising it like everybody else on the planet. We shelter our kids in the USA, we show them very clearly that life is a huge situation of "do as I say, not as I do", but they see that hypocrisy and it changes them for the worse.

We don't even bother using logic to discipline our kids in school anymore, we just suspend them and make them be shunned by the rest of their classmates, this is happening as young as FOUR YEARS OLD....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/suspended-from-school-in-early-grades/2012/02/02/gIQA3H0X9Q_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/boy-6-suspended-from-silver-spring-school-for-pointing-finger-like-a-gun/2013/01/02/21acc8d4-54fc-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html

Thousands of kids suspended and expelled every year because their teachers are clueless, and that's just from one small region in Washington State, and it's happening all over the country.

And God forbid the issue of sex comes up, American parents go f***ing nuts where that's concerned, while other countries have full frontal nudity in a basic Orange Juice commercial on TV.

The rest of the world also doesn't have the hangups regarding alcohol that the USA does. In many European countries the drinking age is WAY lower than the USA, in some there is no minimum age, if you can reach the bar you can buy a beer.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#55TheBlueStigPosted 1/22/2013 3:25:27 PM
reverence27 posted...
All gun related fatalities are around 11,000

You're getting your numbers from gunpolicy?

No wonder you're so brainwashed, that site is run by the Brady Campaign, they pull numbers out of their ass on a regular basis, they've even made up countries that don't exist in their numbers, and refuse to include all FOUR countries in the UK totals, instead they list JUST the numbers for England.

What they refuse to tell you is that 60% to 65% of all deaths by guns every year in the USA are SUICIDES, people who would have just found another way to kill themselves had a gun not been around.

The Brady's have been making up numbers since Hinckley shot Reagan and Brady that day. A day or two later they had a full assault weapons ban drafted, but they were shot with a .22 revolver and that gun was NOT on the ban list. It would have been better for everybody if Brady had died that day, instead his sadistic wife parades him around like a puppet, he's damn near brain dead and has no clue what he's being used for.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#56reverence27Posted 1/22/2013 3:47:29 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
reverence27 posted...
All gun related fatalities are around 11,000

You're getting your numbers from gunpolicy?

No wonder you're so brainwashed, that site is run by the Brady Campaign, they pull numbers out of their ass on a regular basis, they've even made up countries that don't exist in their numbers, and refuse to include all FOUR countries in the UK totals, instead they list JUST the numbers for England.

What they refuse to tell you is that 60% to 65% of all deaths by guns every year in the USA are SUICIDES, people who would have just found another way to kill themselves had a gun not been around.

The Brady's have been making up numbers since Hinckley shot Reagan and Brady that day. A day or two later they had a full assault weapons ban drafted, but they were shot with a .22 revolver and that gun was NOT on the ban list. It would have been better for everybody if Brady had died that day, instead his sadistic wife parades him around like a puppet, he's damn near brain dead and has no clue what he's being used for.

Dude chill your going into your attack mode as always. I agreed with you and you are still hung up and being an a**. I just said we can't say every single one, but I do agree it is a major issue. Your anger really concerns me. Many of these shooting also occured because they felt everyone was against them and they had a mental breakdown an thought it was the only way people would finally take them seriously. You really need to seek some help before you do something dangerous.
---
#57reverence27Posted 1/22/2013 4:19:00 PM
http://mobile.rawstory.com/therawstory/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com#!/entry/50ff0ca6d7fc7b5670fe8467

Guns don't kill people, 4 year olds kill people.
---
#58shawnmckPosted 1/22/2013 4:43:22 PM(edited)
reverence27 posted...
http://mobile.rawstory.com/therawstory/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com#!/entry/50ff0ca6d7fc7b5670fe8467

Guns don't kill people, 4 year olds kill people.

^ That really doesn't prove anything, as bad things happen...

http://www.koinlocal6.com/mostpopular/story/Beaverton-Police-4-year-old-drowns-in-bathtub/7jeJ9ot7nki6vxJP4oByLg.cspx

and this...

http://www.newschannel34.com/news/local/story/4-Year-old-Girl-Killed-by-Car/4McJl0irK0m4jarrYX3Z_Q.cspx

and this...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/05/four-year-old-allegedly-stabbed-to-death-by-teen-cousin/

And there are literally THOUSANDS of similar such tragedies, where not one gun was used.
#59TheBlueStigPosted 1/22/2013 5:19:18 PM
reverence27 posted...
Dude chill your going into your attack mode as always. I just said we can't say every single one, but I do agree it is a major issue.

You're getting attacked because you've been posting every single gun control keyword and phrase that comes out of the Brady Campaign to ban ALL guns, you've also demanded "compromise", which really means capitulation coming from people like you.

Since you're using their information, you're getting the WRONG numbers and forming VERY faulty opinions about guns.

You never did answer the question.....since Compromise means BOTH parties give something up, what are YOU giving up?
---
Ben Franklin
#60IIICE_COLDPosted 1/22/2013 5:25:17 PM
NotCeo said: "Have games become too violent?"

I haven't seen any evidence (personally) that seemed to suggest for sure that violent video games do anything bad anyway, so from my perspective (which is stripped of stealth political connotations, etc.) is that there's PLENTY of things to do in a game besides (for example) kill people, like in shooters, etcetera --- and you can take games like Mario as a great example. Or at least Mario jumping on a mushrooms head isn't as violent as many of today's shooters, and in my opinion.

More and better platformers for all three next generational systems sounds like a great idea regardless of whether or not games today are 'too violent'.
---
XBL GT: IIICE KOLD (Formerly known as IIICE COLD)