This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have games become too violent?

#71mrhappyguy12345Posted 1/22/2013 6:21:13 PM
Luthor_ posted...
GorillaOnRoof posted...
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*

F***ing golden

I laughed pretty damn hard. He set it up so well...
---
What happened to happy, non-jaded gamers?
#72vigorm0rtisPosted 1/22/2013 6:56:09 PM
TheBlueStig posted...

So you consider a very PUBLIC plan by the UN released by them, talked about in PUBLIC meetings over and over throughout the years, is somehow a "conspiracy theory"?

Naive Much ? ? ?

No, I just know what it is and am not gullible to fall for youtube videos that say Reptoids run the White House or the Gnomes or Zurich have a stranglehold on international finance.

Go preach to your Act Australia cohorts.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#73reverence27Posted 1/23/2013 8:07:30 AM
shawnmck posted...
reverence27 posted...

And what countries have you gone to ?
Try going to Mexico, Africa, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Chile, Turkey, India, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Columbia, Haiti, and many others...most of which have complete ban on guns.....and then come back & tell us if you felt safe walking at night.
Canada, and some of the small European Nations don't count.
oh look, I went to Canada and I felt totally safe walking around at night time...
Whoopdee-F'n-Doo
That's like saying....
I walked around Beverly Hills at night, and I felt totally safe..

Of course any right wing conspirecy theory Fox News watching Ted Nuget loving Nut would use this argument. CANADA AUSTRALIA and EUROPEAN NATIONS DON'T COUNT??? How uneducated are you. These are the countries that are most similar to us with Government, Society, Industrialization, Culture and Stability. Their main difference from us, is they all have some forms of Gun Control and some forms of Universal Health. These are the main countries we should look at to compare.
So you rank the united states with the likes of Mexico, Africa, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Chile, Turkey, India, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Columbia, Haiti, most of which are underdeveloped nations, with unstable governments, in constant class warfare and revolution, and economies are based on being Drug and Violence havens. Here I thought we were one of the greatest developed nations, but the Fox News Right Wing extremist rather categorize us with these countries. I've been to Mexico, Canada, Japan and Germany. I have also lived in 10 different states in the US, most in the South.

The United States is one of the only Developed Nations that doesn't have some form of ban or strict gun regulations. Even Switzerland who allows all citizens to possess firearms only does so because Switzerland does not have a standing army, instead opting for a people's militia for its national defense. The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations, (which they have moved away from keeping firearms in the house, over the years); Switzerland thus has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world. See that key word that is also in our constitution....
I agree every american should have the right to gun ownership, it is a necessity of today for protection, but I think regulations need to be passed to require military type training so citizens are better capable mentally and physically to use proper skill and discipline when necessary.
If there was more discipline and training people would use more sense with education of children, and proper storage leaving firearms less easily accessible to children and mentally disturbed individuals.
If you are so hellbent on upholding the constitutional law, why is it you don't do your part as a proud american and serve this great country, instead of trying to downgrade it to the status of other underdeveloped nations to better push your agenda.

http://ivn.us/2012/07/25/gun-control-an-international-comparison/
http://www.guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

And Blue you are right, I looked into it and yes, My numbers were miss-stated.
For all gun related fatalities it should be around 31,000 including suicide and accidental.
Actual Gun related murders is around 8600. Total Murders by any means was 12600 meaning 2/3rds of all murders were with firearms.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#74NemerlightPosted 1/23/2013 8:19:01 AM
Where is the option for not enough. CoD would be more fun if people's heads flew off after headshot.
---
http://bitsandpieces.us/2011/03/25/a-well-written-police-report/
#75reverence27Posted 1/23/2013 8:21:14 AM
shawnmck posted...
reverence27 posted...

And what countries have you gone to ?
Try going to Mexico, Africa, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Chile, Turkey, India, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Columbia, Haiti, and many others...most of which have complete ban on guns.....and then come back & tell us if you felt safe walking at night.
Canada, and some of the small European Nations don't count.
oh look, I went to Canada and I felt totally safe walking around at night time...
Whoopdee-F'n-Doo
That's like saying....
I walked around Beverly Hills at night, and I felt totally safe..

How can anyone take you seriously when you Compare The United States to Countries where many citizens do not have Freedoms to argue your right to Freedoms.

Typical Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh Shooting of the Mouth.

And comparing Beverly Hills with Canada was ignorant because California has one of the Strictest Gun Control Laws in the US. (even though I'm not ignorant enough to think gun violence in california ls lower than anywhere else) Again, think and research before you talk. Get an education, travel and see the world outside your parents house. Experience the world, and meet a girl or guy to share your life with. This ME ME ME attitude is depressing.
---
God is a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser , a misogynistic, homophobic racist, an infanticidal, malevolent bully:Richard Dawkins
#76TheBlueStigPosted 1/23/2013 8:58:07 AM
reverence27 posted...
So you rank the united states with the likes of Mexico, Africa, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Chile, Turkey, India, Zimbabwe, Brazil, Columbia, Haiti, most of which are underdeveloped nations, with unstable governments, in constant class warfare and revolution, and economies are based on being Drug and Violence havens.

Unlike you, we compare all countries EQUALLY based on their laws, which is the whole f***ing point of the discussion, THE LAWS.

The United States is one of the only Developed Nations that doesn't have some form of ban or strict gun regulations.

And that should NEVER change just because other countries have done it and FAILED MISERABLY. Every country that's had guns and banned them watch their crime rates rise out of control. The UK now has more than 4 times the violent crime rate per capita than the USA. Australia is watching their rates go up as well.

Even Switzerland who allows all citizens to possess firearms only does so because Switzerland does not have a standing army, instead opting for a people's militia for its national defense. The vast majority of men between the ages of 20 and 30 are conscripted into the militia and undergo military training, including weapons training. The personal weapons of the militia are kept at home as part of the military obligations, (which they have moved away from keeping firearms in the house, over the years); Switzerland thus has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world. See that key word that is also in our constitution....

Under Federal Law, every able bodied person from 15 to 60 is automatically part of the Militia in the USA under "irregular member" status. That law has been on the books for more than 200 years.

You keep pushing for "military training", but fail to realize that most Americans know how to use their weapons better than the police and Feds that carry them daily.

Numerous very public shootouts have occurred at short ranges down to point blank range, and the cops MISSED EVERY SHOT.

And Blue you are right, I looked into it and yes, My numbers were miss-stated.
For all gun related fatalities it should be around 31,000 including suicide and accidental.
Actual Gun related murders is around 8600. Total Murders by any means was 12600 meaning 2/3rds of all murders were with firearms.

Check Vermont's numbers, they've maintained single digit numbers for more than 40 years in a row with the loosest gun laws in the country. No permit needed to carry concealed anywhere in the state. There's even been years with ZERO firearm homicides. States right next to Vermont with some of the strictest gun control in the country have far higher numbers, the stricter the laws, the higher the numbers.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#77reverence27Posted 1/23/2013 11:06:33 AM
TheBlueStig posted...

Under Federal Law, every able bodied person from 15 to 60 is automatically part of the Militia in the USA under "irregular member" status. That law has been on the books for more than 200 years..

Yes but there is no periodic mental examination, safety or discipline training or education required in most cases. When I was a teen we at least had PSA's on television, constantly that explained how guns can kill, and if you find one do not touch it but tell an adult. If we could at least bring that back maybe we could prevent a few accidental shootings.

And I agree with these points in whole, except trying to use countries that are underdeveloped drug havens, in constant turmoil or revolt to compare to the United States. Many of these countries have no form of stable government or law enforcement put in place effective enough to protect any of their citizens. When you discuss things civilly, it makes it much easier to take you serious. And I see the point in the states that have lower numbers, but these states also have lower populations, and less social economic problems which may link to a lot of the problems. These states such as Vermont, Alaska, and Montana, also have higher populations of Hunters which are raised and raise their children about proper gun use and discipline. States like Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisianna have lower populations and much higher crime rates per population.

Like I have said numerous times, Education is the most important solution to this problem, but how to we regulate this without some form of legislation requiring it, and more accountability for those who unknowingly allowed their guns to be used as weapons through ignorance.

Can you explain to me what is so wrong however with trying to push legislation that would help enforce existing laws and removing loopholes. Also do you disagree that if a person owns a gun, they should not be held accountable for improper storage in households with mentally disturbed individuals and children.

There were 55,544 non-fatal injuries in 2011 resulting from assaults involving guns up from 53,738 in 2010 and 44,466 in 2009. Since 2001, the rate of gun injuries is the second highest in 11 years when adjusted for population. There has also been 130 school shootings since Columbine, while Australia has had 0. I understand that gun control may not be the only factor, that is why they are not pushing for Gun ban legislation, but instead stronger enforcement of current regulation, and more studies of how to prevent this. I for one would worry more about my child being safe at school, then I do about someone stealing my wallet. Concerned Parents make up a majority of the voice for more gun regulation (right wing and left) but again, until you are old enough to have children, you may not really know the fear for your childs safety.
---
#78shawnmckPosted 1/23/2013 11:26:29 AM(edited)
^ You are a real hypocrite reverence...

You claim to want to save lives of children, but I bet you favor late term abortions, where women are aborting their unborn children at 6, 7, 8, or even 9-months.
That is murder, but people like you will excuse it.
What you want isn't to save lives, but to push an agenda....and as long as its your guys pushing the agenda (whatever it is), then you'll be in favor of it.

And the notion that because other Nations have gun bans as somehow evidence that the US needs to do the same thing is just IDIOTIC.
Germany & Australia ban violent video-games that depict blood & gore...should we adopt those laws too?
According to your logic, we should.

Evidence already proves that more people are killed with other things besides guns, but you want to ignore those facts.
Just like you want to ignore all the cases where a gun was used as a defensive measure to SAVE LIVES !
It happens every day, and actually happens more often than mass shootings do...but that gets totally ignored.

And you like to point to Countries that have gun bans and point tout how they have less gun crime than the US...but you completely ignore the fact that these very same Countries have just as high of an overall crime rate and murder rate....meaning that the lack of guns ISN'T preventing murder at all, as people are just being killed with knives, bats, hammers, cars, or other blunt/ sharp objects.

You are not only a hypocrite, but intellectually dishonest, because you refuse to acknowledge all forms of evidence but choose to only acknowledge the scant (& weak) evidence that conforms with what you want (agenda you are trying to push) ....while neglecting the evidence that contradicts you.
You are in a sense a propagandists just like most of the politicians and News agencies that cover only one side of an issue, but completely ignore (& even cover up) the other side.
It is dishonest and despicable.

You probably think you are doing the right thing....but you are having to be dishonest in the process, because you are blinded by ideology.
Wars have been started that way...Millions have died by doing the very same thing as you.
You should be ashamed, but instead you pat yourself on the back and have to pretend that you are doing the right thing.
But when you have to misrepresent facts and neglect evidence, then you are doing the opposite.
You are basically pushing for a form of tyranny, but excusing it by claiming that you are for "saving lives."
You are being used like a tool.
#79TheBlueStigPosted 1/23/2013 11:21:23 AM
reverence27 posted...
Education is the most important solution to this problem

What you ask for is actually illegal under half a dozen Federal Laws, and pointless as other "mandatory education items" have proven over the years.

Cars require education, license, and insurance, yet they kill more people than guns do every single year.

Doctors, a decade of education, mandatory licensing, and mandatory insurance, yet they kill 250,000 a year in the USA alone with their mistakes.

Education does NOT stop the deaths, and will never even slow them down because the vast majority of firearm homicides are criminal versus criminal, and as I see it, that's no loss, let them kill eachother off as much as possible.

If you really want to educate people, educate the criminals on better shooting technique to eliminate collateral damage, that way they only hit the target they're after. You engage in criminal activity, you pay the ultimate price, end of story.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#80reverence27Posted 1/23/2013 11:47:07 AM
shawnmck posted...
^ You are a real hypocrite reverence...

You claim to want to save lives of children, but I bet you favor late term abortions, where women are aborting their unborn children at 6, 7, 8, or even 9-months.
That is murder, but people like you will excuse it.
What you want isn't to save lives, but to push an agenda....and as long as its your guys pushing the agenda (whatever it is), then you'll be in favor of it.

And the notion that because other Nations have gun bans as somehow evidence that the US needs to do the same thing is just IDIOTIC.
Germany & Australia ban violent video-games that depict blood & gore...should we adopt those laws too?
According to your logic, we should.

Evidence already proves that more people are killed with other things besides guns, but you want to ignore those facts.
Just like you want to ignore all the cases where a gun was used as a defensive measure to SAVE LIVES !
It happens every day, and actually happens more often than mass shootings do...but that gets totally ignored.

And you like to point to Countries that have gun bans and point tout how they have less gun crime than the US...but you completely ignore the fact that these very same Countries have just as high of an overall crime rate and murder rate....meaning that the lack of guns ISN'T preventing murder at all, as people are just being killed with knives, bats, hammers, cars, or other blunt/ sharp objects.

You are not only a hypocrite, but intellectually dishonest, because you refuse to acknowledge all forms of evidence but choose to only acknowledge the scant (& weak) evidence that conforms with what you want (agenda you are trying to push) ....while neglecting the evidence that contradicts you.
You are in a sense a propagandists just like most of the politicians and News agencies that cover only one side of an issue, but completely ignore (& even cover up) the other side.
It is dishonest and despicable.

Again, you prove you get all your info from the Fox News Media

1. You assume wrong on my beliefs on abortion. Anything after the first trimester when brain development is possible should be considered a life. I am however not ignorant enough to think that birth control is a sin and should be abolished. I also do not support any anti-choice propaganda from the right, especially when they have been outed for hypocritically pushing abortion when it effected their own personal life or political career.

And again, you use your Fox Generated Facebook Memes of inaccurate data to try and make your argument.
Murder rates are not just as high as in America in the Countries I have talked about.
Germany 0.8/1000000 - United Kingdom 1.2/1000000 - Australia 1.2/100000 - Canada 1.8/100000 - Japan 0.5/100000
While America is 5/100000
That is almost triple from their closest on the List which was Canada, 4X that of australia and 5X Germany. That is a huge difference, and no where near just as high.

Please understand those images you share on facebook, they cherry pick numbers and info to spread misinformation virally to the uneducated masses of social media, most who never watch any form of news because they are too tied up on shows like Honey Boo Boo.

You are the large part of the problem, because instead of actually looking at both sides, you only look at your side, and follow along with the rest of the sheep in your friends list instead of reading up on the actual information and forming and actual opinion.

At least BlueStig knows what he is talking about and has shown factual evidence that he has based his opinion on, even if I disagree with it. There are always two sides, but with you there is only the side based on facebook shared fiction.
---