This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For anyone 21-25, are FPS games the worst thing to ever happen to the industry?

#1DarkECOJakPosted 1/22/2013 11:02:28 AM
Now hear me out before everyone starts freaking out that I'm blaspheming first-person shooters. BioShock is one of my favorite games of all time and Infinite is easily my most anticipated game this year. I enjoy shooters myself to a good extent, but this isn't really about whether or not we as individuals like them. It's about whether you think they are making the gaming industry better or worse. And not from a financial standpoint, but rather because their over-saturation in the market has essentially ruined the great experiences we grew up with. The reason I'm saying 21-25 isn't to just exclude anyone, but because most of what the younger generation knows is FPS games. It's what they started with.

... Okay, let me explain why I brought this up. I'm 25 years old and I work in electronics retail. I love it because I get to work around video games all day. But just yesterday something happened that really stuck with me. A 5 or 6 year old kid was asking me to explain why Halo wasn't bad to his mother so she'd be convinced to let him play. Of course I told him it's M rated and he's too young, easy as that. But it bothered me because the only reason this kid wanted Halo was because of it's popularity. Don't get me wrong, Halo is a great series, but I doubt this kid knew anything about it and just wanted it because of the title. I frequently see the same deal, young kids wanting Black Ops II or any of the other CoD games that are way beyond their age limit. More and more, aside from a few Pokemon and Skylanders titles, these are what kids are buying the most.

I guess it just bothers me that kids are missing out on how we experienced games growing up. Instead of going to a video store and looking for something that was going to spark our sense of adventure and exploration, now all that kids want is to murder each other online over and over. It's not even their fault either. It's what's thrown at them. What did we have growing up? Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Oddworld, Resident Evil before it went all "modern" and even the Sonic Adventure series was still great at its core. Games that had real thought and effort put into every detail, and not just making their guns sound more realistic. Graphics that captured us in the experience, music that evoked the perfect emotions for each level... they'll never be able to have that.

It may sound like I'm going all "old man" here, but give me a couple of drinks, a few good friends and a copy of Super Mario Kart and that's a night I'll remember the rest of my life. It may be part nostalgia, of course, but there's no denying that this genre has taken over.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#2GorillaOnRoofPosted 1/22/2013 11:04:56 AM
I'm gay. I don't know if that helps you any.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#3DarkECOJak(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 11:06:04 AM
GorillaOnRoof posted...
I'm gay. I don't know if that helps you any.

It does... It does. Thank you.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#4DyingPancakePosted 1/22/2013 11:08:15 AM
Another topic with the same tired complaints that disregards the vast selection of original games we have these days and ignores that every gen has had a dominant genre
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#5nickizgr8Posted 1/22/2013 11:09:49 AM
Because this is the first generation with FPS's.
#6GeistPosted 1/22/2013 11:09:54 AM
Pacman
Frogger
Super Mario
Legend of Zelda
Sonic
Doom
Tomb Raider

Do you need me to keep going or are you getting the idea that popularity always sells and one is a fool to judge a game for it either way?
---
It is my opinion that Halo is the best thing to hit gaming since the creation of games itself.
#7seankimberley42Posted 1/22/2013 11:10:14 AM
As a 35 year old, no. The market goes with what the people want. The people in North America want shooters. There are plenty of great games that aren't FPS games to play you just need to find them. Platformers? XBLA. JRPGs? Handheld systems. Fighting games? There's a lot of AAA games to choose from. Racing? Some of the best games are out there this gen, either arcade or sim. About the only genre that's in going downhill IMO is the horror genre, but it was always a niche market. And as you get older less things will frighten you., so maybe it isn't even going downhill, maybe the people who once liked them no longer get frightened by them. I mean, it's hard to like a horror game if the horror isn't there.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice
#8hyperius1Posted 1/22/2013 11:28:48 AM
I'm going to agree with you, TC. I can't help but feel like the sense of discovery is kind of gone. But I don't think that is because of the diminish of what sells, but comes from the fall of rentals. When I was a kid, renting games every weekend was the pinnacle of my childhood. You would find that sweet blurb on the back and be like, "F*** YEAH!" $60 is kind of a big investment to something that might suck, which, let's be honest, we found a lot of sucky games as kids. You kind of have to go by hype now... Unless your parents are rich.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
---
GT: Hyperius
#9codman4Posted 1/22/2013 11:34:57 AM
DyingPancake posted...
Another topic with the same tired complaints that disregards the vast selection of original games we have these days and ignores that every gen has had a dominant genre

You are correct. This is what happened when I grew up:

NES/SNES - Everyone wanted Mario and platformers
PC - Everyone wanted adventure games
Arcade - Everyone wanted racing games
PS1 - Everyone wanted jrpgs
N64 - Everyone wanted 3D games

So on and so forth. Next gen maybe puzzle games will be popular, who knows? It happens, like every other industry. Look at music? Different genres have their time in the sun.

At least this little kid might end up exposed to other great games due to Halo piquing his interest in gaming.
#10MRL3G3NDPosted 1/22/2013 11:54:28 AM
True gaming has been taken over by heartless businessmen...

Thats why I can't consider gaming as an art anymore...

Art means express yourself, create what you want to create...gaming used to be this.

Then theylet board members and invester dictate what they create now...thats not art, thats capitalism...they make the product that has the best chance of selling the most, and they sell it... Can't really complain when people buy the same thing over and over.

A lot of genres didn't make it to this gen for that very reason...I was waiting patiently for a mech assault game...no go, children would love to play that...what happened to my space shooters?
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q