This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For anyone 21-25, are FPS games the worst thing to ever happen to the industry?

#51NemerlightPosted 1/23/2013 1:42:34 AM
ITT: Counter Strike and Quake never existed.
---
http://bitsandpieces.us/2011/03/25/a-well-written-police-report/
#52CalistoCoonPosted 1/23/2013 2:07:17 AM
I think to think that in ten years people will think of this generation like we think of older ones, they will remember only the stand out games and they will talk about how much better those games where then the games we have now.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#53meathoven2Posted 1/23/2013 2:19:14 AM
No not at all, I work at an after school care and alot of the kids play great games suitable for their age bracket. Zelda four swords, skylanders, mario kart, sonic and sega racing, minecraft, and a bunch of other Nintendo series. Of course you get some of them asking about games like halo and skyrim which probably aren't appropriate for them but I was the same growing up. I remember being about 8 and me and my brother managed to rent clock tower for the ps1. Kids will and have always been intrigued by what they "shouldn't" have or be playing.
---
And yet your national sports are a weak, watered down babies first rugby and the mentally challenged stepson of cricket. - Hhhmmm
#54jorgestevensonPosted 1/23/2013 5:38:59 AM
The TC lives in a fantasy world -

Early 90s - Wolfenstein 3D and Doom
Mid 90s - Doom II, Quake
Late 90s - Quake II, Quake III, Goldeneye 64, Perfect Dark
Early 2000s - Counterstike, Half Life, Halo, Doom 3
Mid 2000s - Timesplitters, Halo 2, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 1942
Late 2000s - Modern Warfare, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Battlefield 2

FPSs have been INSANELY popular since they were invented. How many 21-25 year-olds remember all-night "sleepovers" at their friends' house playing 4 player split-screen deathmatches of Goldeneye 64? Who can forget playing Quake II on a LAN with all your buddies' computers? Who can forget passing along all the cheat codes for Doom and Doom II - God Mode and the all weapons cheats. Everybody knew that like the back of their hand.

It's the same today as it ever was, man.
#55pothocketPosted 1/23/2013 5:42:42 AM
Winternova posted...

In the mid-1970s, the plethora of pong clones didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the 1970s and early 1980s, the glut of SHMUPs didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the gaggle of platformers didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1990s, the appearance of newly polygonal games in place of 2D sprite games didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the infestation of JRPGs didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 2000s and early 2010s, the cornucopia of FPS games aren't ruining experiences or the industry.

This was clearly the darkest era of gaming. Zelda and Mario 64 made it look it easy but we ended up with an entire generation of ass ugly games that played like ass.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#56nightshadeAPosted 1/23/2013 8:19:59 PM
pothocket posted...
Winternova posted...

In the mid-1970s, the plethora of pong clones didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the 1970s and early 1980s, the glut of SHMUPs didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the gaggle of platformers didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1990s, the appearance of newly polygonal games in place of 2D sprite games didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the infestation of JRPGs didn't ruin experiences or the industry.
In the late 2000s and early 2010s, the cornucopia of FPS games aren't ruining experiences or the industry.

This was clearly the darkest era of gaming. Zelda and Mario 64 made it look it easy but we ended up with an entire generation of ass ugly games that played like ass.

90 percent of 32/64 bit gaming......ugly platforming collectathons gta was a breath of fresh air....
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free _New order "its easier and better to get forgiven than permission"
#57ShineboxerPosted 1/23/2013 8:22:38 PM
No
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#58TheFeshPincePosted 1/23/2013 8:39:18 PM
Shineboxer posted...
No

---
You wanna make me a sandwich?
#59chrcolPosted 1/24/2013 2:11:34 PM
not necessarily FPS but rather first person view exploration games I see as a virus in the gaming industry.

3rd person view are severely declining, racing games also in serious decline, space shooters? does one even exist for the 360? beat em ups? declining, jrpgs? massive decline on normal consoles.

Also I would say games that focus on multiplayer are a virus which of course ties in with most FPS, but not limited to FPS.

The pc has a similiar issue and thats with MMO's. blizzard eg. used to make excellent RTS games now its all WoW for them. and SC2 released primarily as a multiplayer game, the single player variant hasnt even been finished yet.
#60zerooo0Posted 1/24/2013 2:18:11 PM
I'm 18, been gaming since I was born, and I'll disagree with everything TC said. I'll even add that he's ignorant for thinking this statement.

inb4myopiniondoesn'tmatter.
---
CoD>Dog Turd>Gaming Community>GFAQS Community