This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#1levyjl1988Posted 1/22/2013 5:37:41 PM
How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming? - Results (202 votes)
I hate it. I refuse to buy a game because of it. It's total greed from publishers and it ruins the game.
25.25% (51 votes)
I dislike it. I'll still buy the game but won't use it.
46.53% (94 votes)
Indifferent
23.76% (48 votes)
I like it. I use it all the time so I can make the game easy for me on harder difficulties.
1.49% (3 votes)
I love it. I don't have time to grind and wate hours I want results now! I want hard difficulty to be easy difficulty.
2.97% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
As you might have heard Dead Space 3 now has micro-transactions.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/22/dead-space-3-includes-microtransactions-to-improve-weapons

It has been done before with games like Mass Effect 3, Sims 3, Diablo 3, and most likely it will happen with Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I want to know what your thoughts on micro-transactions are.

For me personally I hate it.
I prefer to buy games it the model that Bethesda currently has which is:

Retail Game like Skyrim
Expansion 1 - Dawnguard
Expansion 2 - Hearthfire
Expansion 3 - Dragonborn
Expansion 4 - ???

It makes it really easy to see what content you are missing and it integrates well with the retail game itself. Other games like Dragon Age 2 feel half-assed for the reason that they add armors and weapons and simply tack it on the game. Shouldn't it be integrated into the retail copy of the game anyways or make it part of an expansion?

With micro-transactions in games it feels like you are giving others the easy way out by paying your way through. Much discussion was concerning Diablo 3 and it's RAMH which lead to retaliation with fans and the bad feedback. Hardcore fans especially.

Micro-transactions also seem to delay pacing, you can grind for hours and hours and hours or you can pay $5 and get the resources to buy the increased/upgraded item.

It also ruins the sense of difficulty. With powerful weapons you are simply adjusting the difficulty to easy. i thought higher difficulties are suppose to be challenging.

Anyway what are your thoughts on micro-transactions? Do they belong in console games? Do you think the future of gaming will be ruined. Games having retail exclusive preorder bonuses, timed events in which you can get these items for a certain time and proved impossible to get later on, micro-transactions, etc.

Welcome to the age of capitalism.

I leave you with what EA thinks is the direction for gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE&list=FLpAVfPTgkH0QHod-w3-HDqQ&index=6
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#2randomweirdoPosted 1/22/2013 6:28:11 PM
I'd honestly not mind them so much if they didn't cause so many troubles. I can see the appeal, especially with gamers who have jobs and family and not as much time to game. A compromise may be good where it is available, but doesn't grant a free ride. For instance, only being available for single player modes, or you can't use it to earn certain achievements, only available with certain difficulties, etc. Things like that can create a balance still.

Or for instance if you have to keep fighting a certain monster to get a particular item to drop, being able to get an improved drop rate would be a fair compromise over just getting the item, or being able to unlock an item that grants that. That way you still have to earn it, but the time gets cut down.

The other issue that comes is in the absolute failure of the publishers who include this to support issues that occur with it. I'm definitely looking at your, EA. Let's say you buy something in the game and it doesn't unlock. You contact EA since the people who make the game support it, right? Instead they tell you to contact Microsoft, and then Microsoft tells you that EA supports it, then EA sends you back to Microsoft, etc. So what was meant to be a time saver instead becomes a huge waste of time as you try to get someone to actually help you get the item you bought.
#3RayzerTagPosted 1/22/2013 6:41:09 PM(edited)
People will say 'it's an option', but it's not as simple as that. Games with microtransactions will be balanced in such a way that players will be nudged towards microtransaction, which means that players who refuse will have to grind to get acces to the same stuff.

Think free2play games, where saving up items without spending real money takes ages. It won't be as bad, but still hindering.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#4Last VampirePosted 1/22/2013 6:43:58 PM
I was fine with it in ME3 where it wasn't in the single player and didn't really affect balance in the MP.

I don't want it in single player.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#5vigorm0rtisPosted 1/22/2013 6:44:39 PM
It's easily ignored, so... I don't care.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#6lokinineteenPosted 1/22/2013 6:52:30 PM(edited)
I wish to hear of some of these games where you have to grind for a long time to earn something which can be bought instantaneously?

I can maybe see it being a problem further down the road but as of yet.......?

Edit: And I mean grind like a crappy old rpg and not just having to play the game and earn it near the end of said game.
#7FTWWholeFnShowPosted 1/22/2013 7:04:14 PM
I dont mind BUT the cost of admittance needs to be below 60 bucks.

If i can get a game for 20 or 30 and i can buy OPTIONAL upgrades yes, money grabbing to money grab screw that
---
-\m/ ProWres Love \m/-XBL: Bennyhanna79
No, I'm the tag team champions!!!
#8darkharePosted 1/22/2013 7:36:24 PM
im fine with micro-transactions in free to play games like HappyWars, hell i even welcome them cause the devs need to get payed but im completly against them in full retail games and full priced arcade games. if micro-transactions are going to become a prodominent part of gaming like dlc then the price of games need to be lowered, and if this doesnt happen then i will simply stop playing console games.
---
young enough to still enjoy being a ass, old enough not to give a damn about how it makes you feel.
#9Halo_ForeverPosted 1/22/2013 11:10:47 PM
lokinineteen posted...
I wish to hear of some of these games where you have to grind for a long time to earn something which can be bought instantaneously?

I can maybe see it being a problem further down the road but as of yet.......?

Edit: And I mean grind like a crappy old rpg and not just having to play the game and earn it near the end of said game.

Just look around a bit, facebook games are definitely guilty of it.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#10abbeldydooPosted 1/22/2013 11:13:39 PM
There is no option for "i like it because i don't have to spend money and it helps give replay value"

I play ME3 still a lot,like every day and have not spent one dime.
---
Don't mod me bro!