This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#11SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 12:22:31 AM
Oh look, it's another biased gamefaqs poll. The only options for liking it are that you want the game to be easier, completely ignoring the basic premise that it's often swapping money for time. Not everyone has time to grind a game. Like in Forza Horizon, what do you care if someone else got a nice car in their SP campaign that they bought because they lack the time or interest to grind for it? The poll also ignores upsides like ME3 giving out free maps and characters, funded by the minority who choose to pay.

And then we see the freeloaders pile into the topic too. "I don't care how much value I get, if I hear any more content exists now or in the future I should get everything for half price otherwise they are greedy!"
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#12HughJorgennPosted 1/23/2013 1:03:45 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Oh look, it's another biased gamefaqs poll. The only options for liking it are that you want the game to be easier, completely ignoring the basic premise that it's often swapping money for time. Not everyone has time to grind a game. Like in Forza Horizon, what do you care if someone else got a nice car in their SP campaign that they bought because they lack the time or interest to grind for it? The poll also ignores upsides like ME3 giving out free maps and characters, funded by the minority who choose to pay.

And then we see the freeloaders pile into the topic too. "I don't care how much value I get, if I hear any more content exists now or in the future I should get everything for half price otherwise they are greedy!"

Well done. That money also goes to new game developement. As long as it isnt a "pay to win" situation I dont mind them at all because it isnt a mandatory purchase.
#13lokinineteenPosted 1/23/2013 4:16:51 AM(edited)
Halo_Forever posted...
lokinineteen posted...
I wish to hear of some of these games where you have to grind for a long time to earn something which can be bought instantaneously?

I can maybe see it being a problem further down the road but as of yet.......?

Edit: And I mean grind like a crappy old rpg and not just having to play the game and earn it near the end of said game.

Just look around a bit, facebook games are definitely guilty of it.

Im tarring this topic thr with other one about micro transactions in full retail priced games, not facebook or free to play phone/pc games.
#14memphis12Posted 1/23/2013 4:52:33 AM
Does it mean some achievements or parts of the game are none obtainable without purchasing certain things?

If not, then I don't mind.

I do feel this is the wrong direction for gaming. I've got money, but it's the principle. I'm paying 50 for a game, I want everything included in that 50. It's a shame EA has Bioware by the balls, as can't see them implementing this otherwise.

This is my opinion. I guess people don't HAVE to purchase in game content with real money. Let's just hope this isn't the start of the end.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#15Kevin_OSPosted 1/23/2013 6:08:24 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
It's easily ignored, so... I don't care.

Same here. I just don't care. Its a non-factor for me because I just ignore it. It doesn't even register with me most of the time.
#16KtuluheroIIPosted 1/23/2013 6:11:49 AM
In single player games it doesn't matter. In multiplayer games where it becomes pay to win, it's a problem.
---
http://i.imgur.com/47zOc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MsEGm.jpg
#17Eamon696Posted 1/23/2013 6:18:58 AM
I'm indifferent. As long as I can get the same in game items in a reasonable amount of time, I'm fine. For example Mass Effect 3.
#18656stoogePosted 1/23/2013 6:22:43 AM
The day I pay for cheat codes is.....well, never.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#19richisdisturbedPosted 1/23/2013 6:37:07 AM
It can be good if done in the right way. ME3s MP DLC has been free for everybody thanks to the micro transactions in that game, Ultimate Team in FIFA is another good example. Single player MTs though? I think that's the wrong way to do things, if a game is too hard for someone - that's what difficulties are for, you shouldn't charge to help them!

I voted indiferrent as while it can be a good thing (ME3, FIFA), it can also be a bad thing (Skylanders).
---
Gamertag - richisdisturbed
http://soundcloud.com/richisdisturbed
#20MachineZedPosted 1/23/2013 7:28:35 AM
lokinineteen posted...
I wish to hear of some of these games where you have to grind for a long time to earn something which can be bought instantaneously?

I can maybe see it being a problem further down the road but as of yet.......?

Edit: And I mean grind like a crappy old rpg and not just having to play the game and earn it near the end of said game.

You've got Forza 4, ME3 and Battlefield 3 to name a couple if them.