This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#31memphis12Posted 1/23/2013 8:24:24 AM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
memphis12 posted...
It might be me, I'm beyond tired. I'm trying to complete KOA & all achievs. The game is sooo long though!

Anyway, I guess I'm old school. I pay for something, I get the game. I know back in the day we had expansions, but they were exactly that, expansions.
I feel EA give us something already made for the game to purchase, usually something really good as well.
Example Dark Souls. Say the Drake Sword was there when they designed the game, but they took it out, or when you got the final hit on the dragons tail it said "you can now purchase Drake Sword for X amount"

To me, they arent giving us the "full game" more 90% then charging us more for the rest.

I feel my point has been lost somewhere in my babble. (I'm at work)

I don't mind as long as I don't "need" the extra content really.

By KOA I presume you mean Kingdoms of Amalur? That EA published game which included an online pass to unlock additional quests and items, and the game which you yourself just described as "sooo long".

I haven't played Dark Souls but I know people have put in a lot of time into it, often 80+ hours. Would one less sword make the game suddenly poor value? And that's assuming it's as you claim, rather than that the sword was always planned to be DLC and was budgeted accordingly with additional resources.

An online pass has nothing to do with this. All that meant was, you couldn't get the content if you bought second hand. I personally see nothing wrong with that.

No, one sword wouldn't make that much of a difference, but I'm pretty sure you see my point. They are making things for in game purchase that could (again, in my opinion) and should have been in the game.
Pretty soon, they'll spend more time making the purchasable items than in game items. It looks like a slippery slope, and us the gamer & customer have a right to worry a little if this does happen.

For the record, I've put about 100 hours into Dark Souls & have 1000/1000 GT: memphis122006 and I still stand by my point.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#32levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:40:08 AM
EA is voted the worst publisher of 2012:
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/c8hrrz/bonus-round-best-worst-publisher-of-2012

When games tack in micro-transactions it paints an overall image of the developer and the publishers.

Imagine if The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim had micro-transactions?
Imagine if Bethesda limited the materials in the game causing you to farm, and when you craft you can build the materials.

Imagine of Dark Souls had micro-transactions when trying to get materials?

Imagine if the new Tomb Raider had micro-transactions?

Imagine if every game had micro-transactions? How would you feel?

Would gamers like it? Even if it's an option?

Gamers don't want to navigate within a game they purchased for $60 (or higher if they bought the CE) and see a $ option. I hated playing Gears of War 3 and going into the menu and seeing $ for skins rather than unlocks. As a veteran gamer I'v seen skins that are free, they are called codes and cheats and somehow they turned codes and cheats into a business. A really annoying business that is trying to extort money from gamers in cheap methods. Rather than developers building expansions they take in little small add in features.

What's next for developers, gamers have to pay to get game updates now?

Already within the game we are being advertised to purchase content to accelerate the process. That seriously ruins the pacing of the game. It wasn't intended it was tacked on to make more money. Gamers want longer extended titles rather than short sweet experiences, so publishers take advantage of this by making this repetitive crap.

The problem next is that we might see this feature integrated into every single EA title.

No longer can gamers buy an everything product.

Then there's the case of digital content not lasting forever.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/171pe9/fyi_your_xbox_live_purchases_arent_permanent_it/

I miss the days of old where games had everything on it in a physical disc.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#33QuetzocoetlPosted 1/23/2013 8:55:14 AM
As long as it's implemented well, I don't care, and may even welcome it.
Cosmetic upgrades and shortcuts to things I can find in game? Fine.
Selling a bunch of game-altering upgrades and features I'm only okay with if the game itself is cheaper than usual, or if all that content is completely additional (I.E. offered up post-launch, sold as optional content created after the game is complete).

The only way I'd be against microtransactions is if the game had disc-locked content and features that could only be accessed through them, and even then I'd only really be upset if they were constantly thrown in my face and/or were features advertised to be included with my initial purchase.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl
#34SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 9:13:39 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
I hated playing Gears of War 3 and going into the menu and seeing $ for skins rather than unlocks. As a veteran gamer I'v seen skins that are free, they are called codes and cheats and somehow they turned codes and cheats into a business. A really annoying business that is trying to extort money from gamers in cheap methods. Rather than developers building expansions they take in little small add in features.

That's strange, because I played Gears of War 3 too. It had free skins to unlock, free cheats to unlock, and also had a huge quantity of content with a high level of polish. But it's gamefaqs, so I know some gamers like you just have to hate, hate, hate. Don't let the fact you can't come up with a single example to justify your opinion stop your soap box rants though.

Yaaay for the days of getting short games with very small amounts of content for the same price as today. But at least they were "complete" right? Whatever that even means.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#35abbeldydooPosted 1/23/2013 9:39:59 AM
memphis12 posted...
Banana_Mana posted...
memphis12 posted...
I've got money, but it's the principle. I'm paying 50 for a game, I want everything included in that 50.

This makes no sense.

You pay 50 and get everything included in the 50 package.
You then choose whether or not you want extras.

You don't pay 50 then watch in disbelief as the game self-deletes levels as you play.

You get what you paid for, which if you were a sensible consumer you would have researched.

Anyway... I get your point, and do agree with you... Your logical inaccuracy annoyed me though.

It might be me, I'm beyond tired. I'm trying to complete KOA & all achievs. The game is sooo long though!

Anyway, I guess I'm old school. I pay for something, I get the game. I know back in the day we had expansions, but they were exactly that, expansions.
I feel EA give us something already made for the game to purchase, usually something really good as well.
Example Dark Souls. Say the Drake Sword was there when they designed the game, but they took it out, or when you got the final hit on the dragons tail it said "you can now purchase Drake Sword for X amount"

To me, they arent giving us the "full game" more 90% then charging us more for the rest.

But there are games that are doing it right and its working well for both the players and publisher.Mass Effect 3 and what looks like Dead Space 3 now both give you the ability to earn everything without having to pay,i also play Fifa Ultimate Team and never pay a dime.
---
Don't mod me bro!
#36secondhand1Posted 1/23/2013 9:50:16 AM
levyjl1988 posted...

I miss the old days when kids would think before they speak.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#37BJW1980Posted 1/23/2013 9:55:30 AM
It's manipulative and is only going to get worse.
---
Complacent or Discriminating. What kind of gamer are you?
#38master_gamr1231Posted 1/23/2013 9:58:03 AM
The biggest problem with microtransactions is that they try to funnel people into indulging in them by making the game frustrating and time-consuming without them. It really began in those little facebook games, where you could either wait 6 hours to do something or pay two bucks to do it now. It's just like they've announced for Dead Space 3: you can either scavenge for the stuff you need for upgrades for a while or pay to get them now. Do you really think things would be so time consuming if a microtransaction wasn't available?
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#39abbeldydooPosted 1/23/2013 10:02:49 AM
master_gamr1231 posted...
The biggest problem with microtransactions is that they try to funnel people into indulging in them by making the game frustrating and time-consuming without them. It really began in those little facebook games, where you could either wait 6 hours to do something or pay two bucks to do it now. It's just like they've announced for Dead Space 3: you can either scavenge for the stuff you need for upgrades for a while or pay to get them now. Do you really think things would be so time consuming if a microtransaction wasn't available?

Time consuming could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.Lets say in Mass Effect 3 you get the items fast,then you would be done and move on.I find that having to take time to earn these things is a good thing because i am a big fan of replay value.I can not afford to just buy games left and right and i have no way to rent them so for me th etime consumption gives me reason to play games over and over.

I guess its subjective.
---
Don't mod me bro!
#40darkharePosted 1/23/2013 10:04:35 AM
abbeldydoo posted...
master_gamr1231 posted...

Time consuming could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.Lets say in Mass Effect 3 you get the items fast,then you would be done and move on.I find that having to take time to earn these things is a good thing because i am a big fan of replay value.I can not afford to just buy games left and right and i have no way to rent them so for me th etime consumption gives me reason to play games over and over.

I guess its subjective.

grinding for items does not give game replay value.
---
with my drum, i can see