This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#41SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 10:05:33 AM
darkhare posted...
abbeldydoo posted...
Time consuming could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.Lets say in Mass Effect 3 you get the items fast,then you would be done and move on.I find that having to take time to earn these things is a good thing because i am a big fan of replay value.I can not afford to just buy games left and right and i have no way to rent them so for me th etime consumption gives me reason to play games over and over.

I guess its subjective.

grinding for items does not give game replay value.

"Hello", says all RPG games.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#42abbeldydooPosted 1/23/2013 10:06:55 AM
darkhare posted...
abbeldydoo posted...
master_gamr1231 posted...
The biggest problem with microtransactions is that they try to funnel people into indulging in them by making the game frustrating and time-consuming without them. It really began in those little facebook games, where you could either wait 6 hours to do something or pay two bucks to do it now. It's just like they've announced for Dead Space 3: you can either scavenge for the stuff you need for upgrades for a while or pay to get them now. Do you really think things would be so time consuming if a microtransaction wasn't available?

Time consuming could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask.Lets say in Mass Effect 3 you get the items fast,then you would be done and move on.I find that having to take time to earn these things is a good thing because i am a big fan of replay value.I can not afford to just buy games left and right and i have no way to rent them so for me th etime consumption gives me reason to play games over and over.

I guess its subjective.

grinding for items does not give game replay value.

that's subjective,there have been MMORPGs built around this concept.
---
Don't mod me bro!
#43TheBlueStigPosted 1/23/2013 10:28:48 AM
The car tokens in Forza 4 have completely ruined the auction house, they allowed people to buy the most expensive cars in the game for nothing and make huge amounts of money from them by selling at full price in the auction house. They now control the pricing in the auction house with that money. Try to buy any Ferrari or other expensive car needed for the 2 car buying achievements and say goodbye to your money, you'll be outbid to just under the full retail price of the cars if the car has no custom paintjob. If it has a custom paint, you'll be paying up to 3 times more than retail for it.

Those car tokens have devalued the in-game currency to ridiculous extents.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#44Emerald_WyvernPosted 1/23/2013 10:52:20 AM
For vanity purposes, it's fine. Tkae WoW for example. The Blizzard Store is vast and yet the items there are just pets and mounts. Stuff that won't impact gameplay in any way. That's fine, all other micro transactions are horrible otherwise.
---
"Hey I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan.. as a drying pan!" - Brock
#45memphis12Posted 1/23/2013 11:05:32 AM
Emerald_Wyvern posted...
For vanity purposes, it's fine. Tkae WoW for example. The Blizzard Store is vast and yet the items there are just pets and mounts. Stuff that won't impact gameplay in any way. That's fine, all other micro transactions are horrible otherwise.

Agreed, I wouldn't mind that.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#46_OujiDoza_Posted 1/23/2013 11:14:46 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Yaaay for the days of getting short games with very small amounts of content for the same price as today. But at least they were "complete" right? Whatever that even means.

C'mon Sheep, I know you champion the captalist cause like the best of them, but let's not be soo over the top about this, if you were born around the time of nintendo, genesis and the like you know damn well what a game being complete means - it was a different time and different type of gaming, and to just brush it aside is silly.

You of all people should know better, man.

Thing is even if I haven't agreed with you about how the industry does business, I at least understood the info you presented...don't try so hard to reach to prove your point, it's counter-productive.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#47PsychoDrama1Posted 1/23/2013 11:17:20 AM
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#48SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 11:27:29 AM
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.

Why is it that when positive examples of microtransactions are presented, they are met with silence by the haters?

Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

You know how much I care about how you play your SP campaigns? Zero, absolutely zero. Play them one handed if you like. Have your family member beat harder difficulties for you if you want. Play them on casual. Take five years to beat the game or rush it one sitting. I don't care. It makes zero difference to me. So why do people like you care so much?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#49AsucaHayashiPosted 1/23/2013 11:36:34 AM
does D3 even count?

you're basically paying another player to get said items which exists in pretty much every other online game with item trading... the only thing blizz did was to provide an official way to do so in order to prevent scamming or account hijacking from 3rd party sites.

i consider microtransactions as paying the actual developer through the in-game store for benefits or unavailable items through conventional play in any given game.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#50staticxtreme5Posted 1/23/2013 11:39:20 AM
Where is the IDGAF option? I'd choose that one.