This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#51TheRobPosted 1/23/2013 12:44:11 PM
I honesty don't care about this sort of thing.

But it annoys me that they put stuff like this in (i.e. microtransactions, ,online passes, in-game advertisements, on-disc DLC, pre-release DLC, etc.) and still charge full price for their games.

It'd be nice if they cut the price of the game and just made up the rest of the money with the rest of their crap money grab tactics, but it'll never happen unfortunately.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#52memphis12Posted 1/23/2013 12:46:10 PM
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.

Why is it that when positive examples of microtransactions are presented, they are met with silence by the haters?

Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

You know how much I care about how you play your SP campaigns? Zero, absolutely zero. Play them one handed if you like. Have your family member beat harder difficulties for you if you want. Play them on casual. Take five years to beat the game or rush it one sitting. I don't care. It makes zero difference to me. So why do people like you care so much?

Maybe these gamers need to be more selective in their game choice. If you're a Father who happens to be a "casual" gamer, get a game that caters for your needs.
I think why microtransactions is bothering some gamers is because they are effecting gaming franchise they love and have supported the devs with their hard earned money. Then they release a 3rd game and make you pay more for things you got auto in the first two games.

Like I've said before, it's the principle. It's that simple.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#53_OujiDoza_Posted 1/23/2013 12:51:58 PM
Sheepinator posted...

Yet you seem to care quite a bit, why is that? And I'm not even being funny, I'm dead serious. If you honestly feel we as consumers are so crazy and greedy, etc. but your screaming at the top of your lungs clearly isn't getting through, why do you continue the crusade?
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#54SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 1:00:51 PM
memphis12 posted...
Maybe these gamers need to be more selective in their game choice. If you're a Father who happens to be a "casual" gamer, get a game that caters for your needs.

OMG that's priceless. And totally ridiculous. And elitist. All so that you don't see an item in the marketplace that you don't want/need anyway. Because the world revolves around you.

Then they release a 3rd game and make you pay more for things you got auto in the first two games.

Who's making anyone do anything? Can you back up that statement? And if DS3 is truly twice as long as the previous games how about if they chop it into two games, call the second half DS4, and release it later this year for $60. That would be fine, yes, since you're only used to paying for a campaign the size of DS1 or DS2 anyway.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#55levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:40:39 PM
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.

He is also an advid defender of preorder bonuses as well from the replies on my thread. He doesn't root for the consumer apparently. Not saying the consumer is always right. But consumers can smell BS from a mile away with certain business tactics.

A lot of companies make it really hard for consumers to like their products, instead of keeping it simple they exaggerated products to the point where it becomes confusing, annoying, and destructive to the companies image. Preordering a game is a hassle, they don't know where to preorder, it's a headache especially when all the packs are different and in a way change the game. And what for the completionist, they can't buy the entirety of the product, if they want to purchase those extras it becomes a hinderance of inconvenience that they have to shop at an external place. It's not a one shop stop place. It's a go here, over there, do this, do that if you want everything.

As a consumer I'm getting pissed at these methods created by businesses. and it's really hard to force effort towards consumers buying a product. There's too many steps required just to enjoy a product and options to buy it.

Simplicity is the key for consumers and people appreciate the effort by companies if it's well thought out.

Consumers are smart and they can smell extortion.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#56SheepinatorPosted 1/23/2013 10:44:10 PM
levyjl1988 posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

He is also an advid defender of preorder bonuses as well from the replies on my thread. He doesn't root for the consumer apparently. Not saying the consumer is always right. But consumers can smell BS from a mile away with certain business tactics.

On the contrary, I am pro choice for this stuff. You can choose what bonus you want. Btw, make sure you know what "bonus" means. You can choose to swap your money for your time, if you are limited in the latter. You can choose to buy DLC one at a time or with a Season Pass for a discount. You can choose which DLC you want and ignore the rest. You can choose to enjoy free DLC courtesy of others expressing their own choices and in the process funding it for you.

Choices are good. Some of you guys are anti choice, which is anti consumer, and you try to hide that by suggesting devs should give all of this stuff away for free, which is a terribly naive world view. And as usual, the people complaining about "BS" or "anti gamer practices" never once comment on the value of what they are getting for their money. Never. Because it's usually good value, but they're not looking at what they get, only what they think they're not getting.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#57levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:16:43 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

On the contrary, I am pro choice for this stuff. You can choose what bonus you want. Btw, make sure you know what "bonus" means. You can choose to swap your money for your time, if you are limited in the latter. You can choose to buy DLC one at a time or with a Season Pass for a discount. You can choose which DLC you want and ignore the rest. You can choose to enjoy free DLC courtesy of others expressing their own choices and in the process funding it for you.

Choices are good. Some of you guys are anti choice, which is anti consumer, and you try to hide that by suggesting devs should give all of this stuff away for free, which is a terribly naive world view. And as usual, the people complaining about "BS" or "anti gamer practices" never once comment on the value of what they are getting for their money. Never. Because it's usually good value, but they're not looking at what they get, only what they think they're not getting.

Consumers don't like making choices on where to purchase their games, they just want to have the game. Consumers enjoy making decisions within the game, because after they play the initial play through they can swap choices. However selecting which retailer to order from nullifies you from selecting a choice. And I wouldn't say it's a bonus, a preorder bonus is an inclination to get gamers to buy day 1. The problem with initating gamers to buy day 1 through a preorder bonus is detrimental. Look at people who supported Batman Arkham City. In place there were multiple Batman skins. Fans were pissed because they couldn't be available from the start. Visual appearance or resound can also empower the player to go through the game a second time, once as regular batman, second as classic batman, it makes a difference to some. Since the skins weren't available a lot of gamers lost that initial interest until the DLC was announced. In the end first time buyers felt shafted. It was until Goty was released that it felt like a complete package. First time supporters are the guinea pigs. On a consumer perspective it is detrimenting to be an advid supporter from the beginning.

You don't seem to understand as you have a narrow view on things.
If you think this practice is fair the. This should be applied to all things, hey let's see it in books. Perhaps authors should remove certain quotes from their books and make it exclusive to retailers. How about going going futher and remove chapters and make it exclusive.

The fact remains that consumers don't like choice on where to purchase. They want to have all those choices in game.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#58memphis12Posted 1/24/2013 6:20:54 AM
Sheepinator, are you John Riccitiello in disguise?
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#59DyingPancakePosted 1/24/2013 6:38:32 AM
memphis12 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

Why is it that when positive examples of microtransactions are presented, they are met with silence by the haters?

Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

You know how much I care about how you play your SP campaigns? Zero, absolutely zero. Play them one handed if you like. Have your family member beat harder difficulties for you if you want. Play them on casual. Take five years to beat the game or rush it one sitting. I don't care. It makes zero difference to me. So why do people like you care so much?

Really?

So people shouldn't be allowed to play what they want because you think an option in a game shouldn't be made available? And the father in that example is playing a golf game. How much more "casual" can you get?

The users on this board are a freaking joke.
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#60memphis12Posted 1/24/2013 6:44:22 AM
DyingPancake posted...
memphis12 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

Really?

So people shouldn't be allowed to play what they want because you think an option in a game shouldn't be made available? And the father in that example is playing a golf game. How much more "casual" can you get?

The users on this board are a freaking joke.

So, what you're saying is, if this father "casual" gamer wants to play a "difficult" game, he just needs to buy his way through it? Why can't he have a FREE option to unlock the item he needs? Why should he have to pay more???

So in your own words "because you think an option shouldn't be made available" .. I DO think that option should be available, but not at a price!

You're argument is juvenile at best.
---