This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#61DyingPancakePosted 1/24/2013 5:47:42 AM
memphis12 posted...
DyingPancake posted...
memphis12 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.

Why is it that when positive examples of microtransactions are presented, they are met with silence by the haters?

Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

You know how much I care about how you play your SP campaigns? Zero, absolutely zero. Play them one handed if you like. Have your family member beat harder difficulties for you if you want. Play them on casual. Take five years to beat the game or rush it one sitting. I don't care. It makes zero difference to me. So why do people like you care so much?

Maybe these gamers need to be more selective in their game choice. If you're a Father who happens to be a "casual" gamer, get a game that caters for your needs.

Really?

So people shouldn't be allowed to play what they want because you think an option in a game shouldn't be made available? And the father in that example is playing a golf game. How much more "casual" can you get?

The users on this board are a freaking joke.

So, what you're saying is, if this father "casual" gamer wants to play a "difficult" game, he just needs to buy his way through it? Why can't he have a FREE option to unlock the item he needs? Why should he have to pay more???

So in your own words "because you think an option shouldn't be made available" .. I DO think that option should be available, but not at a price!

You're argument is juvenile at best.

Why would it be made free? That kinda defeats the whole purpose of this topic.

Not surprised the point went way over your head
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#62levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 5:49:28 AM
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...
Whoa Sheepinator is a crazy corporate defender troll. You really can't see any reason why this would annoy gamers and everyone is a hater who doesn't agree with you? It may not be as bad as people are saying, but get some perspective...geez.

Why is it that when positive examples of microtransactions are presented, they are met with silence by the haters?

Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

You know how much I care about how you play your SP campaigns? Zero, absolutely zero. Play them one handed if you like. Have your family member beat harder difficulties for you if you want. Play them on casual. Take five years to beat the game or rush it one sitting. I don't care. It makes zero difference to me. So why do people like you care so much?

Microtransactions were never a positive thing for the consumer. It was and always will be positive for publisher. This type of thing was never positiver ever for the consumer. Hence the consumer hate. Why speed up the process of a game for something that a consumer payed full price for? In the games of old if you wanted to be more powerful in the game you wouldn't have to pay extra for the beef up in power, it was called cheat codes.
Micro-transactions are a way of extorting money from consumers wallets to the point that it's damn obvious.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#63DyingPancakePosted 1/24/2013 5:51:35 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

Microtransactions were never a positive thing for the consumer. It was and always will be positive for publisher. This type of thing was never positiver ever for the consumer. Hence the consumer hate. Why speed up the process of a game for something that a consumer payed full price for? In the games of old if you wanted to be more powerful in the game you wouldn't have to pay extra for the beef up in power, it was called cheat codes.
Micro-transactions are a way of extorting money from consumers wallets to the point that it's damn obvious.

Cheat codes still exist today and most of these micro-transactions are not giving you god-like powers.

You can build you character the exact same way through normal play
---
#64levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 5:55:08 AM
DyingPancake posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

Cheat codes still exist today and most of these micro-transactions are not giving you god-like powers.

Cheat codes don't exist with games that have microtransactions.

Also say that to the people playing Diablo 3 on harder difficulties, it seems that they are hating on the game because at some point it does require you to use the RMAH. Go on go on to the forums, understand the hate that's going on. See it from both perspectives. Sure you can play the game normally, but at some point you'll have to cough up more once your invested.

It's like EA is the new Zynga.
---
#65pothocketPosted 1/24/2013 5:56:29 AM
TC, you forgot a key option

"It's ok if it gets rid of on-line passes"
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#66memphis12Posted 1/24/2013 5:56:42 AM
@ DyingPankake

If someone needs this unlock-able, but they don't have as much time because of family. Maybe a compromise.

He can unlock the golf club he really wants, but by doing so, it doesn't count towards an achievement.

The point is; Why should anyone be paying for anything in a game? Easy, Hard, Faster, Slower. I personally believe this is exploiting certain gamers.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#67AkaimizuPosted 1/24/2013 6:09:12 AM(edited)
Well, to be fair, the RMAH in Diablo 3 wasn't getting as much backlash about the idea of microtransactions as it was in how it forced even the single-player game to be online. This means, that even when playing alone, you entire game's performance relied on a good and steady connection to the servers. Not to mention, dependency on the servers being rock solid 24/7. Having to deal with horrible lag or even disconnections just trying to play solo was the main drag there. RMAH facilitated that forced setup from Blizzard, and that was the main cause of the backlash. Nothing represented it more than the classic Error 37 that it launched with, from all the millions of players wanting to jump in and play the story.

That was the major blow for a number of people. The technical nightmare right there. Having people who bought and installed the game, ready to play, and have to wait a couple of days to actually play any of it.

Imagine if something like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest had a setup like that forced upon single-player.

"Hey, did you get past Terraville in FFXVI?"

"Nah. I would've had to do it a couple of days ago, but everytime I get on, the server's down. Would've gotten there earlier but I kept getting killed by this one boss because I'd get lagged through turns in the Active Time Battle."

"Yeah. That sucks."

(Word to the wise. If the presence of Microtransactions causes you to force your Single-player experience (unless it is soloing in an Online RPG) to run its entire gameplay from the server, you may want to rethink that notion. Especially if your series' main distinction is the idea it is an offline game with optional online-play.)

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#68DyingPancakePosted 1/24/2013 6:07:17 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
DyingPancake posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
PsychoDrama1 posted...

Cheat codes don't exist with games that have microtransactions.

Also say that to the people playing Diablo 3 on harder difficulties, it seems that they are hating on the game because at some point it does require you to use the RMAH. Go on go on to the forums, understand the hate that's going on. See it from both perspectives. Sure you can play the game normally, but at some point you'll have to cough up more once your invested.

It's like EA is the new Zynga.

Of course games exist that have cheat codes and microtransactions. Where are you getting this from

Have no idea about Diablo 3 so I can't comment on whatever is in that game
---
#69levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:20:15 AM
Looking at the majority on the poll, a lot of gamers hate the idea of micro-transactions, go figure.

It's really a slap in the face for gamers. I check the bioware forums, seems like all the hate exists there, especially with the talk of Dragon Age 3: Inquisition to have micro-transactions.

Crystal Dynamics seem fine. tomb Raider won't have micro-transactions.
CDProjekt and Rockstar are against it. They value the consumer.
---
#70SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 6:20:23 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...

I present examples including getting free map packs which in other games would cost $10-$15 each, and still you claim there is "never" any positive. Lots of people playing ME3 would disagree, and have said so here on these boards. I'm getting free maps, how is that bad for me? Please explain.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.