This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#71levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:22:17 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

Microtransactions were never a positive thing for the consumer. It was and always will be positive for publisher. This type of thing was never positiver ever for the consumer. Hence the consumer hate. Why speed up the process of a game for something that a consumer payed full price for? In the games of old if you wanted to be more powerful in the game you wouldn't have to pay extra for the beef up in power, it was called cheat codes.
Micro-transactions are a way of extorting money from consumers wallets to the point that it's damn obvious.

I present examples including getting free map packs which in other games would cost $10-$15 each, and still you claim there is "never" any positive. Lots of people playing ME3 would disagree, and have said so here on these boards. I'm getting free maps, how is that bad for me? Please explain.

Mass Effect 3, with grind to buy single mission use upgrades - or pay M$ points. And they're random deliveries, like trading cards you can't trade!
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#72SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 6:23:36 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Looking at the majority on the poll, a lot of gamers hate the idea of micro-transactions, go figure.

LOL. I wondered when you'd bring that up.

Poll options in a nutshell:

A. "I hate microtransactions, they suck."
B. "I love microtransactions because I'm a crappy gamer, I'm such a casual, and I suck."

Gee, more people chose A than B? Who'd have thought it? Didn't see that coming a mile away.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#73DyingPancakePosted 1/24/2013 6:26:30 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Looking at the majority on the poll, a lot of gamers hate the idea of micro-transactions, go figure.

Lets be honest though. People this gen will complain at just about every single thing they can think of

There are still topics being made about people crying over how the new Dante looks in DmC

There are people who complain about companies realeasing free dlc saying that it should have been included on the day of its realease

People are going on a "protest" to not buy Metal Gear Rising because it's not like Metal Gear Solid

I could go on and on
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#74SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 6:26:31 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Choices are good. Some of you guys are anti choice, which is anti consumer, and you try to hide that by suggesting devs should give all of this stuff away for free, which is a terribly naive world view. And as usual, the people complaining about "BS" or "anti gamer practices" never once comment on the value of what they are getting for their money. Never. Because it's usually good value, but they're not looking at what they get, only what they think they're not getting.

Consumers don't like making choices on where to purchase their games, they just want to have the game. Consumers enjoy making decisions within the game, because after they play the initial play through they can swap choices. However selecting which retailer to order from nullifies you from selecting a choice. And I wouldn't say it's a bonus, a preorder bonus is an inclination to get gamers to buy day 1. The problem with initating gamers to buy day 1 through a preorder bonus is detrimental. Look at people who supported Batman Arkham City. In place there were multiple Batman skins. Fans were pissed because they couldn't be available from the start. Visual appearance or resound can also empower the player to go through the game a second time, once as regular batman, second as classic batman, it makes a difference to some. Since the skins weren't available a lot of gamers lost that initial interest until the DLC was announced. In the end first time buyers felt shafted. It was until Goty was released that it felt like a complete package. First time supporters are the guinea pigs. On a consumer perspective it is detrimenting to be an advid supporter from the beginning.

You don't seem to understand as you have a narrow view on things.
If you think this practice is fair the. This should be applied to all things, hey let's see it in books. Perhaps authors should remove certain quotes from their books and make it exclusive to retailers. How about going going futher and remove chapters and make it exclusive.

The fact remains that consumers don't like choice on where to purchase. They want to have all those choices in game.

Classic entitlement talking. Not once did you comment on the amazing value in Arkham City before a single bonus is considered in the equation. Not once. It's like a child surrounded by Xmas presents and is whining because he sees a box over there and he's all, "Want! Gimme! Mine!" And an optional additional skin is equivalent to the removal of a book chapter, really? Really?
---
#75GeistPosted 1/24/2013 6:28:31 AM
This topic reminded me to buy the weapon packs for ME3. Just wanted to say thanks. Having so much fun with my instant death pistol!!
---
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3
#76pothocketPosted 1/24/2013 6:29:48 AM
Geist posted...
This topic reminded me to buy the weapon packs for ME3. Just wanted to say thanks. Having so much fun with my instant death pistol!!

Good luck spending a random amount of money trying to get what you want.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#77levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:41:36 AM
DyingPancake posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

Lets be honest though. People this gen will complain at just about every single thing they can think of

There are still topics being made about people crying over how the new Dante looks in DmC

There are people who complain about companies realeasing free dlc saying that it should have been included on the day of its realease

People are going on a "protest" to not buy Metal Gear Rising because it's not like Metal Gear Solid

I could go on and on

It is a complaint. Games shouldn't include micro-transactions especially when other games never really needed them.

Halo 4 didn't have micro-transactions, it didn't even have an online pass.

If micro-transactions in gaming are such a great thing. Then you go enjoy them. Others and myself will continue to protest against them.

Because later on if this trend continues who knows to what extent will everything will be micro-transactions. It's inly a matter of time until everything collapses on itself and gamers wake up to what is happening to their beloved franchises and what it has become.

Only when the extreme has happened people will begin to realize.
---
#78GeistPosted 1/24/2013 6:45:33 AM
pothocket posted...
Geist posted...

Good luck spending a random amount of money trying to get what you want.

So kind of like when you buy any game, movie, candy bar, cd, so on and so on....
---
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3
#79SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 6:48:27 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Halo 4 didn't have micro-transactions, it didn't even have an online pass.

Wrong. Halo 4 requires Live Gold to play Spartan Ops which is included on the disc, even if you want to solo it offline. And who sells Live? And how expensive is Live compared to a micro-transaction?
---
#80levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:51:22 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Like the casual gamer father who plays a little Tiger Woods and just wants the unlocks now.

Or the ME3 player who has less free time than his buddy so he buys a couple of packs with money that's unimportant to him so he can keep up.

Or the ME3 players getting map packs for free that would cost $10-$15 each for any other game.

Or the Dead Space 3 devs saying the game is twice as long as previous DS's but that's ignored in favor of topic after topic full of hate because someone they don't know might play their SP campaign with a weapon upgrade they paid for instead of finding it in the world.

Microtransactions were never a positive thing for the consumer. It was and always will be positive for publisher. This type of thing was never positiver ever for the consumer. Hence the consumer hate. Why speed up the process of a game for something that a consumer payed full price for? In the games of old if you wanted to be more powerful in the game you wouldn't have to pay extra for the beef up in power, it was called cheat codes.
Micro-transactions are a way of extorting money from consumers wallets to the point that it's damn obvious.

I present examples including getting free map packs which in other games would cost $10-$15 each, and still you claim there is "never" any positive. Lots of people playing ME3 would disagree, and have said so here on these boards. I'm getting free maps, how is that bad for me? Please explain.

As for the map packs they want you to continue using their payed system. Adding more weapons and characters, but they are locked. If map packs are free why can't campaign missions in single player be free too? It's no value to EA unless it is beneficial to them in extracting more money. Think of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer as a slot machine. Paying MS points gives you a chance of winning an item, but you have no guarantee. It's playing on gamers addictive behaviour. Also the requirements in obtaining the unlocks are slowed down on purpose that it requires more grinding than it should. In a sense delayed gratification.
---