This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#81SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 7:54:15 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
If map packs are free why can't campaign missions in single player be free too?

Entitlement. Gamers these days... wow. I look forward to the day you leave the security of your parents wing and maybe even get a job, then wonder why people think whatever service you provide should be free and hate you if you don't give it for free.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#82AkaimizuPosted 1/24/2013 7:55:13 AM(edited)
levyjl1988 posted...
Looking at the majority on the poll, a lot of gamers hate the idea of micro-transactions, go figure.

It's really a slap in the face for gamers. I check the bioware forums, seems like all the hate exists there, especially with the talk of Dragon Age 3: Inquisition to have micro-transactions.

Crystal Dynamics seem fine. tomb Raider won't have micro-transactions.
CDProjekt and Rockstar are against it. They value the consumer.

Depends on what they are selling as the Microtransaction. Bioware is getting flack for talk on DA3 specifically due to Mass Effect 3. However, some people miss on exactly why people may have had an issue with the ME3 microtransactions because it really was a single Microtransaction that caused the uproar. The other ones were a lot more optional. (And like ME2, people would hardly talk about them)

The thing causing the most uproar was Javik. They made people pay a significant extra amount of money to have him at launch, even though he was ready before the game released. The problem being that Javik was a major, if not, crucial plot point. It was fine before in ME2, when you can get some *extra* character that didn't ultimately matter much in the main campaign; but when you put a day one DLC character as a main plot point, it seems like they're simply raising the cost of their game in a not-so-sneaky method. ME2 character DLC, optional side content. ME3 character DLC, central plot point.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#83levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:16:44 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Halo 4 didn't have micro-transactions, it didn't even have an online pass.

Wrong. Halo 4 requires Live Gold to play Spartan Ops which is included on the disc, even if you want to solo it offline. And who sells Live? And how expensive is Live compared to a micro-transaction?

Xbox live is a subscription. It is not a micro-transaction. Xbox live can be applied for various other games and it helps pays for server costs ( I hope).
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#84levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:18:49 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

Entitlement. Gamers these days... wow. I look forward to the day you leave the security of your parents wing and maybe even get a job, then wonder why people think whatever service you provide should be free and hate you if you don't give it for free.

Going for the personal attacks are we?
---
#85SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 8:22:07 AM
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

That wasn't a personal attack. Adults realize everything can't be free and aren't petulant enough to hate when it isn't.
---
#86pothocketPosted 1/24/2013 8:30:27 AM
Geist posted...
pothocket posted...
Geist posted...
This topic reminded me to buy the weapon packs for ME3. Just wanted to say thanks. Having so much fun with my instant death pistol!!

Good luck spending a random amount of money trying to get what you want.

So kind of like when you buy any game, movie, candy bar, cd, so on and so on....

WHO THE **** BUYS RANDOM CANDY BARS UNTIL THEY GET THE ONE THEY WANT?! God man, think first.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#87levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 8:38:33 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

That wasn't a personal attack. Adults realize everything can't be free and aren't petulant enough to hate when it isn't.

I know things aren't free, what I have a problem is that companies have to go through low condescending approaches to extract money from consumers. The tactics involved especially is microtransactions. It tales away from games becoming art and ruins its image. I personally would rather pay in bulk amounts. Expansions ranging $40 and up, sure but microtransactions I hate. I despise heavily on making a cheap buck. Borderlands 2 for example with it's skins DLC priced for a dollar each. Where as compared to the core experience of the game it is added within the price of the retail copy. Microtransactions especially demonstrates no effort in making a focused well thought out product. It represents the lowest common denominator in performing a business hence Zynga's tactics and the backlash it got with FarmVille.
---
#88_OujiDoza_Posted 1/24/2013 8:44:50 AM
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
levyjl1988 posted...

I think that way of thinking is out of line, adults (which are consumers) do focus on value just as much as the average non adult, it's just on a more mature level, I think you are living in a entirely different world than those who actually do try to keep money in their pockets from time to time, your argument has become incredibly irrational.

I am an adult contrary to what you may think, and quite a few other posters here are as well, we just all have varying opinions about how business is conducted among these gaming entities - is that so wrong? Just because people don't agree with a groups methods doesn't mean we are all "hurr I want this for free!!! hurr!!!" We know when we are being hit at the hip, man...and sometimes it's just not right.

I'm curious though: to those who are on the other side of this argument (yourself included): what do you do for a living? I have to think you are a little closer to the argument than others the way you back the practices so adamantly...or maybe you look to run a business of your own? I'm just curious. Maybe we in fact can't relate, or maybe you are just arguing for sake of, I dunno - I just feel that this somewhat new practice of microtransactions is a bit too aggressive for the concious consumer, but for the most part if somebody has a beef with it and they are in a sense paying customers, why should they NOT be allowed to speak on it?

As for the TC's poll: I couldn't even vote because the options are too horribly skewed honestly, so I do tend to think it was made with bias.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#89SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 9:01:24 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
I think that way of thinking is out of line, adults (which are consumers) do focus on value just as much as the average non adult, it's just on a more mature level, I think you are living in a entirely different world than those who actually do try to keep money in their pockets from time to time, your argument has become incredibly irrational.

How so? What is irrational about a casual gamer wanting unlocks sooner in his SP campaign, or people enjoying free map packs?

Look at the examples being trotted out in this thread by the detractors: Arkham City, Borderlands 2, Gears 3, Dead Space 3. I can't speak for DS3 yet obviously but the devs have said it's twice as long as the previous games. Most gamers if they're being honest would admit the other games are all excellent value for money. Yet here they are whining because some additional skin wasn't included for free. As I said, they never ever talk about the value of what they are getting. It is completely irrelevant to them apparently. All they see is, "OMG that skin isn't free. They suck! Money grabbers!" Is that rational? As a consumer I look at what is being offered (X) for what price (Y), and if it looks like good value I'm happy with that. Seems like common sense, no?
---
#90_OujiDoza_Posted 1/24/2013 9:16:04 AM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
How so? What is irrational about a casual gamer wanting unlocks sooner in his SP campaign, or people enjoying free map packs?

Look at the examples being trotted out in this thread by the detractors: Arkham City, Borderlands 2, Gears 3, Dead Space 3. I can't speak for DS3 yet obviously but the devs have said it's twice as long as the previous games. Most gamers if they're being honest would admit the other games are all excellent value for money. Yet here they are whining because some additional skin wasn't included for free. As I said, they never ever talk about the value of what they are getting. It is completely irrelevant to them apparently. All they see is, "OMG that skin isn't free. They suck! Money grabbers!" Is that rational? As a consumer I look at what is being offered (X) for what price (Y), and if it looks like good value I'm happy with that. Seems like common sense, no?

I would argue a different point: I would say it's not that the extra content is what pisses everyone off, but the thought/concept of it, actually.

I'll use Street Fighter for example here. Now for me, I thought the game itself was great value, then they released DLC for the alternate costumes. Knowing nothing of thee fact that the costumes were already on the disk (supposedly) i went ahead and reluctantly bought a few packs, now even to this day I personally don't regret doing it, but when I did find out that some of the skins or whatever were in the game and just required a bit more playing, I was kinda bothered by it. it was just knowing that that upset me, not really biting the bullet to buy it, but had I known I probably would not have purchased the dlc right away.

Now lets look at Gears; I am a day 1 kinda guy for the Gears series - I've bought just about all the dlc that has come out...with one exception: the weapon skins. It's not that the weapon skins are dlc that bothers me, it's the price in which they feel it's worth that really gets me, also add the fact that some (not sure if you argue this) have claimed that a bunch of the skins are accessible in game, they aren't, the only way you can get most of them is by buying the packs, which are over-valued imo.

Now the easy escape for something like this is "if you don't like it, just don't buy it, but if you know anything about business and about the mind of the consumer, you would know that most consumer, even if they don't agree with how the product is being sold to them, will still reluctantly make the transaction if for no other reason than they feel they are not getting the "complete" experience withing the game if some content is in fact missing. Companies know this and they play off of it, you would have to be incredibly naive to think otherwise.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)