This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you gamers feel about micro-transactions in gaming?

#91SheepinatorPosted 1/24/2013 10:30:25 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
I'll use Street Fighter for example here. Now for me, I thought the game itself was great value, then they released DLC for the alternate costumes... Now lets look at Gears; I am a day 1 kinda guy for the Gears series - I've bought just about all the dlc that has come out...with one exception: the weapon skins. It's not that the weapon skins are dlc that bothers me, it's the price in which they feel it's worth that really gets me, also add the fact that some (not sure if you argue this) have claimed that a bunch of the skins are accessible in game, they aren't, the only way you can get most of them is by buying the packs, which are over-valued imo.

There are a number of free Gears 3 weapon skins. I'm like you, bought Gears 3 + season pass, didn't buy a single skin. It doesn't concern me in the slightest that they are there. If someone else wants them or uses them, it makes no difference to me. And you said it yourself, SF was great value, just like the other games in this thread the detractors are complaining about.

Let's take a hypothetical. A developer releases a game packed full of content and in addition they have in their studio a huge amount of additional content they decided to make. Tons more levels, characters, bosses, etc. etc. If you never know about that, your game is probably great value to you. But if you do know, you are being ripped off? No. They have exactly zero obligation to offer that to you, whether for free or for a price. If what you got for your money was what was promised, and it was great value, then it's silly to hate on it.

will still reluctantly make the transaction if for no other reason than they feel they are not getting the "complete" experience

I know people make that argument and I find it rather stupid. How many perfect games are there? So let's examine what's in a typical game for most people. It includes modes you don't like and never play, characters you never use, content you never saw, glitches, padding, poorly designed features, and so on. Who cares about wanting all that stuff? For example, I've been playing AC3 and the crafting is utterly useless. Total waste of time to implement and add to the game. But hey the game is "complete" with it? Err, no thanks. Designers are people too, they make mistakes. And let's say you buy all the Gears 3 weapon skins, who are you impressing with your "complete" collection? Who cares?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#92GeistPosted 1/24/2013 10:56:08 AM
pothocket posted...
Geist posted...
pothocket posted...
Geist posted...
This topic reminded me to buy the weapon packs for ME3. Just wanted to say thanks. Having so much fun with my instant death pistol!!

Good luck spending a random amount of money trying to get what you want.

So kind of like when you buy any game, movie, candy bar, cd, so on and so on....

WHO THE **** BUYS RANDOM CANDY BARS UNTIL THEY GET THE ONE THEY WANT?! God man, think first.

Are you illiterate? Can you not read the descriptions of download content? I had assumed you were not dumb enough to think DLC is a grab bag of random things and no one knows what they are buying. Was I wrong to assume this?
---
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3
#93pothocketPosted 1/24/2013 11:00:22 AM(edited)
No, I'm not dumb. You should've been more clear that you weren't buying packs from the co-op mode. Because if you tell people you're buying weapon packs in ME3, that's the first thing they're going to think of. But still, it was pretty obvious that those packs are what I was referring to.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#94GeistPosted 1/24/2013 11:25:22 AM
pothocket posted...
No, I'm not dumb. You should've been more clear that you weren't buying packs from the co-op mode. Because if you tell people you're buying weapon packs in ME3, that's the first thing they're going to think of. But still, it was pretty obvious that those packs are what I was referring to.

Really? So there are DLC packs out there that have no description and no one knows what they are buying? Interesting, mind linking or telling me a few, cause I have never seen one and I download things for all kinds of games.
---
Currently playing: Mass Effect 3
#95pothocketPosted 1/24/2013 11:28:40 AM
Geist posted...
pothocket posted...

Really? So there are DLC packs out there that have no description and no one knows what they are buying? Interesting, mind linking or telling me a few, cause I have never seen one and I download things for all kinds of games.

Yes, the "free" DLC for ME3 can only be purchased through randomized weapon packs.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#96master_gamr1231Posted 1/24/2013 11:58:07 AM
Geist posted...
pothocket posted...

Seriously? You haven't heard of this? Well, whenever you buy any item pack in the ME 3 MP, it's entirely random. You have no idea what you're going to get beyond knowing that you'll get at least one "rare" item, one "uncommon" item, or whatever that particular pack description specifies. You can buy the packs either with in-game credits or MSP. So, yes, by spending MSP you are buying in-game things with microtransactions where you do not know what they are until you bought them.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#97ChargrilledPosted 1/24/2013 11:59:51 AM
I dont mind them at all.

Extra weaps for a rpg, or dtuff like that. Ill buy em all.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#98_OujiDoza_Posted 1/24/2013 12:28:30 PM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
There are a number of free Gears 3 weapon skins. I'm like you, bought Gears 3 + season pass, didn't buy a single skin. It doesn't concern me in the slightest that they are there. If someone else wants them or uses them, it makes no difference to me. And you said it yourself, SF was great value, just like the other games in this thread the detractors are complaining about.

Again, it's the thought that it could have been included that gets to people, coupled with the question of what the price point could/should be. I didn't buy the weapon skins but I would have loved to have them - it would have completed my collection of what all I have already bought for gears 3, but I just can't justify the price point and it does frustrate me a bit.

Sheepinator posted...
Let's take a hypothetical. A developer releases a game packed full of content and in addition they have in their studio a huge amount of additional content they decided to make. Tons more levels, characters, bosses, etc. etc. If you never know about that, your game is probably great value to you. But if you do know, you are being ripped off? No. They have exactly zero obligation to offer that to you, whether for free or for a price. If what you got for your money was what was promised, and it was great value, then it's silly to hate on it.

I think if the additional content is done in the form of an expansion and priced appropriately then there is no real problem there, that said you have factor in how that additional content affects the core game itself; "will I need the extra content to actually feel the game is finished?" "will I need the content to actually finish the game?" "are cheevos added specifically for the added content, or are there already cheevos in game that can't be completed unless I buy the extra stuff?" All fo that plays a role here. If content is simply being added to further enhance the gaming experience and it has a fair price point I don't see a valid argument against it, but that said I'm not gonna knock somebody for potentially wanting the product but not agreeing with it's cost.

Sheepinator posted...
I know people make that argument and I find it rather stupid. How many perfect games are there?

I don't feel that really has much to do with wanting a complete game though.

Sheepinator posted...
It includes modes you don't like and never play, characters you never use, content you never saw, glitches, padding, poorly designed features, and so on. Who cares about wanting all that stuff?

People who simply want to justify a $60 dollar purchase. See the thing is that just because a person can be well - off about his/her money, that doesn't instantly mean they blindly spend it - hell, most of the time some of the more cheaper people you will ever meet are quite well - off, it's a state of mind.

Sheepinator posted...
For example, I've been playing AC3 and the crafting is utterly useless. Total waste of time to implement and add to the game. But hey the game is "complete" with it? Err, no thanks. Designers are people too, they make mistakes.

Nobody denies that designers make mistakes, but you can't deny either that without the consumer, the designer would never know if they screwed up or not, and thus the problem would never be fixed. Let's face it, in this day and age, we are the only real testers that designers have and we aren't getting paid for it, lol.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#99_OujiDoza_Posted 1/24/2013 12:26:35 PM
We know everyone can only be human and that mistakes will occur, but that doesn't mean we should just turn our heads when a glitch pops up, this is our money we are talking about here - we would like it if we got exactly what we paid for, and if a game has a flaw, did we pay for that flaw?

Sheepinator posted...
And let's say you buy all the Gears 3 weapon skins, who are you impressing with your "complete" collection? Who cares?

I don't buy it to show off, I buy it for me...what others think about it comes secondary. Maybe I just want to have it? I dunno, everyone thinks differently, we shouldn't be punished for that, should we? Maybe I'm a pack rat, or a collector freak, why should it matter why I want it, it's why I can't justify getting it that is the issue in a consumer's mind.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#100Hello10000Posted 1/24/2013 12:34:29 PM
If I really like a game then I may do it but not for stupid stuff like clothes or color swaps. The last console game I bought DLC for was Fable 3 and I only bought the mission stuff.

Pc wise, depends on if I really like the mmo. So far I only buy stuff for Wizard101 and DFO and that is rarely.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of Kingler]
Pokemon White FC: 3267 4497 6644 Name: Ash