This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wanting to support a video game with a Black female lead makes me racist

#1NintendologicalPosted 1/22/2013 7:49:12 PM
The other day a buddy of mine shot an email over to me asking if I had heard of about a new game called: ĎRemember Meí which is scheduled to come out this summer....Well, the homey:íMikeí sent me a heads up about this new game and it went something like this:

Mike: Slaus have you heard about that new game coming out called: Remember Me? It kind of looks like Deus Ex cept it features a Black chick as the lead character.

Slaus Caldwell: There is a damn game coming out with a Black woman as the lead? Seriously? Ohhhhh ****. Itís an action Role Playing game? Yeah Iím getting that. Not passing up the opportunity to NOT buy an RPG with a black woman as the main character. I pretty much HAVE to buy it.

Mike: Why do you HAVE to. You donít know if Itís good or bad and you always talk about how you never buy games without knowing if they are good or not.

Slaus Caldwell: Man itís not only a genre I like to play but it has a Black protagonist? Far as iím concerned I HAVE no real choice. I HAVE to support a game like this to let developers know how much I appreciate the fact that not only is there a woman as the main character but a BLACK woman? Itís non-negotiable.

Mike: Sounds kind of racist to me.

SlausCaldwell: :: cue the reverse racism whining session ::

Mike: Just saying. It sounds racist. If I said I was only buying games because they had white males as the lead character, that would be wrong, but you wanting to buy game just because the lead character is Black is ok?

Slaus Caldwell: Ohhhh Goddddd. What is it with people and False Equivalence these days. YOU donít have to try very hard to find any games featuring a white male lead because thatís 99% of the games on the market. You could go into Gamestop blindfolded, trip and spin around thrice, grab any random game on the shelf and chances are itís gonna be a white dude saving the world. ME on the other hand, I have to look high and low to try and find a game that has a Black lead in it THAT ISNĒT A DAMN SPORTS GAME. So Tell me this.. How many video games have come out in the last 20 years that featured a Black female lead?

Mike: I donít know but Iím sure there are more than a few.

Slaus Caldwell: name Ďem. Name me 5.

Mike: Damn Dude. Dramatic much?

Slaus Caldwell: Name me every video game that has been released in the last 20 years.

Mike: Thatís ridiculous, Slaus. I canít possibly name all of that.

Slaus Caldwell: Right.. you canít possibly. And out of all those games you canít name me 5 with a Black female lead? Name me 3? Name me any?

Mike: Rochelle in Left For Dead 2. She is one of the main characters.

SlausCaldwell: And letís not forget Sheva from RE5, Rochelle from L4D2, and Aveline from Assassinís Creed: Liberation. Three games in 20 years? But Iím a racist because I want to support developers who actually decide to switch things up a bit an create a game with a Black woman the lead? As much as Black women get crapped on DAILY in this world, if taking $60 and some time to support the fact that someone wants to give them some shine in a non-stereotypical manner makes me out to be a racist, then Iíll be that.

Mike: I never thought of it like that.

http://ohnblog.com/newohnblog/2013/01/15/wanting-to-support-a-video-game-with-a-black-female-lead-makes-me-a-racist-apparently/

I am curious how all of you feel about the dearth of positive ethnic minority leads in modern video games. Also, how do you feel about minorities who desire to see a greater level of inclusion? I've seen quite a few people respond to such arguments by stating that "<insert minority group> should start their own studios and include their own ethnic group in the games." Is that a fair thing to say?
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2kungfuj0Posted 1/22/2013 8:34:59 PM(edited)
As a black man, I've said the same thing myself many times. The BEST way for there to be more blacks, women, or black women for that matter, in games (or any other medium), is for us to start making our own. I think that is a very fair statement and a very true one as well.

I think people in general tend to create things in their own image. When I play a game that allows me to create my own character, that character ends up black pretty much whenever possible. I don't consider that racist on my part, nor would I think as much if a white or asian or latino person created characters of their own races. I just think its human nature.

And its not that I have a problem playing as a character of a different race. I've been playing games in some form for 30 years now, and the overwhelming majority of those games featured non-black characters, so its not an issue to me.

The bottom line is that if I ever want to truly put myself into a game, then the best way to go about it is to create my own game. Obviously, I am not in a position to do that, so I have to take what I can get.

As for the guys in the email, I don't think the one guy is racist. I think he's just supporting a company for doing something in a game that he likes. He liked that the company made a game with a black female lead, and he wants to support them for doing so. That doesn't make him any different than any of us here who bought The Witcher 2 from CD Projekt because we liked how that company treated its customers. I bought that game too, and I don't even like it that much, but I am happy to do right by companies who I feel are doing right by their customers.

Now, I don't know that I, myself would go out and buy a game JUST because it had a black female lead. It would take more than that to get me to bite these days, But I do understand where the guy is coming from. I don't think it means he's racist...I think it means that he's supporting a company for doing something that he likes or believes in.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#3Hawke0Posted 1/22/2013 8:14:43 PM
I think it's stupid to make a big deal about anything having to do with race, but saying you're racist for wanting to support a game with a black female lead is beyond stupid. It's your money, not mine.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#4ymmac1707Posted 1/22/2013 8:18:28 PM
Tribal Sheva was great in RE5
#5kungfuj0Posted 1/22/2013 8:20:32 PM
I think it's stupid to make a big deal about anything having to do with race

Trust me, I'll be damn glad when we get to the point where we no longer have to ever bring up race. Unfortunately, we are not quite there yet.

As the old saying goes, "We've come a long way, but we've still got a long way to go."
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#6TheMuffinPosted 1/22/2013 8:20:53 PM
Looking at the character, I don't think she's black. She looks like a tanned Caucasian chick. She's even voiced by a white Welsh woman.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/285/0/6/remember_me___nilin_render_2_by_ivances-d5hkfg1.png

So honestly, I think the point is pretty moot regardless.
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#7Hawke0Posted 1/22/2013 8:25:21 PM
kungfuj0 posted...
I think it's stupid to make a big deal about anything having to do with race

Trust me, I'll be damn glad when we get to the point where we no longer have to ever bring up race. Unfortunately, we are not quite there yet.

As the old saying goes, "We've come a long way, but we've still got a long way to go."

Sadly true.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#8Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/22/2013 8:28:43 PM
I think a lot of devs are afraid to have black leads in particular due to higher negative outcry at typical video game tropes, especially for women.

For example,

Lollipop Chainsaw = High School Teenager, sexualized costumes...cheesy.
Resident Evil 5 = African woman, sexualized tribal outfit....offensive, racist.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#9Dragon NexusPosted 1/22/2013 8:34:00 PM
Looking at the character, I don't think she's black. She looks like a tanned Caucasian chick. She's even voiced by a white Welsh woman.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/285/0/6/remember_me___nilin_render_2_by_ivances-d5hkfg1.png

That's the design? She's black the same way Sheva's black. As Yahtzee put it she looks like a white woman dipped in tea.

There's no black characteristic about her facial design at all.
As for the conversation, it is kinda racist. Like all the black guys who said "Finally I can vote for someone now we have a black guy running for president!" while simultaniousy decrying all the white guys who said they weren't going to vote for Obama for that exact same reason.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#10liquidblue4Posted 1/22/2013 8:44:01 PM
TheMuffin posted...

Yeah... she's not black...

Of course... there are actually people that think that Jade from Beyond Good & Evil is black too... so yeah.
---
GT: Liquidbiue4
PSN: Liquidblue4