This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wanting to support a video game with a Black female lead makes me racist

#61WeaponX1138Posted 1/24/2013 4:17:58 AM
Nintendological posted...
WeaponX1138 posted...
If a bunch of black people make a bunch of video games, there will be a bunch more black protagonists.

That is all.

Not true at all. Remember when the Spawn film came out in the mid 90s and two of the primary characters were turned into White people because of the fear that White audiences would think of Spawn as a "Black movie"? etc....

Different medium, but my point still stands. Tyler Perry makes movies full of black folk, as do the Wayans' or Spike Lee.
Broadly speaking, people create characters they identify with, they go with what they know. White people tend to create stories about white folk and so on. It isn't racism, it's just what is.
If I were inclined to write a story, be it for the purposes of a movie, or a novel, I'd be inclined to write about a white protagonist, because that's what I am and that's what I understand more than anything else.
---
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.
GT: SilentMark1138 SteamID Silentmark1138
#62NightTerrorX99Posted 1/24/2013 5:18:00 AM
I would like to point out after reading the original posts, you both are irrelevant. He didn't need to buy anything and sounds like he is talking out of his ass, and you didn't need to come here and regurgitate the same information as if it had any real discussion value.
---
Pokemon White FC: 3998 2670 7555
#63Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 11:11:47 AM
NightTerrorX99 posted...
I would like to point out after reading the original posts, you both are irrelevant. He didn't need to buy anything and sounds like he is talking out of his ass, and you didn't need to come here and regurgitate the same information as if it had any real discussion value.

Not my blog, not my conversation. I didn't have enough space to use quotes for the topic title. However, if you read the first post as you claim, you would have seen me post a link to the blog and you would have seen my commentary asking for opinions on what the author discussed.

WeaponX1138 posted...
Different medium, but my point still stands. Tyler Perry makes movies full of black folk, as do the Wayans' or Spike Lee. Broadly speaking, people create characters they identify with, they go with what they know. White people tend to create stories about white folk and so on. It isn't racism, it's just what is. If I were inclined to write a story, be it for the purposes of a movie, or a novel, I'd be inclined to write about a white protagonist, because that's what I am and that's what I understand more than anything else.

Still not true. F. Gary Gary directed A Man Apart, The Italian Job, Be Cool and Law Abiding Citizen. The Hughes brothers produced From Hell and directed The Book of Eli. Steve McQueen directed Hunger (starring Michael Fassbender). Just because Spike Lee is vocal and Perry is prominent doesn't make them representative of the whole.

And I reject your entire argument that people are compelled to create characters that look like them because that is all they understand. Some of the best minority characters in fiction have been created by Whites. Brian K. Vaughn created a mixed race super hero team for the comic book, The Runaways. Vaughn also created the character Agent 355, for Y: The Last Man. Rue, Thresh and Cinna from Hunger games were created by a White female author. Stephanie Meyers, love her or hate her, featured Black vampires and Native American Werewolves in Twilight.

Honestly, video games are the only medium truly lagging in this regard. Heck, Quentin Tarantino just made Django Unchained, a new take on the slave narrative, combined with the Western. So in films, comics and novels, you have Whites and Blacks helming content featuring different races in a non-stereotypical capacity, but video games are still dishing out trashy stereotype characters? That doesn't speak well for the medium.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#64mtjormitchPosted 1/24/2013 11:44:15 AM
kungfuj0 posted...
I think it's stupid to make a big deal about anything having to do with race

Trust me, I'll be damn glad when we get to the point where we no longer have to ever bring up race. Unfortunately, we are not quite there yet.

As the old saying goes, "We've come a long way, but we've still got a long way to go."

I honestly do not care. So what if you are black, white, Native American, middle eastern and such. Why should I care what race you all are? You wanna know what you all are to me.

HUMAN!

Seriously, you could be purple and I honestly wouldn't care... even though I fully admit that seeing a guy with purple would be different and I would probably be more worried if the guy wasn't breathing if anything. But anyways.

Hating a person over their skin color is insane. You should hate a person for far more than that, like if they are a jerk, a con artist, a user, a abuser, a convicted murderer and such as that. Those are good reasons to hate a person. I just honestly do not care for skin color whatsoever.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#65Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 1:36:30 PM
mtjormitch posted...
kungfuj0 posted...

Trust me, I'll be damn glad when we get to the point where we no longer have to ever bring up race. Unfortunately, we are not quite there yet.

As the old saying goes, "We've come a long way, but we've still got a long way to go."

I honestly do not care. So what if you are black, white, Native American, middle eastern and such. Why should I care what race you all are? You wanna know what you all are to me.

HUMAN!

Seriously, you could be purple and I honestly wouldn't care... even though I fully admit that seeing a guy with purple would be different and I would probably be more worried if the guy wasn't breathing if anything. But anyways.

Hating a person over their skin color is insane. You should hate a person for far more than that, like if they are a jerk, a con artist, a user, a abuser, a convicted murderer and such as that. Those are good reasons to hate a person. I just honestly do not care for skin color whatsoever.

Being "colorblind" is a great ideal in a perfect world, but the inherent problems with such a position only further contribute to racism. The greatest caveat of being "colorblind" is that it leads people to not acknowledge when there is a racially based disparity. Colorblind individuals will find some way to blame it on the environment or the individual rather than the possibility of racism.

Being "colorblind" also prevents people from having to deal with the social and economic advantages that have been gained because of their ethnic affiliation, without having to acknowledge that their social standing may be linked to a history of racial benefit. It creates the mythical logic of "I got here all by myself, and you can too", even when that statement is very untrue.

Being "colorblind" seems like a great idea, but ultimately, it only helps the existing problem. Things won't be resolved until people are willing to face the sins of the past, acknowledge them, apologize and move forward. But saying "it was a long time ago" or "get over it" or "I only see people for people" do absolutely nothing to advance the discourse or eliminate the problem.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#66mtjormitchPosted 1/24/2013 3:08:33 PM
mtjormitch posted...
kungfuj0 posted...

HUMAN!

Being "colorblind" is a great ideal in a perfect world, but the inherent problems with such a position only further contribute to racism. The greatest caveat of being "colorblind" is that it leads people to not acknowledge when there is a racially based disparity. Colorblind individuals will find some way to blame it on the environment or the individual rather than the possibility of racism.

Being "colorblind" also prevents people from having to deal with the social and economic advantages that have been gained because of their ethnic affiliation, without having to acknowledge that their social standing may be linked to a history of racial benefit. It creates the mythical logic of "I got here all by myself, and you can too", even when that statement is very untrue.

Being "colorblind" seems like a great idea, but ultimately, it only helps the existing problem. Things won't be resolved until people are willing to face the sins of the past, acknowledge them, apologize and move forward. But saying "it was a long time ago" or "get over it" or "I only see people for people" do absolutely nothing to advance the discourse or eliminate the problem.

Dude. I myself am a Native American. If I was to walk into a freaking meeting of people pissed off that Mexicans are taking over their homeland we can make them instantly awkward. I gotta admit that it is hilarious. Also due to having Asperger I simply don't care... for real. I just... don't. I find everyone weird and I myself am weird.

Also, I feel that the actions of a person is what they should be judged by instead of the color of their skin. It really makes no sense logically any other way. Something I should tell you about Aspergers is that we think very... logically. We don't really get sarcasm or anything, we also don't get a lot of things about... well... things that don't have any common sense behind them like copy right laws and such. Just as an example.

Logically, people ARE people. Nothing else should matter other than their actions and attitude. Looking to the past to prevent a future is dandy, but remaining in the past to focus on the present is what causes things like racism anyways. We should all just stop being babies and just say sorry for people in the past and present for being jerks and MOVE ON! We are humans dammit. I don't simply don't care what you are just as long as you don't eat babies in your basement your cool with me.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#67lubmelubyouPosted 1/24/2013 3:32:42 PM(edited)
Things won't be resolved until people are willing to face the sins of the past, acknowledge them, apologize and move forward. But saying "it was a long time ago" or "get over it" or "I only see people for people" do absolutely nothing to advance the discourse or eliminate the problem.

Disagree, apologising for something that you are not responsible for would be accepting liability solely based on your race, therefore adding fictional substance or weight to the claims of the racist idiots who hate the white man. Thus intensifying racism.
---
Buy a PC so you can have tomorrow's technology with yesterday's games, today!
#68Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 5:22:07 PM
mtjormitch posted...

Also, I feel that the actions of a person is what they should be judged by instead of the color of their skin. It really makes no sense logically any other way. Something I should tell you about Aspergers is that we think very... logically. We don't really get sarcasm or anything, we also don't get a lot of things about... well... things that don't have any common sense behind them like copy right laws and such. Just as an example.

I'm not denying the goal or logic behind the idea of treating people as people (as individuals). It is what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. strived for. However, the day to apply that logic is not there here and now. Which is why I spoke of being colorblind in terms of ideals and practically. Ideally, even logically, we should be able to judge people based solely on their own actions. Realistically however, we do not live in such a world.

lubmelubyou posted...

Disagree, apologising for something that you are not responsible for would be accepting liability solely based on your race, therefore adding fictional substance or weight to the claims of the racist idiots who hate the white man. Thus intensifying racism.

It isn't based solely on race. It is about the history connected to race. Consider this:

During slavery, a slave was not allowed to be taught to read or to write. They could not receive an education, and given their status as chattel, they could own no property. For hundreds of years, their oppressors were able to amass material wealth, resources and knowledge while their slaves were unable to do the same. These same slaves were given their "freedom", except they were not allowed to live in the areas where there was wealth, attend the well equipped educational institutions, or even work many of the same jobs. In fact, most of the best paying jobs were not open to most of these descendants of slaves.

On the other hand, the descendants of the oppressors were able to benefit from lower than usual competition, because the potential workforce pool was highly limited (Sexism is also a factor here, but lets not make this longer than it has to be by talking about the exclusion of women). Then lets consider that when these same disenfranchised people attempted to improve the quality of their life by exercising their right to vote, they were coerced into not using this right, under the threat of extreme terrorism (see: the history of lynching in the United States of America and the Ku Klux Klan).

For all of those hundreds of years, the oppressors gained an immense advantage by oppressing an entire group of people. Then in 1964, the majority of those laws and behaviors that unjustly favored the oppressor, were done away with. Rather than taking that moment in history to work toward social equity, descendants of the oppressors would use that moment to justify the rationale that the descendants of the slaves should have caught up by now since they have supposedly had enough time to do so.

In other words, Black Americans should have become leading citizens over a forty-eight year period, even though for over three hundred years, they were placed at an extreme socioeconomic disadvantage. Then remember that the descendants of the oppressors deny any responsibility for this history, because rather than recognize that they benefited from this long history of wrong doing, it is far easier to dismiss it and dismiss the complaints of the people who never had an even playing field.

I leave you with this

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3507/4053530881_05199480dc.jpg
---
#69foodeater4Posted 1/24/2013 5:26:01 PM
Great_Pudding_3 posted...
I think a lot of devs are afraid to have black leads in particular due to higher negative outcry at typical video game tropes, especially for women.

Resident Evil 5 = African woman, sexualized tribal outfit....offensive, racist.

Well that was realy capcoms own fault really. It was a bonus costume and they could have always went a different route, but again its a bonus costume so you can easily choose not to use it. I enjoyed it cause it was a bit more TnA in the game. Actually reminded more of Tyris Flare from golden axe then any sort of racist stuff.

Sheva's normal outfit was actually real nice and the character was good too. Was to bad she didnt make it to RE6.
#70joka19Posted 1/25/2013 2:52:49 PM
It's sad that as humans, 2 people can find a way to, even though having the same anatomy, differentiate themselves based off of any variations they can find. Sadly, that stupid and simplistic way of thinking has ballooned into topics like this even existing.
---
I might explode.