This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

final fantasy XI...any good on 360? Or ignore and get it on pc?

#1ToastyAnakinPosted 1/23/2013 2:18:09 PM
I am interested in FFXI because the game has lasted so long. Does it play well on the 360 or am i better off getting it on pc?
---
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)
#2bob15xPosted 1/23/2013 2:27:33 PM
ignore. Bad port.

Also there is a very bad problem with xbox version. If you do not shut it down properly it will not read the disk anymore unless you format your hard drive and do a full reinstall. Considering that Square has the worst patch servers in the history of man kind, it takes about 12+ hours to upgrade the software. Their patches download at dial up speeds.

So one xbox crash and you are done.
#3Optimus_ConvoyPosted 1/23/2013 2:36:50 PM
It plays well.
I actually prefer it on 360, but my pc is trash.
The new expansion comes out in March.
SE has confirmed an xbox 360 release, but I can't find pre order on gamestop yet for the 360 yet, only pc version. If money is a factor then Pc will be the cheaper route I'm sure.
For the 360 version to be up to date(as of this post) you'd need to buy the FFXI Ultimate collection, then buy the 3 Abyssea expansions from SE website. The Abyssea expansions are about $10 each iirc, and are pretty much nessicary for most leveling past level 30 in groups these days. However you can't actually enter Abyssea until level 30+.

The shutdown problem the previous user mentioned isn't an issue if you shut down properly. as for the download times yeah, it will take a while to download all the updates, but the same can be said about any MMO that has been out a decade.
---
Sifl and Olly are back? Super Cres! Now let's all party at dood's house.
#4KtuluheroIIPosted 1/23/2013 2:39:29 PM
FFXI was designed to play on consoles, so it plays well on the 360. PC gives you access to windower plus pugins making it better than the console versions.
---
http://i.imgur.com/47zOc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MsEGm.jpg
#5bob15xPosted 1/24/2013 7:13:09 AM
Optimus_Convoy posted...
It plays well.
I actually prefer it on 360, but my pc is trash.
The new expansion comes out in March.
SE has confirmed an xbox 360 release, but I can't find pre order on gamestop yet for the 360 yet, only pc version. If money is a factor then Pc will be the cheaper route I'm sure.
For the 360 version to be up to date(as of this post) you'd need to buy the FFXI Ultimate collection, then buy the 3 Abyssea expansions from SE website. The Abyssea expansions are about $10 each iirc, and are pretty much nessicary for most leveling past level 30 in groups these days. However you can't actually enter Abyssea until level 30+.

The shutdown problem the previous user mentioned isn't an issue if you shut down properly. as for the download times yeah, it will take a while to download all the updates, but the same can be said about any MMO that has been out a decade.

fyi, xboxs can crash.
#6cup_a_soupPosted 1/24/2013 7:30:28 AM
The only time the Xbox version can crash is in the Einherjar and Campaign battles, where there can be up to 200 people within close proximity. Those crashes aren't frequent though.

The benefit of playing the PC version is the mods, whereas the benefit of the 360 version is achievements. You could essentially play it on PC then just use the 360 version to unlock achievements (accounts are transferable, and it supports cross-platform play).
#7memphis12Posted 1/24/2013 7:35:39 AM
I might try this game, I'm at work so if anyone could briefly sum this game up for me, that would be great. I'l post on the FFXI as well later, if it's active.

Is it P2P?
Does it have guilds?
Is there a demo available?
What FF game would you most liken it to & what FF game is the combat most like?

Does this review have valid points? http://m.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/928330-final-fantasy-xi/reviews/review-114457
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#8bob15xPosted 1/24/2013 7:56:31 AM
memphis12 posted...
I might try this game, I'm at work so if anyone could briefly sum this game up for me, that would be great. I'l post on the FFXI as well later, if it's active.

Is it P2P?
Does it have guilds?
Is there a demo available?
What FF game would you most liken it to & what FF game is the combat most like?

Does this review have valid points? http://m.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/928330-final-fantasy-xi/reviews/review-114457

it is an mmo and costs 12.99 a month to play. It is not like any FF game because it is a mmo
#9bob15xPosted 1/24/2013 7:58:04 AM
cup_a_soup posted...
The only time the Xbox version can crash is in the Einherjar and Campaign battles, where there can be up to 200 people within close proximity. Those crashes aren't frequent though.

The benefit of playing the PC version is the mods, whereas the benefit of the 360 version is achievements. You could essentially play it on PC then just use the 360 version to unlock achievements (accounts are transferable, and it supports cross-platform play).

dude, are you stupid? Xboxs can crash, it doesn't have to be in the game. and doesn't matter if it isnt frequent, it crashes you are looking at 12+ hours of updates.
#10AkaimizuPosted 1/24/2013 8:05:31 AM(edited)
Even though it is different than most other Final Fantasies, the closest Final Fantasy to FFXI is probably FFXII. In that feel is similar, they both have the classic player travel with large outdoor environments and playfields. Having to deal with mobs you can see and trying to manage mob aggro. I do believe one key difference is how mobs in FFXII may attack each other on the field. (Outside it being single-player that is)

Still, often enough FFXII can feel like FFXI in the whole large-world mob and loot hunting aspect except you aren't having to deal with other players competing for specific creature hunts.

As of right now. If your PC is decent enough, that's probably the version to go for. The 360 version is only if you have a low end PC or laptop, by today's standards, or you already have a number of friends on 360 already playing this game. A while back, while I was playing this game on 360, I met and had a great group of friends who used party chat. To this day, a number of them I still play with on other games and keep in touch with.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)