This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a game you personally thought "so close to my perfect game"?

#61EliteGuard99Posted 1/24/2013 10:58:17 AM
memphis12 posted...
EliteGuard99 posted...
memphis12 posted...
AApt24 posted...
Only time this happened for me was Super Mario World when I was 5. Since then I've found flaws in every game I've played. The only game that came close for me was Oblivion but the gates of hell thing got real old real fast.

I was enjoying Oblivion until I realised enemies were scaling with me. It's all personal preference, but that's a game breaker for me.

"i didn't enjoy skyrim cuz the enemies were too easy and I stomped them, but Oblivion's scaling enemies posed to much of a challenge for me!"

I don't understand at all the scaling enemies ensured that the game never got boring.

No it didn't pose a challenge. It defeated the object of the game, well.. For me anyway. What's the point in getting better loot if the low level enemies get better loot! Scaling spoils a game. I want a game that has set levelled enemies. A troll is level 20.. He will smash you to pieces early game.. Later on you MIGHT stand a chance if you've levelled & geared correctly.
Dragons Dogma & Dark Souls implemented this perfectly.

I want a game to always challenge me. If my level cap is 50 make it so the lizards I fought when I was level 2 can be squished like the insects they are. Make it so a dragon who had been level 70 from the get go could be defeated with enough hard work and effort. Level scaling spoils a game for me personally.

But, each to their own dude :-) we all enjoy games for different reasons.

ah I see, alright thanks for the elaboration man, I respect your opinion and they way you like to play.

As for me the Mass Effect trilogy will always hold a special place im my heart.
---
"I like my weapons how I like my music, HEAVY and METAL! - Mordekaiser
#62JohnwaltPosted 1/24/2013 10:59:48 AM
Earthbound, Mother 3, Final fantasy XII.
---
May the odds be ever in your favor
#63pyreswordPosted 1/24/2013 11:06:39 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3, no questions asked. Although not necessarily my favorite game (It's up there though), I think its by far the closest to "perfection" I've seen in a game.
---
This is my signature.
#64Unpure_EuphoriaPosted 1/24/2013 11:09:50 AM
There are a lot of games I could list that did a lot of things right, but I won't go through them all. I'll list some from very recent memory.

The EA Sports FIFA series gets astoundingly better every year since the FIFA 10 release, the exponential growth since that release. The current release, 13, is insanely satisfying for days like today when I can't go out and play in real life. -ready for sports-games hating flames-

Dragon's Dogma does so many things right, but unfortunately the few things it does wrong imho are way too glaring to call it perfect or even close to. It gets special mention though because of all the things it does right.

The newest release of SSX is actually pretty great. Not sure what I'd improve off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could find something if it was a little more fresh in my head. Haven't played it in a few months.

Mass Effect 3 is so incredibly close. I love scifi, I love RPGs, I love third person shooters. The characters were developed and memorable, the game mechanics were simple but engrossing, huge variety of options for every type of player (making the game from a visual novel, to a ruthless TPS), great character customization and dialogue choices led to a main character I actually felt I was playing, not just controlling. Honestly I think the only thing I wish it had to make it better, was more. More side content, more stuff to explore, more quests, maybe even just one or two more recruitable characters. Just one or two though. That said, I didn't have any problems with the ending at all so that's not what I'd change. -once again, ready for the flames-
---
GT: iAmTheTot - No, really, I am. - http://tinyurl.com/bestgfaqstopic
http://lawlgaming.chatango.com/ - Live uncensored chat for gamers
#65Kou-NurasakaPosted 1/24/2013 11:11:12 AM
Final Fantasy XII.

You get this awesome story, and several great characters, but at the end of the day, both things fall flat.

Ashe and Bacsh were the only characters relevant to the story in any way. Balthier was in there a little bit, with his daddy issues, but it wasn't enough. Fran, Penelo, and Vaan were all so useless story wise.

And then the story gets immesnly interesting in Giruvegan, and then it just falls flat. It's kinda like a poor man's Paradise Lost.
#66SwagStarPosted 1/24/2013 11:17:00 AM
These games all were very close except for a few things

Batman Arkham CIty (open combat can be very difficult)

Red Dead Redemption (Shops and stores are useless)

Kirby Return to Dreamland (Not enough collectibles)

Assassins Creed 2 (Combat can get too easy)

Paper Mario (Too easy and has useless collectables)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Bad Online)

Mario Party 2 (Terrible AI)
#67Jakistan77Posted 1/24/2013 11:38:53 AM
Pokemon Gold
Final Fantasy III and IX
Final Fantasy Dissidia duodecim
Fire Emblem: SS
Borderlands 2
#68Jakistan77Posted 1/24/2013 11:41:22 AM
Oh yeah and Twilight Princess and Dishonored
#69Flen15Posted 1/24/2013 11:44:53 AM(edited)
stapler87 posted...
KotOR2 for me. Not that the game didn't have its flaws, but that game really drew me in. I could play that game over and over and not get bored of it.

As far as this gen goes, I'd say Fallout: New Vegas. I've poured hundreds of hours into that game over my various playthroughs and I still have a blast.

Don't know is it's been said yet, but you should check out the restored content mod for KotoR 2. It makes the game what it was intended to be.

Edit: Lol, after reading further I see you already know of it. Nm. But you should check it out sometime.
#70toomanymouthsPosted 1/24/2013 11:43:00 AM
Everquest - literally my perfect game until Planes of Power was released. Then... so close.

Pokemon Blue (graphics)
Warcraft III: TFT (ladder system)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (abuse of rpgs, etc.)
Rayman Origins (mildly redundant 2nd set of levels)
Super Smash Bros (N64) (limited characters)
Xenoblade Chronicles (graphics)
Final Fantasy XII (that story...)
Final Fantasy X (sphere grid/battle system)
Suikoden II (too short)